Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

Advantage and Disadvantage of Relative Link and Absolute Link

Absolute link and relative link have an advantage and also a disadvantage for your website if you really don't know how to use it properly. Ok here is the thing if you want your website to loads faster than the normal loading, then I suggest to use a relative link. But its not a good idea to use relative link all the time even though using relative links will not affect search engine visibility, I make an exception with PDF files. Remember people are downloading a pdf files for their reference and if you use relative link the page will not loads properly, so pdf file link should be absolute links.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:23 AM
Contributing Member

i got your point there's an exemption with regards to pdf file.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

There's really no reason to use relative links and a lot of reasons to use absolute links. Some developers are worried about developing a site on a test server and switching it over, only to have the site break. You can use PHP or whatever dynamic server-side language you are using to do that automatically based on the domain of the site, and still use absolute links. There is no difference in load time - not sure where you got that from. Also, using absolute links will help if your site gets scraped - you get some free links to your site and the credit for the original content goes to you not them (as far as search engines are concerned.) the links aren't high-quality, but every bit helps and you didn't have to go looking for them. So, I always recommend absolute links.

Marketing-driven web design with a creative edge

Old 05-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Individualist
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebGeek182 View Post
There's really no reason to use relative links and a lot of reasons to use absolute links. Some developers are worried about developing a site on a test server and switching it over, only to have the site break. You can use PHP or whatever dynamic server-side language you are using to do that automatically based on the domain of the site, and still use absolute links. There is no difference in load time - not sure where you got that from. Also, using absolute links will help if your site gets scraped - you get some free links to your site and the credit for the original content goes to you not them (as far as search engines are concerned.) the links aren't high-quality, but every bit helps and you didn't have to go looking for them. So, I always recommend absolute links.

+1

Old 05-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Latest Blog:
None

thankss

Old 05-12-2008, 09:12 AM

I agree with WebGeek

Old 05-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

"Absolute Links" really have some major advantages than "Relative Links...

One Good Example:
If your contents got copied and you have a link on it and you've used relative link format (ex. href="/shoes/nike.html") in anchoring a particular keyword pointing to other pages of your site, it won't count as backlink to your site... Better use absolute link (ex. href="http://www.mycollection.com/shoes/nike.html") for it to be counted as backlink...

This is just one of the many advantages in using absolute links...

Old 05-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericajoieake View Post
Absolute link and relative link have an advantage and also a disadvantage for your website if you really don't know how to use it properly. Ok here is the thing if you want your website to loads faster than the normal loading, then I suggest to use a relative link. But its not a good idea to use relative link all the time even though using relative links will not affect search engine visibility, I make an exception with PDF files. Remember people are downloading a pdf files for their reference and if you use relative link the page will not loads properly, so pdf file link should be absolute links.

So... In short, we should use relative link and absolute link the way they will work better.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

But a combination of both relative link + absolute links will is the best, and if I will choose between the two it is of course the absolute link! Like what they say if small ants stick together they can kill even a big spider!

Old 05-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

It seem to be a preference of the coder how he/she like to code (i always use relative links making sure it works on test machine and server both). Question is does it matter as per SEO?

Old 05-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

A good site will not have a hard time producing both relative and absolute link! Mostly they will even offer both!

Old 05-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoldier View Post
A good site will not have a hard time producing both relative and absolute link! Mostly they will even offer both!
"There's really no reason to use relative links and a lot of reasons to use absolute links." -- This is part of a statement by WebGeek128 where Mr. John Scott agreed on +1 rep...

Why use both? If the most advantages can be achieve using pure Absolute Links...

Cheers My Friend...

Old 05-14-2008, 01:29 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
The Avengers

I think that absolute links and relative links are treated the same by SEs but there are lots of benefits of using absolute links than the other.
Some are:
-absolute links are more recognizable in visitors eyes
-less chances of having broken links when moving pages
-domain name is on every pages thus, it can be considered as part of promotion

Old 05-14-2008, 02:09 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I agree with Dark Eye... Why use both when you can only choose one, since they have their own advantages and dis-advantages...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum