Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Need Design Help for Mobile & Big Screen

I'm trying to design a simple website that looks good on a smart phone as well as a regular computer screen. I'm just getting started. This rough draft looks great on a smart phone, but the client wants it bigger on a regular screen. When I make it bigger, it requires scrolling on a smart phone. Any suggestions?

http://pawsitivetrainingcenter.com/z.html

Last edited by snakeair; 03-26-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 03:15 PM
v7n Mentor

countryNaturals,

Have you considered developing with a CMS at all? Its super easy to find responsive templates that will have the mobile version squared away for you already.

If you want to continue using the custom HTML you have made, I would suggest building another site for regular computers and keep your current version for mobile devices. You will have to employ a custom script to detect when a mobile device visits the site and trigger a different style sheet when this happens.

Something like this,

<link rel="stylesheet" href="handheld.css" type="text/css" media="handheld"/>

Here is a post on redirecting mobile visitors,

http://www.webhostinghub.com/support...obile-redirect

Hope that helps,

Shawn

Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Thx, Shawn. If I'm understanding you, the custom script does the redirect seamlessly, but it doesn't reformat anything. I guess the bottom line is that no matter what I do, I will have to develop 2 versions of the site. Is that right? My temporary workaround is just to have an opening page, where visitors click their viewing preference.

http://pawsitivetrainingcenter.com/y.html

Is that a turn-off for visitors?

Last edited by J. H. Rasmussen; 03-27-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Suz,
You can do something like this for the mobile people instead of doing double work.

First of all start with a fleixble (liquid) design. i.e. it adjusts to different browser window width sizes without scroll bars when you get smaller. Old technique ignored by a lot of web designers. They prefer fixed size design and don't consider anyone below their chosen fixed width design (or elements). Same technique can be used today except we have to make it work for less than 640px wide now.

Once you get it adjusting nicely for down to 640px, you can further tweak with the following for phones/devices that are not smart enough to render without a little help.

Place in the head section
Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=2.0, user-scalable=yes"> <link media="handheld, only screen and (max-width: 480px), only screen and (max-device-width: 480px)" href="css/mobile.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"> <!--[if IEMobile]> <link media="screen" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/mobile.css" /> <![endif]-->
Then edit the mobile.css as necessary. You don't need to redo the CSS file, just the parts that need help on the small screen.

Now for the big screen TV, in the original CSS file you can use max-width for the container the surrounds the whole design along with a percentage width.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Great. This forum ROCKS! Thanks for all the help.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby