Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |

Old 11-13-2018, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Yes got the Hep shot but it only lasts 10 years.

Here all people in the food industry have to be certified food safe which I believe includes drilling into their heads to wash hands constantly.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-13-2018, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post

Have both of you gotten a Hep-A shot? It is a two injection series 6 months apart but you are protected after the first one.
The Flu shot - ya, I think I'll do another one this year. Hep-A? Not sure, but I'll look into it. Wasn't mentioned by my doctor as far as I can remember.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Yes got the Hep shot but it only lasts 10 years.

Here all people in the food industry have to be certified food safe which I believe includes drilling into their heads to wash hands constantly.
The people may be smarter and more diligent where you are. There were certainly more polite during my brief visit to your town.

At my age 10 years should be long enough.

Last edited by ScriptMan; 11-14-2018 at 06:36 AM.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
The Flu shot - ya, I think I'll do another one this year. Hep-A? Not sure, but I'll look into it. Wasn't mentioned by my doctor as far as I can remember.
I was in for my annual visit in mid August and my Doc sorta balked at giving it to me and told me the insurance might not cover it. That is was only suggested for health care workers. Based on a statement from someone I know who works in health care in a nearby community I insisted I was going to have even if I had to pay. There was no charge.

4 weeks later the HMO is sending out mass emails encouraging everyone to get the vaccine. I was just slightly ahead of the game.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Postal strike could be good for the malls.
I'm supposed to be ordering some things from a UK store/warehouse on the 19th. They can't confirm or deny whether they hand off to Canada Post or to a courier when they land here. I told them if they can't tell me definitively, I'm not ordering the merchandise because of the CP rotating strikes. I asked if they were making plans to just use a courier, they said there was no plans for that. Yep, looks like I may be heading back to the malls.

Quote:
I was in for my annual visit in mid August and my Doc sorta balked at giving it to me and told me the insurance might not cover it. That is was only suggested for health care workers. Based on a statement from someone I know who works in health care in a nearby community I insisted I was going to have even if I had to pay. There was no charge.

4 weeks later the HMO is sending out mass emails encouraging everyone to get the vaccine. I was just slightly ahead of the game.
Spoke to my doctor today - Hep A and B are transmitted thru contaminated food or water and I'm sure a few other ways. We got the vaccine shots in 2012 before travelling to Mexico. Whereas Hep C is usually transmitted thru blood and maybe sex. The latter I'm not really sure about - had to look it up, and apparently it's certainly possible. Apparently there's no vaccine for Hep C

Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

The cobbler's child got some shoes around here yesterday.

I managed to seal up a few nuisance air leaks and do a bit of caulking. Every time I have to work at or on a window over a kitchen sink I reaffirm my hatred of them. This old back, knees and general body parts no longer like those positions.

At least I can still move today.

I hate hearing that both of you are dealing with this postal strike situation. IMO, public service workers should not be permitted to strike.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Every time I have to work at or on a window over a kitchen sink I reaffirm my hatred of them.
Try removing a wall-mount range hood with a decorative chimney extension, and installing something bigger more heavy-duty than the original.

Quote:
At least I can still move today.
That's why they created Aleve - just in case. And with moderation of course.

Quote:
IMO, public service workers should not be permitted to strike.
I agree. It always seems the unions of the various so-called non-essential services magically decide to push for a work slow-down, or strike, when the public needs the service the most.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Try removing a wall-mount range hood with a decorative chimney extension, and installing something bigger more heavy-duty than the original.

That is not a project for an older fellar or even two of them.

I sure hope you weren't doing it alone.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
That is not a project for an older fellar or even two of them.

I sure hope you weren't doing it alone.
No, I had some "paid" help. Especially trying to upsize the vent hole thru the interior wall (not such a big issue) and exterior bricks (much harder job) from 6"-8".

I will say, the standard and even slightly up-scale vent hoods have historically been as loud as "low-flying-airplanes" when turning them on the highest speed - and most don't vent more than 60-70% of cooking smells. In otherwords, step outside, then come inside after a few minutes and the dinner smells are pretty strong.

The new vent hood, has two motors which, when turned to the highest setting is still more than 60% quieter than most average vents and gets close to 95% of the cooking steam/odors.

With the old range hood was on the highest setting (which wasn't a cheap unit either), you had to leave the kitchen to have a conversation with anyone, or you just had to almost shout to be heard.

Last edited by LMD; 11-15-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: add

Old 11-15-2018, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

I assume the new one has a make up air system?

Old 11-15-2018, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

The place isn't air-tight, by any means. With builder electric C02 sensors interconnected on all floors, about 10 vents on the roof, second floor laundry and two bathroom vents up there as well, along with a main floor bathroom vent, we're getting good return air.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The place isn't air-tight, by any means. With builder electric C02 sensors interconnected on all floors, about 10 vents on the roof, second floor laundry and two bathroom vents up there as well, along with a main floor bathroom vent, we're getting good return air.
Make up air supply feeds outside air to the immediate area where the vent is operating so as to prevent it from creating negative air pressure in the home. Thus even though it does not sound like it, it actually improves HVAC efficiency by providing air where it is being removed and prevent air from being sucked in through cracks around doors and windows. The make up air has to be a lower cfm than the exhaust and I no longer recall the exact numbers but I think it is a about a 60/40 ratio.

this article is using scare tactics to sell it: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...or-range-hoods

https://sebringdesignbuild.com/make-...exhaust-vents/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-1-4-in...6914/204358178

Old 11-16-2018, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for those links. I'm pretty sure I've visited the first link at some point, as the site looks kind of familiar.

The Sebring site explains the function and use of the same make-up air unit that the Vent-a-Hood site does as well. I understand the principle of it and it makes sense.

However, what the Sebring site describes as air to be "clogged", creating "an unpleasant environment" and potential "temperature fluctuations" is a bit unclear. I'm not sure how vacating some air over the stove would facilitate worrisome "temp fluctuations", and I'm even less clear about the "unpleasant environment" using the hood would create.

Regardless, I've contacted my appliance supplier and asked a few questions. In the mean time I'll have to fine-tune my spidey-senses when using the vent for now.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for those links. I'm pretty sure I've visited the first link at some point, as the site looks kind of familiar.
YW. And do keep in mind that the old, country, cheap, simple way is to just open the kitchen window a bit when using the hood and cooking smelly stuff. That keeps the rest of the house warm.

I fear you may hear that in your climate make up air only makes sense when using a tempering system, a duct inside a duct where the entering and exit air pass each other. This allows the exit air to warm or temper the air entering. Now you are talking some big bucks.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
YW. And do keep in mind that the old, country, cheap, simple way is to just open the kitchen window a bit when using the hood and cooking smelly stuff. That keeps the rest of the house warm.
True that. A lot less expensive too!

Quote:
I fear you may hear that in your climate make up air only makes sense when using a tempering system, a duct inside a duct where the entering and exit air pass each other. This allows the exit air to warm or temper the air entering. Now you are talking some big bucks.
Yep, that does sound expensive.

Although, I haven't checked my lottery numbers from last week's draw. I did see that there was no big jackpot prize winner, but there were a dozen or so draws for $1million.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Our snow plowing services began effective Nov 15th. First accumulating snow fall happened overnight. Timing is everything.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Our snow plowing services began effective Nov 15th. First accumulating snow fall happened overnight. Timing is everything.
LOL is right. We actually had a marginal 1/2" yesterday evening; all gone now except for the shady spots and nothing stuck to the roads at all. For us that is darned early.

It sorta reminds me of the winter of 76 when a friend and I contracted to do a room addition for someone but she had to have it for the holidays. We were freezing our butts off trying to nail up lap siding in the slush. Later that winter the antifreeze in my car radiator was slushy in the mornings.

Time to find a winter home for my utility trailer so I can get the truck back in the garage.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Time to find a winter home for my utility trailer so I can get the truck back in the garage.
They just announced our winter forecast. Nothing out of the ordinary for us - normal snow, normal cold. Although, the next two weeks or so the Jetstream dives south from about Alaska down to the mid states, heads across and then up the eastern seaboard. That means rough weather through maybe the mid states, but particularly bad weather up thru NY, Vermont, Maine and then into NB, NS and Newfoundland. Or, so they say.

It's all got something to do with warmer than usual water temperature in the southern Pacific (El Niño), and "the blob" up near Alaska.

I kid you not - that's what the are calling it - "the blob".

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby