Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 08-31-2019, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Got any plans for the weekend? Is Monday a holiday in Canada?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2019, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

It's our labour day long weekend. Plans? Monday's rainy outlook will probably be sorting thru junk and getting the house in shape so I can enjoy the last part of summer weather - at least that's the plan.

What's on in your neck of the woods?

Old 09-01-2019, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

No rain except perhaps pop up storms.

Like you I am trying to convert my list from todo - - to tadah. Still have a few todos out in the yard and converting one per early morning is on my schedule.

I've always considered Labor Day weekend a downer as the end of the season holiday and as such it isn't a big one for me.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I've always considered Labor Day weekend a downer as the end of the season holiday and as such it isn't a big one for me.
It's a bit sad for me, as it's known as the unofficial end of summer.

There's still another month of good weather on the horizon, but sadly, the fall season arrives quite quickly.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

We normally have 2 more months but they go so fast.

I also have a moderate project to do at one of the rentals. It's a 2 day job so it will probably take me a week of my days.

I'm done wiyh the heavy stuff for today. I stripped the sod from a 4' circle around the second tree, deboned 10 chicken thighs and need to convert 5 pounds of ground beef into patties.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Still going thru junk and boxes - I'll need a bunch of extra garbage stickers for the extra bags for this week's pickup.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
Still going thru junk and boxes - I'll need a bunch of extra garbage ssticker for the extra bags for this week's pickup.
garbage stickers ?????????????????????????

At the risk of knowing that I will not like the answer, what are those?

Old 09-04-2019, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
...A hour or two of hard labor and I'm done. The list seems to be growing and not shrinking.
Quote:
Me too. Max 2 hours and I'm done - or at least need a long break.

I don't mind the list. I'm just glad I can assert and get across my assessment of my own limitations in terms of how fast things get started/done.

Of course there are exceptions to that rule, to negate being banished to the garden shed overnight - or longer
Good thing you two were not here on the long weekend. We put in 8 hours on Monday working on the yard. Only one or two of the things that were done were on the To Do List.

Quote:
If I recall correctly I've got 10 years on you (6...
Quote:
68 almost 69.
Quote:
You've got 5 years on me.
As the puppy of the conversation slinks away....

Quote:
Assessing a job - I usually start at guessing it'll take 2 hours if it involves finding tools, reading instructions, planning out a strategy etc.
Favourite saying here is "2 weeks tops!" for any project.
Quote:
...Putting a couple of pieces of furniture together - Ikea stuff - an afternoon...
We are getting to be experts at assembling furniture here. Ikea stuff on it's way - next weekend's project

Quote:
...Ah! Tool gathering. That can be a project all its own. I try to make a list of the steps with the tools / materials required as sub listings. About 75% effective. If the project is not at home I just load a lot of stuff on the truck.

I have toolboxes for major categories but some stuff defies classification. And then there is the failure to return stuff to the proper box bin.

Just shoot me before you ask me to do IKEA stuff.

I must own a 100 screwdrivers but had to buy a set of 4 more to work under the sewing machine arm. It was too much of PITA to use the offsets I already owned. At least these cute little guys were only about $4 for 4.
Quote:
I now have about 4 or 5 tool boxes and a few bags with various tools in each. I probably have better odds winning the lottery that guess which box the tool I'm looking for is in. Or, even find that tool box or bag.

I used to have about a dozen Philips screw drivers, and few, if any, slotted ones. Now, all I've got are slotted ones. Have no idea where the Philips ones have gone.

Those stubbies are cool. There's always a time where the long handled ones don't work - and those little guys would. I may have to get me some!
All the tools and gadgets had a place before the move....
Quote:
...I do as much screw work as I possibly can with my cordless drill. Around me slotted drivers are only used to remove screws for replacement with a better style head. Call me lazy.
Tool of choice here even when the directions specifically say Do Not Use a Drill.
Quote:
I hate drapery hangers - most I've dealt with make the top screw of the hanger difficult to screw in - I usually end up stripping the screw as it is set in the wall. It'll never come off without some digging.

The stubby might work if going onto a wall anchor - but if it's going into a stud, it would be difficult to screw in.
Quote:
The first thing you do when you buy retail drapery stuff is throw away the cheap screws that come in the hardware pack and use some with well formed heads made out of decent metal. 1/4" Hex head screws and fixed head driver bit with a 6" shaft makes it pretty simple.

That's 28 years of drapery hanging experience speaking.
Too bad this didn't come up about a month ago. Drapes hung then. One set left to put up.
Quote:
Got any plans for the weekend? Is Monday a holiday in Canada?
Quote:
It's our labour day long weekend. Plans? Monday's rainy outlook will probably be sorting thru junk and getting the house in shape so I can enjoy the last part of summer weather - at least that's the plan.

What's on in your neck of the woods?
Nice weekend. Pretty warm on Monday for here.

Fall means Pumpkin pie! Will have to test out the new oven by baking one.

Quote:

Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 09-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

The puppy of the group must be too sore to move anything but her fingers after that long weekend.

I did a hard hour this morning between 7:30 and 8:30 removing sod from around the final tree. IT really wants to live as it was growing over a mostly solid mass of roots. That 12" diameter maple must have a 4 foot crown. Recycled the sod to bare spots around the yard.

Drapery questions, I'll always try to help.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Considering some days I don't to anything and end up with a really sore shoulder I am doing pretty good in the sore dept.

You can't buy shears rods long enough for the livingroom windows here so using 2 rods laying on curtain rod brackets for the shears at the moment. Went to Walmart and got the 2 rod brackets so those are waiting to be swapped in.

So do you puddle drapes or not Scriptman?

Old 09-05-2019, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Considering some days I don't to anything and end up with a really sore shoulder I am doing pretty good in the sore dept.

You can't buy shears rods long enough for the livingroom windows here so using 2 rods laying on curtain rod brackets for the shears at the moment. Went to Walmart and got the 2 rod brackets so those are waiting to be swapped in.

So do you puddle drapes or not Scriptman?
Just wait a few years and you will be sore every morning.

I'm don't know Canada but here, if you buy the better grade of curtain rods you can buy up to 120" and they are addon extenders that add 29" each. You can also butt 2 smaller rods together and meet them at the exact center point. You just don't return the fabric to wall where they meet in the middle.

Puddles and breaks can add volume to what otherwise might look like a skinny strand of noodle hanging on the side of a window. IMO, they are not a smart option for those with pets or without a housekeeper. A break, think man's pants about an inch to long, accomplishes about the same thing, uses less fabric and is easier to clean around and maintain.

Is LMD AWOL?

Old 09-05-2019, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

HTML - way too much effort to reply to all the points in your post - I needed a triple espresso just to read it.

Quote:

$2.00 per extra bag (allowed 3 containers/bags per pickup). Stick the yellow suckers on the bags so the pickup guys don't leave the bags behind.

Quote:
Is LMD AWOL?
I'm here - just assembling bookcases, installing curtain rods, moving boxes and going thru 20 years of accumulated business stuff - files, cables, plugs, old computers, office supplies and such.

I should be finished sorting and tossing by spring.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

$2.00 per extra bag (allowed 3 containers/bags per pickup). Stick the yellow suckers on the bags so the pickup guys don't leave the bags behind.

I sure would be buying the jumbo bags.

I guess my $9 a month is a pretty good deal. They pretty much take what you put out unless you greatly overdo it for multiple weeks.

Try not to yell at the boss while doing that IKEA stuff.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

That's exactly what I do for the extra bags - make sure they're extra large "contractor" bags so they really are the same size as our containers.

I only use stickers now and then - whenever there's a purge or semi-purge going on.

The first cabinet (about 6.5 feet by 3 feet wide by 2 foot deep) took about an hour and 15 minutes from start to finish. The second one (identical) took about 15 minutes.

Today's my day off (no cleaning, no boxes, no nothing). Just a round of golf, then cut the grass.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

The first cabinet (about 6.5 feet by 3 feet wide by 2 foot deep) took about an hour and 15 minutes from start to finish. The second one (identical) took about 15 minutes.

)
Almost makes you want to apply for a position as an instruction writer doesn't it?

Other than the parts and screw sizing charts I mostly only look at the pictures. I find that much less confusing.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Almost makes you want to apply for a position as an instruction writer doesn't it?

Other than the parts and screw sizing charts I mostly only look at the pictures. I find that much less confusing.
I've seen the guys at Ikea setting up one of their display sections, starring at the instructions as they try to piece-together the units they're trying to assemble. I thought of hanging around to watch the drama unfold, but the boss was moving far out of sight and I'd spend hours trying to find her in the crowd. And whose fault that would be, is a story for another day.

PS - yes, regarding using a power drill/screwdriver to put these units together, I'd never use a manual screwdriver ever again with Ikea (or similar) products. One only has finite layers of skin on our hands before blisters appear.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

How did you golf game go yesterday?

Old 09-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Was great day - sunny and warm. I brought the boss to ride along with me. Her hand is still healing from a fall earlier this year, so she's not actually swinging the club. I took the drives and chips to the green, and she did the putting. Had an early dinner at the clubhouse. Food is pub-grub style - but a bit better than most pubs around here at least.

How are the yard projects coming along? Getting them done?

Old 09-06-2019, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

I suffered the last hour of removing the sod from around the maple. I never dreamed that a 12" tree would have a 4 foot crown. I do understand why the grass that was growing there wasn't the best in the yard thought it does deserve recognition for the effort.

Tomorrow the Queen bee will preen and mulch the area and that is the finish.

I still have the fish pond to clean out. That will be a major joy. But I've put it off for way too many years now so it is time to pay the fiddler.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you could use a day off. I had yesterday off. And today, well, my wonky knee is advising I shouldn't be crawling around the floors on my knees putting furniture together. A few Advils, an ice pack, and a sci-fi movie are in order.

Hey - I did work this morning - a few hours actual business work, that is.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby