Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #1  
Old 07-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Brazzell Marketing Brazzell Marketing is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 03-25-06
Location: Galax, Virginia, USA
Posts: 358
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Incorrectly Banned for Spam

I tried to get more active on some forums where I have been long absent and found my account banned at 9mb and WebDesignForum.com. One said no reason given and one said for spam. I'm concerned about it because I don't post spam. I had a nice collection of reputation points on 9mb. So I'm wondering if I've had my accounts hacked, my i.p. has ended up on some list, or if there is a bug in V Bulletin that tells inactive accounts they've been banned. Any thoughts?

Here are the vBulletin messages I'm getting:
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

and

You have been banned for the following reason:
Posting unwanted spam

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #2  
Old 07-08-2013, 09:17 PM
snakeair snakeair is offline
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018
 
Join Date: 12-31-07
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 54,771
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazzell Marketing View Post
I tried to get more active on some forums where I have been long absent and found my account banned at 9mb and WebDesignForum.com. One said no reason given and one said for spam. I'm concerned about it because I don't post spam. I had a nice collection of reputation points on 9mb. So I'm wondering if I've had my accounts hacked, my i.p. has ended up on some list, or if there is a bug in V Bulletin that tells inactive accounts they've been banned. Any thoughts?

Here are the vBulletin messages I'm getting:
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

and

You have been banned for the following reason:
Posting unwanted spam

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Wow, those types of forums not giving a reason seems a bit odd. First of all, did you even get any infractions or warning messages? At least if they did that, you'd be able to change your posting around to stay within there guidelines.

I'm not saying you posted spam but something you did on those forums triggered a ban from them. Now if your account was hacked, you need to contact the forum owner and show proof or something that your account was hacked and maybe you might get the ban lifted.

Are you posting under your own IP address or is other people using your IP address and posting on those forums?

On well moderated forums, if there is multiple accounts under 1 IP, all those accounts may get banned even though you didn't create duplicate accounts, spam the forum but they might think you did. (I'm just posting an opinion as I don't have any fact's)
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 AM
Brazzell Marketing Brazzell Marketing is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 03-25-06
Location: Galax, Virginia, USA
Posts: 358
iTrader: 0 / 0%
No infraction notices

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Wow, those types of forums not giving a reason seems a bit odd. First of all, did you even get any infractions or warning messages? At least if they did that, you'd be able to change your posting around to stay within there guidelines.
There were no infraction notices. Absolutely zero notices. I was getting thread updates from 9mb until recently. My behavior on those forums was the same as my behavior on V7N.

I did recently notice that my IP addressed changed. It formerly always started with a 7, and I noticed only last night that now my network IP starts with a 5. I was wondering if maybe vBulletin had a universal block list of bad players that all vBulletin sites could use, and maybe that was why I suddenly found myself banned from two forums.

Maybe I'll create a new account and then see if I can get a Mod's attention to get my old account reinstated.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2013, 07:02 AM
snakeair snakeair is offline
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018
 
Join Date: 12-31-07
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 54,771
iTrader: 3 / 100%
You need to get a chance to explain yourself or get a real reason. I'd want to know why I was banned on a forum so it at least answer's that question in the back of my mind.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-20-2013, 03:42 AM
exatienda's Avatar
exatienda exatienda is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-11-13
Location: Manresa, Barcelona, Spain
Posts: 77
iTrader: 0 / 0%
It can be for many reasons, the IP, past spam content... What should I do is talk to the webmaster of the forum and ask for him/her what was the reason of your ban and try to manage a solution.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2013, 07:40 AM
Brazzell Marketing Brazzell Marketing is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 03-25-06
Location: Galax, Virginia, USA
Posts: 358
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I had to mask my IP address just to submit a contact us form at 9MB. I'll let you know what happens.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 PM
simplyamazing12 simplyamazing12 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-14-10
Posts: 897
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Your account could have been compromised and they just banned all IP addresses associated with the account. The person who got a hold of your account could have spammed using a spam bot using your username.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 PM
snakeair snakeair is offline
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018
 
Join Date: 12-31-07
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 54,771
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazzell Marketing View Post
I had to mask my IP address just to submit a contact us form at 9MB. I'll let you know what happens.
Any update?
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bing Is Incorrectly Handling Url Parameters maembe SEO Forum 1 05-12-2013 11:48 PM
How To Avoid Using The Assignment, Equality & Identical Operators Incorrectly abajan Coding Forum 1 11-19-2009 02:51 AM
Pages Opening Incorrectly kenk_wa Coding Forum 2 07-20-2007 03:05 AM
How should I optimize for incorrectly spelled keywords? James Trotta SEO Forum 11 03-02-2006 12:52 AM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:58 AM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC