Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 AM

1000 Directory backlinks weigh down 10 quality backlinks?

Here is one answer that I have been trying to figure out (mixed answers).

Ok I know that 10 quality backlinks (related links, high pagerank) are better than 1000 free directories (non-related).

But, If I had 1000 free directories and 10 quality backlinks, would those 1000 free directory backlinks weigh me down or help?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEOptimizer View Post

Ok I know that 10 quality backlinks (related links, high pagerank) are better than 1000 free directories (non-related).

But, If I had 1000 free directories and 10 quality backlinks, would those 1000 free directory backlinks weigh me down or help?
No matter what type of link, it will give you "some" page rank juice. The higher its own PR and the more relevant to your site, the more PR juice it will give you, reason why many people say that 1000 crap link directories will give you same PR juice as 10 quality backlinks.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihai View Post
No matter what type of link, it will give you "some" page rank juice. The higher its own PR and the more relevant to your site, the more PR juice it will give you, reason why many people say that 1000 crap link directories will give you same PR juice as 10 quality backlinks.
Very well said....

Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 AM

But 1000 backlinks from directories may help u if they have some +PR1.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

It helps your site gain some PR if is it relevant site but if it is not, it's countless.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:40 PM

so it's pointless to add backlinks if the site is unrelated? what if it is a huge all inclusive directory and only a small section directly applies to your site? still helps a little, or not at all?

Old 08-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

The 1000 backlinks, achieved to quickly, with the same anchor text, might get you penalized in Google. They might appear unnatural. But more likely they would just be completly ignored. You will just be wasting your time.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
The 1000 backlinks, achieved to quickly, with the same anchor text, might get you penalized in Google. They might appear unnatural. But more likely they would just be completly ignored. You will just be wasting your time.
The best way to submit to directories is to change your anchor text for each submission to each directory, this should avoid google penalty

Old 08-15-2007, 02:15 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I think that it is very important to know if they will be ignored or not because otherwise in such a scenario we are entering Google bowling territory, with black hat possibilities in the exact description that you noted above.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:01 AM

Thanks a bunch for the help. In my past sites I always submitted to around 500 directories with about 3 different titles and descriptions to target different keywords. Anyhow - I won't be doing this anymore. Going to stick with relevant links for my next project :]

Old 08-15-2007, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the help. In my past sites I always submitted to around 500 directories with about 3 different titles and descriptions to target different keywords. Anyhow - I won't be doing this anymore. Going to stick with relevant links for my next project :]
Thats the best way to do link building

Old 01-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihai View Post
I hope you are right! is there any route for me to improve PR quickly?

Old 01-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I hope you are right! is there any route for me to improve PR quickly?
Sure. Just procure a bunch of high PR backlinks. Why specifically do you want to do that?

The advice about 1000 backlinks with all the same anchor text is good, as is the advice to vary your anchor text. The thing to remember also is that if you're submitting to general directories, some will be posted quickly and some can take eons to get posted (up to 6 months), and everything in between. So I don't worry about "too many links too soon" in that arena.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:56 PM

1000 Directory backlinks weigh down 10 quality backlinks?
It facilitates your site increase a quantity of Page Rank.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

1000 backlinks may give you more traffic than 10 quality backlinks.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:50 AM
SEO Fanatic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jijigren View Post
The best way to submit to directories is to change your anchor text for each submission to each directory, this should avoid google penalty
You can't get penalized for something you don't control. Links pointing to your site?? you don't!

Otherwise, I could just submit my main competitors to 2000 directories with the same anchor text and get it out of Google just like that.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

To the original post:

Quote:
The real world: Good luck in getting 10 high PR (PR5 or PR6) related one way links to your site. Also backlinks in good general directories are related to your theme if placed in the correct category, and you can outsource those 1000 backlinks for around $100.

Quote:
No question about it. Those 1000 directory backlinks will help you noticeably depending on the competitive arena. It might take a while for them all to be indexed though and make sure to vary the link text.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Contributing Member

Try to choose the related category to your site try also to get a high PR directories before submitting.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
The higher its own PR and the more relevant to your site, the more PR juice it will give you
Relevancy has nothing to do with PR.

Quote:
But 1000 backlinks from directories may help u if they have some +PR1.
NO. They WILL help you as long as the directory is indexed in the search engines and you use targeted anchor text. I've never seen a PR1 general directory category page anyway.

Quote:
It helps your site gain some PR if is it relevant site but if it is not, it's countless.
Wrong! Relevancy has nothing to do with PR.

Quote:
1000 different link texts? You would never rank for any of the keyword phrases in the anchor texts that way. VARY the link text. That's all.

Quote:
The 1000 backlinks, achieved to quickly, with the same anchor text, might get you penalized in Google.
It will take months to get the majority of those backlinks posted in the directories. The "too many too soon" problem (if any) will not apply in the general directory scenario.

Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps, but if you don't do the general directories you're really cutting yourself short.

Quote:
try also to get a high PR directories before submitting.
There seems to be a lot of real obsession with PR in this forum. Sure it's nice to attain a higher PR, but if you obsess about it and only search for high PR backlinks your going to wallow in your own frustration and never get anywhere with your rankings. It irritates me to no end to see new posters ask a valid question and get a plethora of duplicated and generally incorrect answers. After a week here I can see that the vast majority of the posts are only being made for the post count, and with very little actual knowledge of the SEO industry. If the post spammers spent the time they use making pointless and incorrect replies actually did something that WOULD increase their rankings, they would be much better off. The purpose of this forum is to help people, not to send them down the wrong path. There are a few here that actually read the posts and make an effort to guide others in the right direction to the best of their ability. My hat is off to them.

And to SEOptimizer: What you have been doing is the correct thing to do. Don't let all the BS posts in this thread deprive you of the value of what you have been doing.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

have a time? promote your site!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

Closed Thread