Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation Page Rank Tool in need!!!

Yes... It will affect us a bit. Normally we first have to know PR of a certain page has before we agree to exchange. Because the links we want is more on quality rather than quantity. There are lots of sites offer a PR tools. Here is one of the sites that offers tools : Page Rank Tool

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

A site that have PR is good to look but don't be obsessed with PR it is just like an additional decoration of your site. Although it affects a bit when it comes to exchanging link but I will not prioritize PR instead I'm focusing on SERP.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Yep... Nowadays, PR is just like a design in our toolbars. hehehe

Old 09-29-2007, 08:13 PM

I think I would have GBW (Green Bar Withdraw).

I think it will affect because the green bar is an indication of the traffic potential of a prospect site.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Contributing Member

We decided to Research for validation of the constant reports of PageRank not being a Prominent Tool in the overall Metric Measurement Nor a Key Element in SEO (Search Engine Optimization).

Several Virtual Businesses venturing in the online marketing industry ask questions regarding metrics measuring; Which metrics to measure and how accurate they are. I find, more and more that many business owners are sometimes Overlooking PageRank because of all the new rumors stating that its NOT Important & an inaccurate measuring tool. Of course This is going to be a 2 sided answer, both of which play an Important roll in understanding what PageRank is used for, measures, & its importance in any Overall Virtual Business in Development.

Google’s PageRank is pretty much a household name. The millions of users who use Google search know that when they are looking for a website. The PageRank tool itself is pretty easy to read, The more green you see in that tiny bar, the more relevant the page is. PageRank is not a good measuring tool when trying to determine how successful your online campaign is, However It does let you know how authoritative your site is in the eyes of the consumer / viewer (ONLY in Google).

websites with higher page rank tend to rank better in Google. Page Rank being a combined Google measuring factor of several elements - such as back-links, Pages Indexed, content Vs. keyword Density, image attributes, link attributes, etc. PageRank is a tool used in many SEM (Search Engine Marketing) Campaigns - Only Google Of course to give you an overall Idea of how Prominent your site is compared to the competition. While of course it wont provide you with printable Measurements that can be cross referenced to aid in Retention/Conversions.

Retention / Conversion Measurements is a whole different topic all together.

PageRank is a numeric value that represents how important a page is on the web. Google figures that when one page links to another page, it is effectively casting a vote for the other page. The more votes that are cast for a page, the more important the page must be. Also, the importance of the page that is casting the vote determines how important the vote itself is. Google calculates a page's importance from the votes cast for it. How important each vote is, is taken into account when a page's PageRank is calculated. PageRank is Google's way of deciding a page's importance. It matters because it is one of the Many factors that determines a page's ranking in the search results (well, the inbound link vote part of it anyway). It isn't the only factor that Google uses to rank pages, but it is one to look at.

Do i think PageRank should be a Primary measuring tool? Heck no, Obviously its not accurate, Heck it can take up to 3 months or more for PR to update.

With all that said, It won't effect me much for the simple fact that I understand its inaccuracies & limitations. While I don't use PageRank as a measurement tool, I do tend to glance over at it from time to time out of curiosity to see what Google thinks about a site I landed on.

I think the biggest issue out there when it comes to PageRank is the fact that some don't understand that its ONLY for Google - Period -

I suppose if I developed a measuring tool to rank the members that use my services & my company Boomed..... There would be some Marketing Firm out there that found a way to make some spare change off it too.

In short, its Popular because its a Branded way to see what a particular datacenter thinks about a particular user of the datacenter in question (ONLY), not because its accurate.

Funny, That even with its inaccuracies.... the inbound links it measures & their authority still play a roll in overall Serp's listings.

Ok, i'll stop now with the book writing & allow others to Pick me apart for my opinionated article writing skills......

Old 09-30-2007, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

In my opinion Google is going to make a lot of changes regarding PR, the recent de-valuing of high ranking directories is the first signal of this.

In the future I believe any website that sells links for PR, will suffer in the organic listings, possibly a year ban.

As for the PR toolbar, I think it would be a good thing to scrap it as it has been totally devalued by a number of people employing certain tactics. By removing the toolbar it would give lower ranked sites a boost by putting them on a level playing field with sites that have a higher PR. At present a visitor would more likely think a site with a high PR has more value than one with none, this is often not the case as many sites have artificially ranked. The same is the case with the Alexa rating system, I often see sites that are only a few months old with no PR and have a rating under 100,000. This is gained by simply purchasing IP pinging software.

Eventually the internet will have a level playing field where online businesses are audited and checked for the services they provide. This will result in millions of teenagers taking up regular employment and the internet being a lot cleaner.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:24 AM

>In the future I believe any website who sells links for PR, will suffer in the
>organic listings.

I understand if the site belongs to a link brokerage site, where google can set up a dummie account to see who is selling links, but if lets say, some dude shoots you an email and says, hey, mind giving me a link? here's $50 bucks for the favor. Thanks!

What then? How can GG know thats a paid link? (unless you pay with google checkout and it says receipt for link purchase or something to that effect, and even then I doubt it).

>At present a visitor would more likely think a site with a high PR has more
>value than one with none

You, me and everyone in here knows what the green bar is, but ask anyone else, even webdesigners (note, i did not say web marketers), and they will have no clue what the green bar is and that it even existed.

>Eventually the internet will have a level playing field where online businesses
>are audited and checked for the services they provide. This will result in a
>millions of teenagers taking up regular employment and the internet being a
>lot cleaner.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... thats a stretch... engines auditing companies??? doubt it.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

I think cleaning the internet up will hapen sooner rather than later. websites that sell services/products that don't display terms will be the first hit.

In regards to links, you are right by paying offline there is no way of knowing, however I think google are doing the right thing by taking steps.

People knock google, but the same people would make little money without their platform. People will always try and take shortcuts, its human nature, however when caught a years ban would make people sit up and take notice.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum