Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 PM

Large Static HtML sites

Hello all, Im in the process of developing a HUGE site, but I made the decision to go with static HTML over a CMS. I have a pretty good understanding of making a good HTML template from "include" files. I plan on having thousands of articles on the site eventually.

The only scary part about this venture, is say in the future I want to switch to a CMS (like wordpress), am I going to be able to do this? Do any of you WordPress geeks out there know if there is an import button for static HTML articles?

Also does anyone else know if there are any successful websites out there that still use static HTML that have a LOT of content/visitors?

Also if you are curious about seeing my to-be-soon huge static HTML site you can see it at yurtopic(dot)com

The site is very basic, but it gets the job done in my opinion

Do any of you guys still use static HTML for your sites?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

I am not a fan of WP. Most CMS will require a lot of cutting and pasting to enter the data.

And yes I have a couple that still use HTML and PHP includes for the header, nav, side bar and footer portions. Going though a bunch of pages one time to change a nav link convinced includes were the only way to go.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwilks View Post
The only scary part about this venture, is say in the future I want to switch to a CMS (like wordpress), am I going to be able to do this? Do any of you WordPress geeks out there know if there is an import button for static HTML articles?
When moving from a static site to a CMS system you have to make sure you can set it up the urls the same way or know how to do 301 permanent redirects to send incoming links and search engine bots to the new url.
Quote:
Also does anyone else know if there are any successful websites out there that still use static HTML that have a LOT of content/visitors?
I still have a couple of static HTML sites that have a fair number of visitors. The visitors don't know how you constructed the site unless they know to peak at the source code. And actually one of the advantages of not using a popular CMS is that you could be less likely to be hacked (assuming you have set up and secured your HTML site properly) by those who go after specific CMS because a flaw has come to light.
Quote:
Do any of you guys still use static HTML for your sites?
Actually I prefer to work on my static HTML sites because I am not limited to the confines of the CMS on my other sites.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
When moving from a static site to a CMS system you have to make sure you can set it up the urls the same way or know how to do 301 permanent redirects to send incoming links and search engine bots to the new url.
HTML has pointed out something very important that I failed to mention, the potential redirection part. I am not positive but I think WP uses the article or page title to create the friendly URLS. Whether it does or not, I suggest you name your pages that way for an easier transition later.

An article with a title of "How to win friends" should be named "How-to-win-friends.html'.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not sure if something exists already, but I'm sure you could find someone to write a script to index your site, grab the content, and insert it into a database for use with your cms. It's definitely doable.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby