Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 11-03-2007, 05:32 AM

Getting Local Traffic from SEs via Link Building

I am wondering what tips SEO professionals have for local SEO. I have about 20 clients that all do business within a specific geographic area. We help them with a variety of things including email newsletters, event registration, blogging and offline networking. I'd like to figure out how to use link building to drive more local traffic to their websites from search engines.

I've started doing some testing with my blog by writing about them and using relevant link text (eg "kitchen remodeling in Worcester, MA") and deep linking that to the relevant page on my client's website. It's beginning to take effect. However, I need to find ways to do this beyond my weblog.

Are there local directories that focus on local offline businesses that we should get them listed on? Should my link building focus on getting links from local websites? Do the search engines know/care that a website about FL links to a local business's website in Boston with "boston restaurants" as the anchor text?

I am sure there are articles and other forum posts that have discussed this. I'd appreciate the pointers to these.

I also have some thoughts and plan to launch a local directory. Would appreciate feedback from some experts.

thanks.
-Pete

Last edited by pc4media; 11-03-2007 at 05:53 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Banned

I think your doing fine by targeting the anchor text of the local place like
"Worcester kitchen remodeling" and I think you may also build links
internationally because maybe the customer is somewhere outside the
country but the he wants a local company that will do the job for him. So just
continue targeting the name of the place where the business is served.

Cheers..

Old 11-03-2007, 08:00 AM

for tips on link building, try some of link baiting. this is very effective. this might drive more traffic to your site.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc4media View Post
I am wondering what tips SEO professionals have for local SEO. I have about 20 clients that all do business within a specific geographic area. We help them with a variety of things including email newsletters, event registration, blogging and offline networking. I'd like to figure out how to use link building to drive more local traffic to their websites from search engines.

I've started doing some testing with my blog by writing about them and using relevant link text (eg "kitchen remodeling in Worcester, MA") and deep linking that to the relevant page on my client's website. It's beginning to take effect. However, I need to find ways to do this beyond my weblog.

Are there local directories that focus on local offline businesses that we should get them listed on? Should my link building focus on getting links from local websites? Do the search engines know/care that a website about FL links to a local business's website in Boston with "boston restaurants" as the anchor text?

I am sure there are articles and other forum posts that have discussed this. I'd appreciate the pointers to these.

I also have some thoughts and plan to launch a local directory. Would appreciate feedback from some experts.

thanks.
-Pete
There are lots of ways to link build. You can submit your target keywords to several classified ads and web directories.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:22 AM

Optimize their site for local terms.

If it is a local music shop then have words like:

Music Shop County
Music Shop State
Music Shop City
etc.

Build links to their pages that are optimized around those terms.

Also getting listed in local company directories is important.

Adwords, YSM, and MSN Adcenter are also great ways to buy local traffic.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Thanks for confirming I am on the right track with the anchor text, skysoldier.

I am familiar with linkbaiting, as in the "How to" and "Top 100" lists that people compile so as to get more links. I've never seen this done locally, though. How about "Top 100 Things to Do After Eating at Restaurant X in Boston, MA". I guess that would work for a restaurant. How does a contractor, It outsourcing firm, real estate lawyer do a locally relevant link bait article?

mccaron. What classified sites would you submit to? Some of my clients have tried craigslist and their usual response is that they get the tire-kicking price shoppers? And are there directories that focus on local? Here's the ones I am aware of: merchantcircle, cityvoter, google local. Are there others? I see the hundreds of directories listed in the director section of the forums. Is it worth submitting "Worcester Roofing Contractor" and the url to these sites?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinXhunter.com View Post
Optimize their site for local terms.

If it is a local music shop then have words like:

Music Shop County
Music Shop State
Music Shop City
etc.

Build links to their pages that are optimized around those terms.

Also getting listed in local company directories is important.

Adwords, YSM, and MSN Adcenter are also great ways to buy local traffic.
Is there a list of "local company directories" out there?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum