Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-12-2008, 05:17 PM

in house seo question

Question,

I have been in SEO for 6 years now and I am looking to do SEO in house. My issue is that I won't have my bachelors degree until the end of this year but I still want to jump into inhouse SEO. My question is, in your humble opinion, would you or any other company hire someone with 6 years experience with a proven track record but no degree?

Side note I do own an SEO consulting firm that can be found on the web and has lists of my clients. The rest of my background is in investment sales

PS....This is not me look for a job posting, I just to know if someone would hire me before I graduate. Thanks!!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

I don't see a lot of people from Michigan

Old 03-12-2008, 05:52 PM

There is only a hand full of us in Michigan who really know SEO imho. Everybody else is working on cars! : )

Old 03-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I would take experience way before i'd look at degrees. Can you show results you have achieved? yes, great. Can you explain those techniques to your future employer, yes, great.

You cannot get a degree in SEO. The market changes too fast, it'd be useless by the time you'd finished.

Are you able to work full time while completing this degree? You'll struggle to get an in house job if you can't. In house means in their office etc.

If you could do a full weeks work every week, the fact you were doing a degree wouldn't bother me.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoindetroit View Post
Question,

I have been in SEO for 6 years now and I am looking to do SEO in house. My issue is that I won't have my bachelors degree until the end of this year but I still want to jump into inhouse SEO. My question is, in your humble opinion, would you or any other company hire someone with 6 years experience with a proven track record but no degree?

Side note I do own an SEO consulting firm that can be found on the web and has lists of my clients. The rest of my background is in investment sales

PS....This is not me look for a job posting, I just to know if someone would hire me before I graduate. Thanks!!
Dude some of the most successful people never go to college...

It depends on who you are and what your capable of doing.

Now if your going to work as a doctor yes you will need a college degree, but I have a bunch of friends that are CEO's of companies when I mean companies I'm talking ~100 of employees that never even went to college my dads best friend never went to school and hes a mutli millionaire runs a inc500 company.

I'm not saying college is a bad thing, but on hands experience, motivation, and someone passionate about what there doing is going to go a lot further then someone with a college education, but there again it depends on who you are.

When I say it depends on who you are I'm referring to your personality are you a people person, are you connected well, are you innovative, I mean who are you?

Old 03-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I guess you look for the company's qualifications if it is a must for a diploma, other companies would allow you to work for them with at least 2 years work related experience. If you still have time, then continue studying to earn a degree.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:12 AM

Thanks for all the info... I would still like to hear from others : )

Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I would take experience over a degree, any day of the week. Or to put it another way, I never got a degree and it hasn't affected my SEO career in the slightest, including doing in-house SEO. As far as I can tell, anyway

Old 03-13-2008, 10:45 AM

What's in the degree anyway? If you have the skills and proven track of being an SEO, I think it's more than just the degree. What important is your worth being an SEO and how you do your job...

Old 03-13-2008, 10:46 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Results and references are what you need. I can't tell you how many company's webmonkies I've trained. Usually right out of college.

References count! It helps when you can tell them here is personal number of the CEO of ____ company - call him.

Have stats ready and produce them.

When I have been to hiring sessions for example Dot Net guys - yes I look at what certificates they have, but I really want to see what they have done.

SEO college....lol - 99.5% are scammers - show me - don't tell me.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

I've known someone that haven't got into college but expert when it comes to web designing, php and even in SEO.. I tell you guys, the company that his working with right now gave him high salary compare to those who've been in college and has a degree.. 6 years experience is long enough to prove that you are worth to be hired as an SEO even without a degree..

The people I love never asked to be loved. We just kind of fell into it. Together.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

Most company are looking more on experience rather than having a degree but still having a degree is a big asset to assist your skill to be employed.,

Cabal Online is where I live

Old 03-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfluffybunny View Post
Results and references are what you need. I can't tell you how many company's webmonkies I've trained. Usually right out of college.

References count! It helps when you can tell them here is personal number of the CEO of ____ company - call him.

Have stats ready and produce them.

When I have been to hiring sessions for example Dot Net guys - yes I look at what certificates they have, but I really want to see what they have done.

SEO college....lol - 99.5% are scammers - show me - don't tell me.
wow!!! i think you're an expert sir...

and agree with that, the work is the best key to judge the person...

Old 03-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

All you need is portfolio. You are hired if you show people results of your clients, backlinks you created, connections you have, knowledge, current positions on Google etc...

Old 03-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

"Experience is the best teacher" - This is an old saying that I always believed in...
I've known some people who holds a degree in computer related courses but all they know is basic and theories...
Experience and Skills are much important factors to consider than any certificates...

Old 03-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

experience is key!!

Old 03-13-2008, 02:25 PM

Im glad you all agree that experience is key but the issue is will anyone not in the SEO industry consider me.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:13 PM

here's an update ive been contacted twice from a foutune 500 company. They wanted to pay 45k-50k what a joke.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:29 AM
SEO Guru

Interesting discussion this is, Can I blog it?

Old 03-15-2008, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

I like to say skill is more important than degree.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum