Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 05-21-2004, 08:15 PM

SEO Scam

SEO Scam - Another scam from iGetNet in California
This is one of the biggest Internet scams in Search Engine Optimization (SEO) today. Millions of dollars are being scammed by high pressure telesales groups from iGetNet. iGetNet calls this "Search Engine Positioning" (SEP). Here's how it works. A iGetNet representative or one of its affiliated groups calls a small business offering them the "opportunity" to be listed in the top rankings in Yahoo and other search engines. This representative then suggests that they help the customer "choose an effective search keword or keywords". Here's the catch. They suggest a worthless word that will never get clicked!! They then go to Overture and purchase this word on a "Pay-per-click" (PPC) basis. Overture purchases the top 3 spots in Yahoo and other engines and thus if you type in the keyword that iGetNet just sold you, such as "blue dog food", or something equally worthless, the customer's keyword shows up as a top listing. But who would ever type this keyword in a search engine, none-the-less click it?
iGetNet then charges the customer monthly for this word, but nothing ever happens. Eventually the customer's catch on. However, before this happens, iGetNet representatives are quick to follow up a few days after the call and show the customer that they're "First in Yahoo" and try an up sell. ..... More money lost. Kiss your money good bye! Call Craig Holland, iGetNet CEO at 866.738.0898.
You should notify your Attorney General this fraud in your state immediately.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2004, 07:45 AM

The cmopanies I run across don't even achieve that. They usually just "auto-submit" sites, or else simply do on-page elements and no link building.

Old 05-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Re: SEO Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_knowles
This representative then suggests that they help the customer "choose an effective search keword or keywords". Here's the catch. They suggest a worthless word that will never get clicked!!
True indeed!

Well firstly IMO, I just cant understand why some people allow them selves to be scammed in the first place - you would have to be a real idiot to pay someone top doller to chose your keywords for your business in the first place. If anybody owns a web site they would have to know something about thier targeted market (audience) even if you know nothing about seo, and ranking well - whats the point of trying to sell anything via a web site or try to get top rankings if you dont know what you should be top for?? and then getting someone else to decide for you, this is crazy IMO.

any clever person / web site owner should be always one step ahead & know how to conduct there business in a productive & fruitful manner.

Common sence will save many an online business alot of cash. So my advice to anybody who is consdiering any seo work "don't choose to put your web site business in the hands of other people unless you know what excatly your web site goals are.".

Gold

Old 06-03-2004, 03:48 PM

There are a lot of newbies who want to start an online business. They don't know much and they'll pay for those without doing research.

Old 06-05-2004, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Brian
The cmopanies I run across don't even achieve that. They usually just "auto-submit" sites, or else simply do on-page elements and no link building.
for many non-competive pages this can actually be enough to make a huge difference..

Old 06-05-2004, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgust
for many non-competive pages this can actually be enough to make a huge difference..
I disagree with that statement to a decent extent. phrases actually worth having do take some amount of effort and link building.

I don't know if you have ever ran a directory, but less than 1% of autosubmitted spam entries ever get listed in any directory I have done.

Old 06-05-2004, 04:45 AM

sorry, by "this" I meant on-page optmization, not directory spamming

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum