Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 03-05-2011, 06:27 AM
v7n Mentor

Now I'm a successful SEO Consultant. What Next?

Just over a year a go I decided to quit my job (software/website developer) and start my own SEO business.

I could have chosen many markets to work in, and the reason for SEO seemed simple and obvious at the time.

I'd been dabbling in SEO for quite a few years, and understood that it helped our clients. The problem was that my employer did not understand it enough that they would take it seriously. They would miss-direct client with fancy graphics and not focus on the true goals.

I saw that it's not the website that's important but the results. Be that sales, leads, donations or creating awareness. Selling results is a great idea, but many website developers don't realise or focus in it. I had to move on!

I felt this was a major gap in the market, I was passionate about it, and I had skills that would introduce some new angles to how its done. So that's why I chose it.

So, over a year ago I decided to start my own business and keep it focused on SEO. I've change the term now, I tend to say website promotion or online marketing.

I'm happy to say I've been very successful. So much so that I'm fully booked and I can't take on any more clients!

And that's the reason for this post. How does one progress?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 08:13 AM

Congratulations on your success!

If you plan to expand your business, just hire some trusted freelancers and multiply your earning. You can outsource almost all things you are going online and there is many people that are willing to do those things.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:02 AM

Perhaps you do not charge enough for your services......

The change from "SEO" is a good move, the average person (offliner) has no idea what that entails or is intended to do.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:31 PM
v7n Mentor

I want to go more in the direction that Jim suggested. As my clients rotate I will increase my earnings and reduce the pressure to have so many. It would then leave me room to work on other projects that are more passive income based.

I have considered sub-contracting but I feel its a big step that would have its risks. Cost, quality, administration work.

At the moment I am referring new leads to some local firms which I have had contact with.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:55 AM

I know it is very hard to trust other people but if you could somehow minimise your workload and pass on the more menial jobs to other people then it would open your schedule up a lot more. For example if you write - get a trusted someone else to do this and then proofread what they do. This will cut your time down a lot. You do need to find someone you can trust though - I have a few people working for me but it has taken months to get the trust there...

Old 03-06-2011, 07:01 PM

I agree with it, but it's part of business. Every businessman and enterprise face this initial problem...

Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 PM

Outsourcing is accompanied with risk but it will save you a lot of time. John Jonas can prove you that. It depends on your capability to manage employees offshore.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum