Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 07-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Banned

Incorrectly Banned for Spam

I tried to get more active on some forums where I have been long absent and found my account banned at 9mb and WebDesignForum.com. One said no reason given and one said for spam. I'm concerned about it because I don't post spam. I had a nice collection of reputation points on 9mb. So I'm wondering if I've had my accounts hacked, my i.p. has ended up on some list, or if there is a bug in V Bulletin that tells inactive accounts they've been banned. Any thoughts?

Here are the vBulletin messages I'm getting:
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

and

Posting unwanted spam

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazzell Marketing View Post
I tried to get more active on some forums where I have been long absent and found my account banned at 9mb and WebDesignForum.com. One said no reason given and one said for spam. I'm concerned about it because I don't post spam. I had a nice collection of reputation points on 9mb. So I'm wondering if I've had my accounts hacked, my i.p. has ended up on some list, or if there is a bug in V Bulletin that tells inactive accounts they've been banned. Any thoughts?

Here are the vBulletin messages I'm getting:
No reason was specified.

and

Posting unwanted spam

Wow, those types of forums not giving a reason seems a bit odd. First of all, did you even get any infractions or warning messages? At least if they did that, you'd be able to change your posting around to stay within there guidelines.

I'm not saying you posted spam but something you did on those forums triggered a ban from them. Now if your account was hacked, you need to contact the forum owner and show proof or something that your account was hacked and maybe you might get the ban lifted.

Are you posting under your own IP address or is other people using your IP address and posting on those forums?

On well moderated forums, if there is multiple accounts under 1 IP, all those accounts may get banned even though you didn't create duplicate accounts, spam the forum but they might think you did. (I'm just posting an opinion as I don't have any fact's)

Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 AM
Banned

No infraction notices

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Wow, those types of forums not giving a reason seems a bit odd. First of all, did you even get any infractions or warning messages? At least if they did that, you'd be able to change your posting around to stay within there guidelines.
There were no infraction notices. Absolutely zero notices. I was getting thread updates from 9mb until recently. My behavior on those forums was the same as my behavior on V7N.

I did recently notice that my IP addressed changed. It formerly always started with a 7, and I noticed only last night that now my network IP starts with a 5. I was wondering if maybe vBulletin had a universal block list of bad players that all vBulletin sites could use, and maybe that was why I suddenly found myself banned from two forums.

Maybe I'll create a new account and then see if I can get a Mod's attention to get my old account reinstated.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:02 AM

You need to get a chance to explain yourself or get a real reason. I'd want to know why I was banned on a forum so it at least answer's that question in the back of my mind.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:42 AM
Contributing Member

It can be for many reasons, the IP, past spam content... What should I do is talk to the webmaster of the forum and ask for him/her what was the reason of your ban and try to manage a solution.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:40 AM
Banned

I had to mask my IP address just to submit a contact us form at 9MB. I'll let you know what happens.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Your account could have been compromised and they just banned all IP addresses associated with the account. The person who got a hold of your account could have spammed using a spam bot using your username.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazzell Marketing View Post
I had to mask my IP address just to submit a contact us form at 9MB. I'll let you know what happens.
Any update?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management