Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 02-06-2008, 12:34 PM

Search Engine Optimization Checklist:How to Get Top Rankings in Google Search Results

Do you want to discover top search engine optimization strategies so you can get top rankings in Google, Yahoo and MSN search results for free?

Of course you do!

According to Marketing Sherpa, almost 134 million people in the U.S. regularly use search engines when looking for information online. And of that number, 63% look ONLY at the first page of results -- at most!

In fact, almost 25% of all American searchers look only at the first few listings and completely ignore the rest.

So How Do You Get Your Website in the Top Listings?

Search engine optimization (SEO) is the umbrella term for all the different strategies you can use to try to earn top rankings in the listings of the free search engines like Google and Yahoo. These are called "organic" or "natural" listings.

To make SEO work for you, it's important to pay close attention to how search engine spiders index or list web sites, and then use that information to direct the way you want the search engines to index YOUR web site.

When you're just getting started with SEO, it can seem a little overwhelming to know where to begin.

Top Key Search Engine Optimization Strategies You Should Begin With

- Find the hottest keywords for your market/website: Choose effective keywords. This MUST be the starting point for any and all SEO efforts. You're better off to go with "long-tail" keyword phrases that answer a specific question instead of general terms, e.g., "wash big longhaired dog" rather than
"dog shampoo."

- Plug keywords into the right locations in your copy and code: Give the search engines the information they need in all the right places. Your website is full of "hotspots" the spiders check regularly for keywords. In your code you'll want to put your main keywords for each page in the:

* Title tag
* Heading and subhead tags (H1, H2, etc.)
* Meta description
* Image tags
* Alt text

And if at all possible, have a keyword-rich URL too!

- Always ensure that your content relates to the keywords you're using: If you sprinkle keywords like "guaranteed weight loss" throughout your website, but your site sells shoes, you definitely won't be helping yourself.

Even if your keywords are all over the site, the search engines won't rank you for those words because the rest of the content on the site has nothing to do with the subject. If you offer a number of products, try creating different keyword-rich pages for specific items you have for sale.

- Keep the "spiders" coming back with frequent new or updated content: The more fresh and relevant content search engine spiders find, the higher the spiders are likely to rank your site. How do you keep them interested?

Keep all the copy on your pages current, including any changes or updates to your business or products. Make sure to archive any newsletters or bulletins you send out on your site.

For even more "spider food", try starting a blog or forum on your website to keep traffic heading back for daily updates and discussion.

- Collect links from other sites that are considered reputable and relevant: Search engines love natural, relevant inbound links. If you really want to improve your results, you'll want to avoid "link farms" and bought links. Focus your strategy on politely requesting one-way links from sites with high natural ranking in the search engines.

Distributing free articles and press releases is also a great way of gaining quality inbound links to your site. Services like PR Leads Article Marketing Experts will help you build link popularity and simultaneously get you more targeted traffic, leads and sales.

And don't forget the power of social networking! By taking part in online communities or uploading your videos to sites like YouTube, you can not only drive new traffic to your website, you can get new sites linking to yours.

- Use a sitemap to boost your ranking in Google, Yahoo, AND Windows Live Search: Sitemaps help the spiders find their way through all your pages.

And with the new sitemaps formatting protocol, these three search titans are giving website owners more clues than ever before on how to help the spiders index their sites.

SEO should be at the core of your overall Internet marketing strategy. It's one of the most inexpensive and effective approaches available to you. In fact, much of what you can do to optimize your web site for the organic search engines is totally FREE. And, there are many more search engine optimization strategies you can learn and apply to get top search engine rankings in Google, Yahoo and MSN!

Derek Gehl educates over 1.8 million Internet business owners per month on how to create incomes of $100,000 to $2.5 MILLION or more per year online using free or little-cost search engine optimization strategies.. Now you can discover the proven strategies Derek uses to Quickly, Easily And Automatically make $10.42 for every $1 he invests in online marketing! Get it now at: http://www.marketingtips.com/tipsltr.html

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

well that could be a great information you have there.,

Old 02-06-2008, 05:38 PM
v7n Mentor

Or throw up a blank page, don't worry about content, links or anything else for that matter.......lol

As some of you may have read, I threw up a temp couple of pages into a domain a week ago (just to show the client the direction I would be headed, until they paid me - I always get the money up front.), didn't waste a lot of time on seo (but did throw in some decent but not good metas) It is a closet manufacturer serving a region until they can expand...

I didn't register it, no incoming links, no PR, in fact not even content on one page......

So what do the engine gods do - crap they found it - Google was first placing it in the top 10 for most of the keyword phrases (most in the number 1 position) LOL - notice what's on 111.htm - http://www.finedesigncloset.com/111.htm

Yesterday MSN comes along and places it http://search.live.com/results.aspx?...c=IE-SearchBox

Here is the results:

Current Position Previous Position Change
closet manufacturer Florida (2 items, Best Position: 1)
://www.finedesigncloset.com/111.htm 1 NA NA
://www.finedesigncloset.com/ 2 NA NA
closet manufacturer Jacksonville (2 items, Best Position: 1)
hp://www.finedesigncloset.com/111.htm 1 NA NA
hp://www.finedesigncloset.com/ 2 NA NA
closet manufacturer central Florida (2 items, Best Position: 1)
Closet Manufacturer (2 items, Best Position: 3)
hp://www.finedesigncloset.com/ 3 NA NA
hp://www.finedesigncloset.com/111.htm 4 NA NA
custom closets central Florida (2 items, Best Position: 1)
hp://www.finedesigncloset.com/ 1 NA NA
hp://www.finedesigncloset.com/111.htm 2 NA NA
custom closets northeast Florida (2 items, Best Position: 1)
custom closets Jacksonville (1 item, Best Position: 1)
http://www.finedesigncloset.com/ 1 NA NA
custom closets port orange (2 items, Best Position: 1)
custom closets Daytona beach (1 item, Best Position: 1)
custom closets Volusia county (2 items, Best Position: 1)

murphy beds Volusia county (1 item, Best Position: 1)
murphy beds central Florida (1 item, Best Position: 1)
murphy beds Jacksonville (1 item, Best Position: 4)
hp://www.finedesigncloset.com/ 4 NA NA
Garage Organizers Jacksonville (1 item, Best Position: 3)
hp://www.finedesigncloset.com/ 3 NA NA
Garage Organizers central Florida (1 item, Best Position: 1)
Utility Closets central Florida (2 items, Best Position: 1)
Home Office Cabinets central Florida (1 item, Best Position: 1)
Closets designers central Florida (2 items, Best Position: 1)
Closets designers Jacksonville (2 items, Best Position: 2)
ht://www.finedesigncloset.com/ 3 NA NA
Closet Storage Systems Central Florida (2 items, Best Position: 4)
h://www.finedesigncloset.com/ 4 NA NA
h://www.finedesigncloset.com/111.htm 5 NA NA
custom pantries florida (1 item, Best Position: 1)
h://www.finedesigncloset.com/ 1 NA NA
custom pantries jacksonville (2 items, Best Position: 1)
custom pantries volusia county (1 item, Best Position: 1)
ht://www.finedesigncloset.com/ 1 NA NA
Custom cabinets central florida (1 item, Best Position: 1)
custom pantries central florida (1 item, Best Position: 1)
custom storage central florida (1 item, Best Position: 2)
ht://www.finedesigncloset.com/ 2 NA NA
Wall Beds central florida (1 item, Best Position: 1)
Home Office Cabinets florida (1 item, Best Position: 1)
Wall Beds jacksonville (1 item, Best Position: 1)
Closets jacksonville (2 items, Best Position: 13)
hp://www.finedesigncloset.com/ 13 NA NA
ht://www.finedesigncloset.com/111.htm 14 NA NA
Closets central florida (2 items, Best Position: 1)
ht://www.finedesigncloset.com/111.htm 1 NA NA
Closets florida (2 items, Best Position: 10)
ht://www.finedesigncloset.com/111.htm 10 NA NA
ht://www.finedesigncloset.com/ 14 NA NA

(took the links out - dont click )

So naturally Yahoo rushes in and bumps it even higher in their standings.....

Last edited by pinkfluffybunny; 02-06-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:05 PM
v7n Mentor

Just a side note: ran a position report again to day - still climbing.......

Wanta know the trick - I ain't telling :-) - I can tell you for sure it has nothing to do with PR or Links

When I get the money they will dominate in 1000+ keyword phrases

Last edited by pinkfluffybunny; 02-07-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:50 AM
v7n Mentor

V7N is number 4 for custom closets central florida

V7N is beating you for custom closets Jacksonville by the way

and snapping at your heels for
closet manufacturers central florida
and
custom pantries central florida

In any case, no doubt the above varies by datacenter, but still.... if it isn't a competitive area, just mention the phrases you want to rank for, no trick there....

You may want a mod to block this thread though... there was some guy in here peddling junk software, I won't mention it's name but if you thought it began with SEO and ended with a mafia word that sounds like podfather, you'd be on the money.

I decided to get V7N ranking for that phrase and I/we got to number two for the software name with a thread ragging it to bits. They obviously moaned and when I logged in here one day a mod had removed the thread (I was a bit disappointed by that, I was having fun, but I totally understand why it was done).

So yeah, you may not want those closet guys checking this out. Well, you may not care either way, I'd be a bit cautious though.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:04 AM
Banned

very well! I've read that when I decided to study SEO . . . all infos and true and need to be done in SEO.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Banned

Nice posts...
These information are good guidelines for a successful SEO campaign...
Keep it up!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:39 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfluffybunny View Post
Wanta know the trick - I ain't telling :-) - I can tell you for sure it has nothing to do with PR or Links
Is it Long Tail keywords?

Old 02-11-2008, 12:44 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankenstein View Post
V7N is number 4 for custom closets central florida

V7N is beating you for custom closets Jacksonville by the way

and snapping at your heels for
closet manufacturers central florida
and
custom pantries central florida

In any case, no doubt the above varies by datacenter, but still.... if it isn't a competitive area, just mention the phrases you want to rank for, no trick there....

You may want a mod to block this thread though... there was some guy in here peddling junk software, I won't mention it's name but if you thought it began with SEO and ended with a mafia word that sounds like podfather, you'd be on the money.

I decided to get V7N ranking for that phrase and I/we got to number two for the software name with a thread ragging it to bits. They obviously moaned and when I logged in here one day a mod had removed the thread (I was a bit disappointed by that, I was having fun, but I totally understand why it was done).

So yeah, you may not want those closet guys checking this out. Well, you may not care either way, I'd be a bit cautious though.

Hi Rank - did it on purpose - http://www.v7n.com/forums/google-for...-hurt-you.html

just to show these guys how links can hurt

they haven't paid me yet.....lol
I'll knock those v7 links out when they do.

Hey isn't that the trick to this whole thing - getting 200 or more keyword phrases, targeting your group and beating the competion for each - grab a little bit from everywhere. Besides that's what they sell - now "closet manufacturer" is going to take a little more than a couple pages with one of them saying we're re-designing....lol - it only got 3 & 4 in MSN - http://search.live.com/results.aspx?...c=IE-SearchBox

If I don't get number 1 for at least 200 relevant keyword phrases - I got lazy.

Last edited by pinkfluffybunny; 02-11-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the great informations guys...Keep it coming...

@pinkbluffybunny (that's a long tail keywords.....) Cool!

Last edited by coolguy27; 02-11-2008 at 01:48 PM.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:10 PM
v7n Mentor

The object of the game is to sell your client's products not to show how great an seo person you are by grabbing generic one word keywords, that will have a low conversion rate.

Goals and objectives

Old 02-12-2008, 02:49 AM
v7n Mentor

Oh, OK, I missed that thread - a nice cautionary tale.

A ridiculously high percentage of all search is long tail and you have to target it. Well, I'm not even sure target is the right word. Allow the searchers to find you for a wide selection of phrases is more how I'd see it. Maybe that's semantics. But yeah, definitely cater for the long tail.

Oh, I nearly forgot:
closet manufacturers florida

I hate it when people don't pay.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:33 AM
v7n Mentor

Hi Rank, if someone is looking for a "big yellow loopsided widget" a site should let them know it has it, Amazing but if you let the engines and searchers know about each widget you have the engines will give you the keyword "widgets" just because you have a quality site, even tho "widgets has a low conversion. Give people what they are looking for. No trick to it.

If the site gets 100 people a day looking with the word "widgets" it may sell or they may be just looking for info on how to make a widget, or what role widgets play in the enviroment....whatever. Someone who types in "big yellow loopsided widget" is looking for it and you have a better chance of selling it.

It's more work, if someone takes the time to write content it pays off.

Thank god most people are lazy, and opt for the quick tricks (linkbacks, etc.) it makes my job so much easier.

So the closet business is targeting, builders, designers, and retail upper income customers etc in central florida and northeast florida, (they don't want to expand yet and I didn't shoot for it but the engines gave "closet manufacturers florida" to me). I have to build information for every city they want to target - 50 or 60 big ones....

Then they may want to expand to include installation and fanchise...I have to prepare for that.

I determined every market they can possibly have and will be targeting aircraft hangers to baby rooms. So I may have several hundred key word phrases targeting those looking for a particular application an a couple of hundred pages. I know the competition is lazy and I can have all I want.

They want to expand, I'll help, but as the geographical area (competition) increases my price increases.

But I have to tell you I've gone in to see clients and told them they didn't need a website, hire a web monkey to throw up a business card..

Last edited by pinkfluffybunny; 02-12-2008 at 07:59 AM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum