Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Like was told to me, and I'm taking this good advice, view the details off your server. I am now working on finding out how my bounce rate is. Using Google analytic is not correct for me anyway.

It's all about trial and error right...I guess that is what makes this so fun.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
Organic listings, particularly on Google, are in fact much less well targeted than are PPC ones.

Furthermore, those who click on PPC links are the more predisposed to action, whereas those clicking on organic ones are more likely to be casual browsers.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 AM

Is there a proven method to reduce bounce rate? Mine is about 60% but average time on site seems pretty good (3 minutes).

Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
THis is true but those paying top for top spots also get way more spam.
Spam?

What sort of spam? How is it received?

Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttg2012 View Post
Is there a proven method to reduce bounce rate? Mine is about 60% but average time on site seems pretty good (3 minutes).
As a reading of this thread will show, there is:
  • No single cause of bounces;
  • No single or even best way to reduce bounces; and,
  • No bounce rate that is optimal for all.

Each and every landing page is a unique case.

In your case, the reported bounce rate may simply be the result of visitors spending more than 30 seconds on your landing page(s).

Old 02-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Spam?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+form+spamming

Old 02-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Latest Blog:
None

That is something that effects everyone, not just those listed in top PPC slots.

And, as PPC listings are generally those of commercial sites, who make use of such forms to a much lesser extent than do others, and whose forms to not provide the opportunity for exploitation that brings an extrinsic benefit that those of others do, they are very much less afflicted by such form stuffing.

Last edited by deepsand; 02-20-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yes, but they usually go for the top results.. also depending on the product it may be better not be on top.. For ex. if you are selling something like a steel building and you need to get a quote, your gonna shop in more then one place for that quote, if you are a serious buyer... Otherwise you just wanted an average.. I mean how many people do you know would buy something for over 10k without knowing much about it or without getting other estimates to compare?

Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Yes, but they usually go for the top results.
No, they don't. Form spammers grab anything and everything that they can.

Quote:
also depending on the product it may be better not be on top.. For ex. if you are selling something like a steel building and you need to get a quote, your gonna shop in more then one place for that quote, if you are a serious buyer... Otherwise you just wanted an average.. I mean how many people do you know would buy something for over 10k without knowing much about it or without getting other estimates to compare?
What has this to do with form spamming?

In fact, what has form spamming to do with the subject of this thread?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
No, they don't. Form spammers grab anything and everything that they can.

What has this to do with form spamming?

In fact, what has form spamming to do with the subject of this thread?

This has nothing to do with bounce rate but you asked me

Quote: Originally Posted by deepsand

Spam?

So I answered you...

However this is what you said, when you made this statement:
Furthermore, those who click on PPC links are the more predisposed to action, whereas those clicking on organic ones are more likely to be casual browsers.

and I disagreed, this is not factual in all cases, not at all.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Not always some form spammers are your competition flooding you with garbage for having the top spot.
As noted, the nature of sites with PPC listing does not easily lend them to being amenable to form spamming.

Furthermore, such click fraud is detected with relative ease.

Quote:
This has nothing to do with bounce rate but you asked me
You are the one who interjected the issue of PPC vs organic listings and form spam into a thread re. bounce rate.

Quote:
However this is what you said, when you made this statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsand
and I disagreed, this is not factual in all cases, not at all.
It remains a fact well known to experienced marketers.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:

"Those who click on PPC links are the more predisposed to action, whereas those clicking on organic ones are more likely to be casual browsers"

im gonna ask if this is a fact on SEOmoz.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Here is the thread.. So far I am correct, your statement "Those who click on PPC links are the more predisposed to action, whereas those clicking on organic ones are more likely to be casual browsers" is not factual according to the folks at SEOmoz.

http://www.seomoz.org/q/is-this-a-fact

Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Hm-mm; no.

Your position is not supported by a mere two comments, one of which is noncommittal, and the other of which says that PPC converts at the higher rate, which supports my position.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Hm-mm; no.

Your position is not supported by a mere two comments, one of which is noncommittal, and the other of which says that PPC converts at the higher rate, which supports my position.

Quote:

Old 02-22-2012, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

There's no right or wrong answer - it depends entirely on the type of website, what you are selling, how much competition there is, the current economic climate, what market you're in, is it an information page and lots more. All you can do is try to reduce it but it's difficult to compare unless you talk to your competitor websites

Old 02-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinstead View Post
There's no right or wrong answer - it depends entirely on the type of website, what you are selling, how much competition there is, the current economic climate, what market you're in, is it an information page and lots more. All you can do is try to reduce it but it's difficult to compare unless you talk to your competitor websites
Yes that is my point exactly.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Not in all cases I have a campaign that is currently supporting what I mentioned.
We are speaking of the general case, not of a particular one. That a chicken lays a cracked egg does not counter the fact that most eggs are laid with their shells intact.

Quote:
These are two experienced marketers from a reliable source, ...
That not only assumes facts not in evidence, but is the fallacy of argumentum ad verecundiam, aka argument from/appeal to authority.

Furthermore, a mere two responses is hardly a statistically significant sample.

Quote:
and none of them said its a fact, ...
To the contrary, the more highly ranked of the two explicitly said:

Quote:
those who come through PPC tend to be more "results oriented" in their query and therefore do convert a bit better.

Last edited by deepsand; 02-22-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinstead View Post
To the contrary, there is a correct answer for the general case.

The steps that one undertakes in the process of making and executing a decision to buy are long and well documented. An understanding of such behavior well predates the advent of the internet; and, the 'net has not changed those steps, but simply added an additional channel through which those step may be taken.

PPC ads are targeted at those who have made the decision to buy, and are now seeking to act on such. For them such ads are very much more relevant than are the organic SERPs, as they signal that the merchant offers what they want to buy.

While one can make the claim that advertising is less effective than the alternatives, businessmen throughout the world have long known otherwise.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
We are speaking of the general case, not of a particular one. That a chicken lays a cracked egg does not counter the fact that most eggs are laid with their shells intact.
Yes but to say that its a fact that a chicken never lays a cracked egg is false.

Quote:
Furthermore, a mere two responses is hardly a statistically significant sample.
Those two responses are from very authoritative views to say that an authoritative SEOmoz ranked user is not a good source is insane, and their answers are plain old common sense.

Quote:
To the contrary, the more highly ranked of the two explicitly said:
those who come through PPC tend to be more "results oriented" in their query and therefore do convert a bit better.
Now lets share the rest of what he said lol...

"I think it is a given that more people click on organic vs. PPC by about 85 to 15. (Yes, different verticals will have different results, I am speaking globally here). And, I believe it is a given - and I have seen it with PPC and organic - that those who come through PPC tend to be more "results oriented" in their query and therefore do convert a bit better.
I believe the math on the two based on recollection from The Art of SEO:... by Enge, Fishkin, Spencer, and Stricchiola that organic still pays off between 5 and 6 to one. So, while PPC converts better, the fact that organic gets so much more traffic at a lower cost (generally) makes it be the obvious choice whether or not you do PPC. "

NOT A FACT.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

Closed Thread