Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Dedicated Servers

Dedicated Servers Dedicated server help.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 08-24-2012, 12:08 AM

I guess there comes a time when you just know right? Even before you've reached that point. That point where you know you're getting close. I know that i've been told by shared hosters that they will let you know it may be time. It is no big secret. They may try to premium you(put you with less buddies) which could also be a sign.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirelogo View Post
I guess there comes a time when you just know right? Even before you've reached that point. That point where you know you're getting close. I know that i've been told by shared hosters that they will let you know it may be time. It is no big secret. They may try to premium you(put you with less buddies) which could also be a sign.
It's really a financial decision, when you feel you would like to spend that $200-300/mo to ensure that nobody else, or at least, less people, can have affect on your server - or you simply need more power, control and a faster site.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:10 PM

When you need more speed and have greater traffic

Old 09-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodCom View Post
I'm like a total newbie when it comes to dedicated servers and I'm not very sure why I even should bother switching to dedicated servers.

Right now I got a shared hosting account at HostGator and I think they do a pretty good job with the hosting. I'm having the occasional problem but that's not really a big deal to me.

So I was wondering why and when I should switch to dedicated servers.
For shared hosting, the scenario usually goes like this:

A hosting company hosted 15,000 websites on 1,500 servers last year for their shared hosting customers. This year they expect to host another 5,000 websites and do not plan on adding any servers. This will cost the current servers to take a performance hit as they have to stretch their resources (i.e. processor, ram, hard disk space). For that reason, each web site will take more time to load, as your spreading resources across more web sites.

Compare that with the dedicated host:

A hosting company hosts 1,000 websites, each having its own dedicated server. Every time a new dedicated customer comes on board the dedicated hosting, a new server is allocated to him/her. And, if a dedicated host customer wants to have mutliple websites, they can do so, however it may take a performance hit on their own server (not everybody elses). They can then opt to buy more resources, or a more powerful server.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

I would say, it is when your web site reaches a level of importance when it is worth spending about 100 per month or $150 per month.

It doesn't have to be generating that much revenue for you but it does have to be worth at least that to you.

After all on a shared hosting environment you will be competing with others for resources, and if your site grows above a certain number of hits, and hogs to many resources you'll either be throttled back, asked to leave, or gently nudged towards an upgraded service of some sort!

How important is your site to you? Is it a basic informational site which doesn't matter if it is up or not? Or are you more dependent on it?

Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I'm like a total newbie when it comes to dedicated servers and I'm not very sure why I even should bother switching to dedicated servers.

Right now I got a shared hosting account at HostGator and I think they do a pretty good job with the hosting. I'm having the occasional problem but that's not really a big deal to me.

If sites are working smoothly on the shared server environment then no need to upgrade the shared hosting account to the Dedicated server as it too costly for the normal sites. If your hosting account usage like hits,traffic, cpu usage,memory usage etc is increasing and creating the problem to the other hosting accounts domain performance then you can upgrade the hosting account to the dedicated server. Basically dedicated server is used by the application based sites, E-mail marketing sites etc, so that developer can make the changes as per application requirement because on the shared server, you can't make the changes in the php values, E-mails per hour limit etc...

Old 11-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:

I must say that shared and dedicated are two different environments. Of course , most of the users choose a shared server as it is cheaper and you don't have to control the server as the support team does everything for you.

I agree that the price is really a benefit, but sometimes the price means nothing if the quality of the shared server on which your account is located leaves much to be desired. When one user overloads the server, this badly influences the other customers located on the same server. You may have a simple blog and there can be a number of users running live chats and heavy scripts on the same server and thus, your blog will become heavy and slow as well.

The only solution from this situation is either moving to a more stable shared server( when the server is new) or buying your own dedicated server . Having your own dedicated server, you will not have to share the server resources with the other users and you will pay just for what you are using.This is one of the main benefits of dedicated server hosting over shared hosting.

If you know at once that your site will need a lot of resources, it is better to buy a VPS dedicated server at the beginning as later you will have to ask the hosting provider to move your files from the shared account to the private server and this may badly influence the site performance and some data can be lost as a result of the transfer.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

I am trying to get a Database server(MySQL). I already have a web server(Linux, Apache, PHP).

What RAID should I get, 5 or 10? I can order up to 6 hard disks for Database server.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju51279 View Post
I am trying to get a Database server(MySQL). I already have a web server(Linux, Apache, PHP).

What RAID should I get, 5 or 10? I can order up to 6 hard disks for Database server.
A good comparion of these two types of RAID is given by Buzzle in the best way.

Quote:
The RAID 5 performance in the read operations is quite appreciated, though its write operation is quite slow, as compared to RAID 10. RAID 10 is thus used for systems which require high write performance. Hence, it is very obvious, RAID 10 is not used for systems like heavy databases, which require high speed write performance.

The RAID 10 arrays are more data redundant than the RAID 5 arrays. This makes RAID 10 an ideal option for the cases where high data redundancy is required.

RAID 5 demands a high-end card for the data storage performance. If the purpose of the RAID 5 controller is being solved by the operating system, then it will result in the slowing down of the performance of the computer. In case of a RAID 10 controller, any hardware controller can be used.

RAID 10 finds a wide variety of applications. Systems with RAID 0, RAID 1 or RAID 5 storage schemes are often replaced with a RAID 10 storage scheme. They are mainly used for medium-sized databases. RAID 5 disks are primarily used in the processes that require transactions. Relational databases are among the other fields that run very well under a RAID 5 storage scheme.
Source: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/raid5-vs-raid10.html

You are to make the choice between these two RAIDs and decide for yourself which one is better for you.

Last edited by J. H. Rasmussen; 01-13-2013 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Added quote wrapper and source link.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 PM

When you feel that you have a higher demands for your websites that's the time you are going to switch on dedicated server. It is more powerful and reliable than any other servers so you can expect a great response on your demands.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 AM
Contributing Member

If your sites are growing and making you money, it's time to upgrade. Not only because you will need the space and control, but because you will need your sites to be up all time, and better support and security.
Try a VPS first and the grow to a dedicated server when you need it.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Dedicated Servers

Closed Thread