Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum

Domain Name Forum Discuss or get help with domain name issues. Ask for suggestions, etc.

Share |
Old 08-04-2015, 09:15 AM

New Domain Name - Copyright Question

I am getting ready to register a new domain name and I have a question concerning copyrights. If there is a product on the market with a similar name, can I still use the domain name if it is slightly different. For example, if the products name is Quick Cam and I was going to register quickcamera.com. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2015, 01:29 AM
Contributing Member

You have difference in 2 manes (at least 1 letter) - so they are different according to the low. I think there will be no issue from your end to get such domain name.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:27 PM

It depends on how you use the site....
Simply swapping a few letters to avoid licensing a product
could result in a suit that does not include copyright violations..
Be careful..

Old 08-22-2015, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devang101 View Post
Yes, you can use that domain , because quick and camera are two different words of English language you can use it for sure without any copyright infringement ..
Please site your legal references to support that claim.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Armchair Internet lawyers may wish to read this article: http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...SClt?li=AA4Zjn

A similar name used in an entirely different class of business may prevail in court but I highly doubt that a copy cat use will ever win.

And

More importantly do you have the time, energy and money to defend your position?

Old 08-22-2015, 01:35 PM
v7n Mentor

This has NOTHING to do with copyright!!

Its simple: You can not use someone else's registered trademark in your domain name.

Other than that if its similar or a derivative of the registered trademark, it depends on how much of a risk you want to take ... the trademark holder may or may not pursue action and they may or may not succeed and you may or may not have the resources to defend it if they choose to pursue it.

How much of a risk are you willing to gamble?

Last edited by Birdie; 08-22-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:27 AM

Apart from the copy right issue, I think this may harm your website popularity. Meaning: If you chose a domain name that is very similar to another well established one, you are making your audience mistake your site with the other well established site. By doing so you are contributing more to the popularity of the other site, and make people draft away from your own !

I suggest you better go for a unique domain name to build your own brand name. let it be easy and clear for hearers .

Best of luck

Old 08-24-2015, 03:29 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblogger View Post
Apart from the copy right issue
...and what copyright issue is that?

Old 08-24-2015, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
...and what copyright issue is that?
I'm not saying that it is true in this case because I don't have enough information to determine it.

When speaking or writing people often confuse trademarks and and copyrights. For both of them there are registered versions and there are "first use" unregistered claims. Any time you copy something you open yourself up to potential litigation, will most assuredly lose with the registered versions and might encounter expensive, lengthy litigation with "first use" versions.

How deep is your wallet and is worth the risk?

I've been involved in a few court cases, don't threaten them to others, and I don't start one unless I have to do so and if I start it, I plan to win it.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Yes you can buy the domain and it will be different from other you have mentioned.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:15 AM
Contributing Member

dont try to create the content similar to the other sites, without that, youre safe

Old 09-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsmith2032 View Post
I am getting ready to register a new domain name and I have a question concerning copyrights. If there is a product on the market with a similar name, can I still use the domain name if it is slightly different. For example, if the products name is Quick Cam and I was going to register quickcamera.com. Thanks in advance!
I'm no copyright expert but I see the names as entirely different. Do like I did for my domain when I filed an LLC named as my domain name, "CurbNumbers.com, LLC" (in your case, "QuickCamera.com, LLC)." That way nobody can copy you as you own the domain, they wouldn't want to copy you anyway because by using that name they would be sending business to your site, and you really don't even need to waste money trademarking the name since you own the site.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:49 AM
Contributing Member

mmm, it actually depend what short of domain you are going to use. If booking a domain that is similar to big brand then better to avoid it.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum