Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 03-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Why We’re Removing Comments on Copyblogger

Copyblogger has announced they are closing comments on their blog.
Quote:
Blog comments are an amazing resource for any blog when it’s getting started. It’s a super convenient way to take the pulse of your audience. It’s a quick metric for getting a sense of how strongly the audience responds to a particular post. And it lets a community start to grow up around you — around your ideas and how you express them.

All of those are good things. And for eight years, comments have been a fantastic thing here on Copyblogger.

We’re fortunate enough (mainly because Copyblogger’s been around for so long now) that we have a lot of thriving “outposts” where conversation happens, particularly Google+ and Twitter.

So we’re going to take the conversation there (and more important, to your own blogs), and see how that works.
Why We’re Removing Comments on Copyblogger
http://www.copyblogger.com/removing-blog-comments/

In the announcement they encourage you to develop you own blog posts if you have something to say about their articles (ploy to get more "natural" backlinks?)

They want you to discuss their material on social media.

I am not convinced this is the right approach for anyone. You are putting your success in the hands of others instead of on your site where you control your destiny.

If you can't be bothered to moderate and reply to comments on your blog, maybe you shouldn't have one.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 03:22 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Now if you want to link back to us, of course we would love that. But the main goal here is to make the ideas your own — to create your own expression, your own take.
No, I'm sorry. I think the main goal is to get links. They might very well be right, links from posts on other sites that contain that quality of content might be/probably is more valuable to them than having that content on their own site in the form of content. Seems to me though that they're over stating the altruistic nature of their motives and that's off putting to me.

Regarding spam:

Quote:
And that’s real time spent, 365 days a year. That’s time we could be writing content, making connections with people who aren’t spammers, going for walks, fueling our creative engines, dreaming up crazy product ideas, swinging kettlebells. Whatever
The only thing worse than comment spam is comment spam you can't do anything about. I think by directing the conversation "elsewhere" that's what they're setting themselves up for. Those great comments they're talking about having had over the years may end up floating in a sea of spam.

I think an "official" place where you interact with the public and where you have maximum control over the environment makes sense. One could say that now that will be on their social platforms, like fb, but won't they still have to deal with spam and do so with less and less effective tools?

I think this is a purely self serving move and only time will tell if it's a smart one, but I have my doubts.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Those great comments are about 2 out of 1000. I can understand why they don't think it is worth the effort.

If the spammers, scammers and thieves on the Internet aren't regulated and put out of business soon, the Internet is going to become just another sewer dump.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Sad. Can they instead put a limit to the number of comments until they only enable social media interaction? Copyblogger is certainly a good site to build backlinks from as it is a reputable site. tsk.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Gen View Post
Copyblogger is certainly a good site to build backlinks from as it is a reputable site. tsk.
That is probably why they turned comments off - people only commenting for the good backlink.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:06 AM
Contributing Member

It's a real shame when it comes down to this for any blog. I'm still going to read the blog though.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

They did this on the StudioPress blog a few month's ago and I never knew why till the Copyblogger post.

The crappy SEO backlink builders use these types of quality blogs to post spam or useless replies for links to earn there pay while others take time to write a thoughtful blog post that may get missed by a lot of people.

Huge blogs should hire someone to moderate the blog comments and respond on behalf of the blog post author if needed. I'd love to see some stat's from copyblogger after a few week's of no comment's.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Huge blogs should hire someone to moderate the blog comments and respond on behalf of the blog post author if needed. I'd love to see some stat's from copyblogger after a few week's of no comment's.
Most huge blogs do have people specifically for moderating comments. I'm pretty sure Copyblogger makes enough revenue to be able to afford a few people in a team to moderate comments.

It's their blog and their choice, so that's their decision and nothing really anybody can do about it.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Sometimes I like reading blog comment's and just laugh at all the response's. I'm going to miss that on copyblogger but will have to jump on board with Google+ now.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Came across this blog post here which seems to be a response of Copyblogger closing their comments:

http://www.productiveflourishing.com...comments-open/

Old 05-03-2014, 06:40 PM
No Longer Active

Quite often, I learn more from the discussions in comments than I do from the post itself.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:42 PM

Thats bad logic I'm sorry. If a parent doesn't want a kid to say gibberish they don't cover the kids mouth. They reward relevant talking and discourage gibberish. Get a captcha and moderate the comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-07-2014, 01:01 AM
Contributing Member

Well instead of turning off the comments umm.. maybe it was a better idea to moderate spammy links from appearing as comments! Or better enough turn off the option of URL field from their comment form!!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum