Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 12-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

Am I doing something wrong?

Greatings to everyone.
I have start to notice some problem with forums and I dont know what is the problem!! Its not that I don't read the rules and I try to follow them but one forum suspended me that I was spamming, another one banned my ip address so it to this extent that I think there maybe something wrong I do without realizing.
I ask the members of V7N to view my posts if you can find anything wrong please let me know so that I don't lose farther more.
Do you think am spamming?
What is wrong with my posts?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwande View Post
Greatings to everyone.
I have start to notice some problem with forums and I dont know what is the problem!! Its not that I don't read the rules and I try to follow them but one forum suspended me that I was spamming, another one banned my ip address so it to this extent that I think there maybe something wrong I do without realizing.
I ask the members of V7N to view my posts if you can find anything wrong please let me know so that I don't lose farther more.
Do you think am spamming?
Every forum has there own set's of rules and the moderators moderate the forum in a certain way. We can not tell you why you was banned on another forum but they should of issued you a warning or an infraction first to explain to you why you got the warning and to resolve the issue.

To be honest, if you was banned on a forum with no warning giving at all (referring to issuing infraction), that forum wasn't worth it for you to join in the first place.

Spamming can mean a lot of things. Posting low quality posts as in 1 sentence, not reading the replies before posting a comment, posting a lot of posts within a very short time spam...etc

We have our own set of quality posting guidelines on this forum that is located at this link: http://www.v7n.com/forums/forum-lobb...tml#post743580

If you did some of the things mentioned in that sticky thread on those other forums then yes, the moderators labeled you as a spammer. I got banned from sitepoint.com forum 6 years ago but that didn't bother me, I just joined other forums and ended up here on v7n forum as a super moderator.

I moved on and didn't worry about why I got banned as I never got a warning or a reason why.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

I think your posting quality generally is fine. When i ask a member to explain why he/she chose something, it's because just choosing something is usually not that helpful, what is helpful, is if you backup your reply with some informations about why you would chose something.

It's not a warning or an infraction, it's just guiding the member in the right direction of what is expected on v7n.

If i do something you don't understand, then you're very welcome to send me a PM, and i will try to explain why i did what i did.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:14 AM
Banned

i guess may be there are some errors while posting so that the forum sites discarded you post replied. There are certain rules and regulation on every sites so may be there are some anti spamming techniques which prevent your post from spamming.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Thank you all who replied to me.
But to be sincere I was not warned at all! you know posting to a forum means you have taken your time and money because internet is not for free, but if someone don't value your time and wait until when you reach to 200 posts and then ban you I think it is not fair, in fact I thought maybe my posts are spammy that is why they banned me but they should have caused that to my IP address without warning.
I was scared to get banned even here that is why I asked that question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webgeninfosystems View Post
i guess may be there are some errors while posting so that the forum sites discarded you post replied. There are certain rules and regulation on every sites so may be there are some anti spamming techniques which prevent your post from spamming.
First thing I always do is to read the rules before posting and even if there is mistake like one time I was warned here for posting in wrong place, it was clear and I hope I never did it again.
That is good leadership and mannagement is all about, to remaind before punishing

Last edited by snakeair; 12-20-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: merged posts

Old 06-06-2013, 03:11 AM
Contributing Member

Your posting seems fine to me, it could just be the way that other forum owners work. I have known some forum owners to ban just because someones English is not as they wish it to be which I feel is rude but with it being there forum there is not much you can do about that. Some have rules that you would not expect to see on a forum so it is always best to read rules on all forums you register to just to familiarise yourself with them. It does seem rude that they banned you with no word or even warning.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:59 AM

i completely agree with snakeair, i got banned a lot of times too for the same reasons he has given, if you don't repeat those mistakes, i think you will be fine

Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Banned

Banned Without Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
I got banned from sitepoint.com forum 6 years ago but that didn't bother me, I just joined other forums and ended up here on v7n forum as a super moderator.
Definitely their loss. A forum really should issue a warning before outright banning members. Sometimes a little coaching can make a valuable forum member.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management