Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 09-08-2011, 05:48 AM
v7n Mentor

Exchanging homepage links - still good for SEO?

I used to saw homepage links with sites I thought were high quality many years ago. Recently I got an email from a site that appears to be pretty good so if homepage link exchange is still worthwhile I'm going to go for it.

If, however, homepage link exchange is no longer very useful please reply here and explain if you can.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Banned

I am not very clear with your question dear!
If you are talking about getting backlink on homepage of a site then yes it is obviously good as mostly users do visit the homepage of a site they are surfing so you'll get benefit from this.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:10 AM

As far as I know, link exchange came to be false in sight of most of the popular search engines like Google.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:19 PM
v7n Mentor

I mean I would never do or consider a normal link exchange where my link goes on some page with a bunch of other links. But the homepage link exchange might still be worth a little since the homepage presumably carries more weight than other pages. But it sounds like there no real consensus here.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I have never ever did a link exchange with another website even though i tend to get a few emails each month asking to do one. I just delete the email without replying.

Instead, i'd submit to a good web directory with no linkback required. Exchanging links with another website is risky business. That one website owner could remove your link after 2 weeks or move it to another spot on there website which get's less traffic without your knowledge. (You'd have to check there website a lot to make sure they did not mess with your link without contacting you first)

Old 09-11-2011, 01:13 AM
Contributing Member

This happens most often that people change the link location, even change the page. People offering link exchange might scam too. I got an email from a website owner whose website domain name was only 7 days old and had PR5. I then noticed that he had used an illegal method to get rankings. His site was suspended the very next day.

It is important to know where the links will be placed. I always consider free directory sites offering regular link submissions without reciprocal.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:17 AM
Contributing Member

Yes we can do link exchange on homepage with niche and high pr sites.
But its much benefit if we do 3 way link exchange.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:33 AM
Contributing Member

hi,
link exchange is not good for SEO because Search Engine can easily identify this link exchange techniques between the websites, and removing the impact it would have had in the past.
also you can't control the "anchor text" or "link text" back to your website once you exchanged.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 AM
Banned

I think if you are getting a backlink from the niche & high pr site then it will considered as a quality backlink which helps a lot for getting good SERP & pr

Old 09-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Exchanging links is a waste of time. What is wrong with just getting backlinks like the rest of us? Take my advice. Write articles and blog entries on your own site. Go to other directories and submit links. This all works. It has worked for years.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:21 AM
Banned

Why don't you consider free directory sites. They offer regular link exchanges without asking your to reciprocate. Link exchange can be risky if you are not aware of those with whom you are exchanging your links.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Trotta View Post
I used to saw homepage links with sites I thought were high quality many years ago. Recently I got an email from a site that appears to be pretty good so if homepage link exchange is still worthwhile I'm going to go for it.

If, however, homepage link exchange is no longer very useful please reply here and explain if you can.
Well, a link from homepage is normally more valuable than a link from any other page of the site.
However, Google can tell if your backlink is reciprocal or not and places less value on reciprocal links.
So, link exchange still works but is less effective nowadays.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:29 AM
Contributing Member

well.. i checked the age rank on the main page for this fourm.. its a 5.

and this page we are typing on is 0 page rank.

so it sounds like it would be a good idea to have a link on another persons home page.. as long as its a do follow link (a normal link)

Old 09-17-2011, 10:25 AM
v7n Mentor

A few people have said to try a directory instead but I'm not looking for alternatives. It's not like this one potential homepage link exchange thing will be the only link I ever get.

I hear one person saying it's too much work to check up on, a few people saying homepage links are good but this is mitigated by reciprocation, and a few people saying all reciprocal links are bad including the homepage variety.

Maybe this one time I'll take Google's advice and say fork the search engines - just link the way you would if they ddin't exist. I want the homepage link to see if it brings me any traffic.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Exchanging links might not work very well for SEO as Google should be able to handle that trick. What makes your SEO score high is when you get a one way link, which in other words, people linking to you. I can't say exchange link is useless because you might not win in the SEO wars, but might still be able to get some referral traffic there.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:54 PM

I don't see no harm in exchanging links from sites who have content relevant to yours. For example if you are a lawyer and have a law firm in a particular area, you can ave some text on one of your pages like references from another law firm. Similarly the second person can do the same for your site. But over doing it can really damage rather than benefit you.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum