Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 04-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

Forum software for my 'real time' chat site NE1UP?

I love forums. I love this forum. I think I might need or want a forum setup for my site.

I've seen a lot of forums that offer a real-time chat option/box, so I'm curious about that - I've been looking more at Twitter-esque options for a real-time social network (my site is called NE1UP which sounds real-time and visitors show up there expecting live chat), but I love the forum's ability to retain questions and answers and conversations and generate search traffic that way, for a long period of time.

I would have just a chat setup, but most chat rooms, even strictly text, lack any real way (to my limited knowledge!!) to store that information and allow it to be searchable by various engines (Google, Bing, etc).

If anyone can suggest a forum better suited somehow for a realish-time chat site, or even something that's non-forum, it would be greatly appreciated! I have it set up as a search portal right now, and a personal learning project on my end, so it's more functional than beautiful right now. But I haven't integrated a chat solution yet and that's my next step.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM

If you have a vBulletin license, then there's a free Shoutbox from Dragonbyte Tech that you can install. Is that something you'd be interested in?

Old 06-06-2013, 01:22 AM
Contributing Member

vbulletin is best choice, so you have to pay some money for license.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:46 AM
Contributing Member

vBulletin is definitely the way to go if you are looking for something that can enable a chat set up. vBulletin is a paid forum software but it is also very easy to work with. You will have the ability to have a shout box which updates in real time allowing your members to chat using the shout box whilst using your forum. The free shout box from DragonByte Tech as mentioned above by Masamune is one I have used myself and I would recommend.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management