Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Share |
Old 03-08-2018, 10:46 AM

My frustrating experience with free and paid directories

I thought I would share some of my experience with trying to get traffic from directories, and I'm curious if others have had better success.

I started my blog about 6 months ago, and the first thing that seemed logical to do regarding backlinks was to submit my site to all the good free directories I could find. I spent several hours submitting my site to ~20 free directories. Some of these directories even required me to give them a link from my site to theirs before they would put me in their directory (which I did). This was ~4 months ago, and as far as I cant tell from Google Search Console, not one of these free directories has even added my link yet.

All of these sites told me it could take weeks or a couple months before they would get to the free submissions, but it's been 4 months and nothing, not even one!

I also paid to be a featured link on one of the higher ranked directories. They added me immediately, but I have not even received one visitor from that link in 4 months.

And reading the threads on these forums, some people seem to think Google considers paid directory links black hat and penalizes you for them. Is that true?

Anyway, so far these directory sites have been a total waste of time and money.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2018, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox View Post

I started my blog about 6 months ago, and the first thing that seemed logical to do regarding backlinks was to submit my site to all the good free directories I could find. I spent several hours submitting my site to ~20 free directories. Some of these directories even required me to give them a link from my site to theirs before they would put me in their directory (which I did). This was ~4 months ago, and as far as I cant tell from Google Search Console, not one of these free directories has even added my link yet.
Not surprised. Some may eventually come around, and others will not. I'd even bet some directories disappear before you see any tale of a backlink.

Quote:
All of these sites told me it could take weeks or a couple months before they would get to the free submissions, but it's been 4 months and nothing, not even one!
Back when directory submission was not such a bad thing, the smart and experienced would just say, "submit and forget about it". If it happens, it happens, if not, big deal.

Quote:
I also paid to be a featured link on one of the higher ranked directories. They added me immediately, but I have not even received one visitor from that link in 4 months.
I feel your pain. Chalk it up to "live and learn".

Quote:
And reading the threads on these forums, some people seem to think Google considers paid directory links black hat and penalizes you for them. Is that true?
For the most part, I'd say no to the "black hat" thing. I just think its' a waste of time, and the talking heads at Google has even said if you are looking for backlink juice, it's a waste of time. If you are looking for some possible traffic, well, then maybe you might get something out of it. But, it really depends on many too many things to go into here.

Me? I say it's all a waste of time when you could be doing more positive things. And in your case, I see it as a waste of time spent on finding and submitting to the free directories, and waste of money spent on paid directories that aren't going to send you "squat".

2 cents.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
For the most part, I'd say no to the "black hat" thing. I just think its' a waste of time, and the talking heads at Google has even said if you are looking for backlink juice, it's a waste of time. If you are looking for some possible traffic, well, then maybe you might get something out of it. But, it really depends on many too many things to go into here.

Me? I say it's all a waste of time when you could be doing more positive things. And in your case, I see it as a waste of time spent on finding and submitting to the free directories, and waste of money spent on paid directories that aren't going to send you "squat".

2 cents.
The thing is, many of these paid directories have good PageRank, Alexa Rank, and Domain Authority. So I assume they get a good bit of traffic, and so you would expect to get at least some traffic from a nice featured link.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
The thing is, many of these paid directories have good PageRank, Alexa Rank, and Domain Authority. So I assume they get a good bit of traffic, and so you would expect to get at least some traffic from a nice featured link.
Firstly, you can't possibly know what a page's PageRank is these days, unless you work for Google. And even when PageRank was visible, the internal listings of most directories were usually less than PR1.

Secondly, DA and PA metrics are not part of any SE's algorithm.

Lastly, if I was really, really (really) keen on it, traffic is the only reason I'd even consider doing the directory listing thing. However, once I've done my "due diligence", I bet I'd find only a few sites I'd be interested in listing my site pages in.

2 cents.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

Well this web directory link building thing was dead since many years ago, people use to visit web directories in early 2000 because the entire web was not like how is today. Right now you can go to google and find anything in 2 seconds, back in the days it wasn't like this so web directories was a good source to find sites sorted by categories and so on. Today maybe some paid directories will work but it will "maybe" boost a little the positions but don't expect any traffic because like I already said... people today use search engines not web directories.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues