Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 01-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

large scale website structure help.

I'm building a large scale website so i was wondering if anyone would give me some tips and good practices while coding and structuring my website pages.
Like what kind of pages i should catagorize into child folders and what kind of pages i should leave it in parent folder next to website's homepage (index.php)

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Artist & Motion Designer

Although a lot of that is up to personal preference you can save yourself a lot of hassle by seperating scripts, includes, images into their own folders and subsequently seperated still based on any other criteria one sees fit. ie: mainpage images into its own directory, subpage images into it's own directory -etc etc.

When it comes to updates or changes that need to happen along the way, it's easier to drill down a few directories and scroll a short list of items than one parent directory. Also if you want to limit users, you can allow access to only certain directories, where they can drop off their work without actually having full access to the entire site.

But all this is just my personal opinion. I try and keep things catagorized and in order

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby