Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 PM

How to prevent spam-bot to collect email address from my website?

On my website, we provide both web-based form and email hyperlinks. For web-based form, we use Captcha to prevent spam. However, for email hyperlinks, how to prevent the robot to collect the email address?

For example, in the following email hyperlink:

Please contact me at <a href="mailto:chcw@hotmail.com" class="blue">chcw@hotmail.com </a>

For the text "chcw@hotmail.com" in the <a></a> tag, I can replace the "@" with an image. But for attribute in href="mailto:chcw@hotmail.com", how to protect it?

Thank you.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

You can use encrypted javascript to write the emails. most harvesters won't load JS.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 AM

Are there any easy way to solve the problem? I don't know JS. Sorry.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

Put this between your <head></head> tags.
Code:
<script type="text/javascript"> var tld_ = new Array() tld_[0] = "com"; tld_[1] = "org"; tld_[2] = "net"; tld_[3] = "ws"; tld_[4] = "info"; tld_[10] = "co.uk"; tld_[11] = "org.uk"; tld_[12] = "gov.uk"; tld_[13] = "ac.uk"; var topDom_ = 13; var m_ = "mailto:"; var a_ = "@"; var d_ = "."; function mail(name, dom, tl, params) { var s = e(name,dom,tl); document.write('<a href="'+m_+s+params+'">'+s+'</a>'); } function mail2(name, dom, tl, params, display) { document.write('<a href="'+m_+e(name,dom,tl)+params+'">'+display+'</a>'); } function e(name, dom, tl) { var s = name+a_; if (tl!=-2) { s+= dom; if (tl>=0) s+= d_+tld_[tl]; } else s+= swapper(dom); return s; } function swapper(d) { var s = ""; for (var i=0; i<d.length; i+=2) if (i+1==d.length) s+= d.charAt(i) else s+= d.charAt(i+1)+d.charAt(i); return s.replace(/\?/g,'.'); } </script>
Then put this: <script>mail("mailto:chcw","hotmail",0,"")</script> where you want the link to appear.

Source: http://www.bronze-age.com/nospam/

Old 03-06-2013, 12:36 PM
v7n Mentor

Chcw,

You could search for a bot blacklist for .htaccess if your server supports use of that configuration file. Then you could prevent most malicious bots from coming to your website in the first place.

Hope that helps,

Shawn

Old 03-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

A few alternatives:

1) Create images of the emails. Obviously they won't be click-able, but make them short enough so not too difficult to enter by hand.

2) Joe.Shmoe AT thecompanyname DOT com

3) Don't offer up the linked emails; use just the web FORM to accept submissions. If you're already using CAPTCHA then you'll prevent pesky bots from auto-submitting.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby