Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 05-03-2013, 06:19 AM

Bad forum technique?

Hi everyone, A quick question that I just want to ask your opinions on. I'm going through a back link profile of a site at the moment and have found lots of links coming from forum bio's from members who have made no posts and simply registered for a link in their bio.

On further investigation, out of the thousands of members, only 3 - 10 have made posts. The rest of the member list simply contains members dropping links in there profile. I then have discovered that there is no accessible message board either, you cant even find the forum, only the member list! The sites in question have a legitimate home page and a few sub pages with Page Rank, and then this huge list of members hidden in the background.

How would Google view these types of links? To me they are totally unnatural but just want to see what others think just in case I've seriously missed something lol

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 AM
v7n Mentor

Cool,

I can only offer my opinion and no solid evidence. I think that if the sites that these links are coming from do not appear to be of any real value or were constructed for backlinking purposes, they will probably be seen as unnatural. Whether they are right now or not is debatable. Typically, you should be able to follow the URL of any link to a site and either find the page the link is on or an error page if it no longer exists.

Best,

Shawn

Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
out of the thousands of members, only 3 - 10 have made posts
In that case it's likely that the vast proportion of 'members' have never actually visited your site at all, but that registrations are being done by automated bots. That's a problem that anyone who has a site that allows users to register will have.

Depending upon your site creation software, there will undoubtedly be a setting or a module to prevent automated registrations. If you have a suitable setting, only allow registrations that you have personally approved, or if there are too many, only allow registrations where the registrant has clicked on a link from an email sent to the address they have given.

There are also modules that may automatically remove members after a set time if they have never visited the site since registering.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:27 AM
v7n Mentor

technol is right about the bots. My forum used to receive 10-20 "new" members a day that never posted. Now they get auto-deleted after 5 days of inactivity.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

those bots are irritating.. I once moderate a forum site.. and I receive more than 100 post a day.. and it kills me then removing all post and accounts.. time consuming and you need to exert some efforts because you might remove the legit and non spam account..

Old 07-08-2013, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

If you provide the information regarding to your site link then google treat as discussion and it never spam your liks and all.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:58 AM
Banned

This kind of backlinks is a SPAM and useless for Google. You will see much better success if you take part in the discussions in those forums and contribute and add something useful for other members, this will not even help you for visitors (nobody would see your profile if you don't have at least 5-10 posts...)

Old 07-08-2013, 08:35 PM

@patco....
Please read the original post before posting a comment...)

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management