Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Making Contact_Name a mandatory Form field

I have this Form that works successfully (I know it's not state-of-the-art).
I simply want to add code to make Contact Name field mandatory. Can you help me?

Code:
<script type="text/javascript"> function checkemail(){ var str=document.myform.email_address.value; var filter=/^([\w-]+(?:\.[\w-]+)*)@((?:[\w-]+\.)*\w[\w-]{0,66})\.([a-z]{2,6}(?:\.[a-z]{2})?)$/i; if (filter.test(str)) testresults=true; else { alert("Please input a valid email address!"); return false; } if(document.myform.agree.checked!=1) { alert("Please check the box to agree to the Terms."); return false; } if(document.myform.ans.value.toLowerCase()!="white") { alert("Please answer security question correctly: Black or White?"); return false; } return true; } </script>

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 02:45 PM
v7n Mentor

Chrisjchrisj,

You could just insert this code into your form,
PHP Code:
if(document.forms.contact.fullName.value!=0)
{
alert("Please enter your full name.");
return 
false;

Of course this will just through an alert when the box is empty.

Hope that helps,

Shawn

Last edited by snakeair; 03-20-2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: add code tags

Old 03-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

thanks

Thanks. you are very kind tp ost a suggestion, however it didn't work in the way I added it, as shown below. Any additional help will be appreciated.

Code:
<script type="text/javascript"> function checkemail(){ var str=document.myform.email_address.value; var filter=/^([\w-]+(?:\.[\w-]+)*)@((?:[\w-]+\.)*\w[\w-]{0,66})\.([a-z]{2,6}(?:\.[a-z]{2})?)$/i; if (filter.test(str)) testresults=true; else { alert("Please input a valid email address!"); return false; } if(document.myform.agree.checked!=1) { alert("Please check the box to agree to the Terms."); return false; } if(document.forms.contact.fullName.value!=0) { alert("Please enter your full name."); return false; } if(document.myform.ans.value.toLowerCase()!="white") { alert("Please answer security question correctly: Black or White?"); return false; } return true; } </script>

No alert appear when the contact_name field was empty.

I also tried:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript"> function checkemail(){ var str=document.myform.email_address.value; var filter=/^([\w-]+(?:\.[\w-]+)*)@((?:[\w-]+\.)*\w[\w-]{0,66})\.([a-z]{2,6}(?:\.[a-z]{2})?)$/i; if (filter.test(str)) testresults=true; else { alert("Please input a valid email address!"); return false; } if(document.myform.agree.checked!=1) { alert("Please check the box to agree to the Terms."); return false; } if(document.myform.contact_name.value!=0) { alert("Please enter your full name."); return false; } if(document.myform.ans.value.toLowerCase()!="white") { alert("Please answer security question correctly: Black or White?"); return false; } return true; } </script>

Old 03-20-2013, 11:29 AM
v7n Mentor

Chris,

Sorry I should have been more clear.

Are you certain that your HTML is configured correctly? So for example in the Javascript statement you have, you are referencing an input field with the name “contact_form”.

Your input should look something like this
<input name=”contact_form” />

Is that the way you have it set up?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Closed Thread