Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 01-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Whats The Best Way To Earn Revenue From Your Forum

Here is some stuff to think about for all the forum admins out there and perhaps so to be forum admin's.

What's the best way to go about earning revenue from your forum?
  • Premium membership - You better have some cool perks to make people pay for this
  • Selling banner/text ads.
  • etc...

Would you say putting ads on a brand new forum a bad idea? Yes or No, still backup your response on this.

Let's say you mention using adsense is a good way to earn money. What locations are the best to add an adsense ad in? Do you have less ads for logged in members?

We all know that if a forum does not have an active user base or a lot of search engine traffic that the chances or earning money from let's say adsense is going to be pretty bad. (Don't forget that some people have ad blindness)

Please share your thoughts on the best way to go about earning revenue from your forum. When forums grow large if you plan to grow it large, hosting isn't cheap if you have to get a dedicated server so you need to have a steady revenue source coming in somehow to cover the costs of running a high traffic forum.

You can't always count on adsense to be your bread winner so have a backup plan in action to pay for the forums daily operations.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Premium membership - You better have some cool perks to make people pay for this
When you say this can you share some cool perks...?

Like I have

A VIP or a Premium Member has the following benifits
  1. 4 Links in Signatures Normal member has 2
  2. Quicker access to start adding links to posts..and signature
  3. Access to the Private Sale Thread which is only available for registered members
  4. Can change username 2 times a year
Although VIP members are still penalized for spamming even this does not attract a lot of members...

What are your cool perk?

Old 03-17-2012, 12:17 PM

Example of a premium membership is our v7n competitor. lol

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/payments.php

If you can't see the content on that page, i'll do a screenshot. I'm logged in currently.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Example of a premium membership is our v7n competitor. lol
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/payments.php
If you can't see the content on that page, i'll do a screenshot. I'm logged in currently.
Im a member there...too.. i know...they had some products of their own..which they also offer as the cool peaks...

and then they have those Sales thread on top and features...their membership is way too costly...

Old 03-17-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzforum View Post
Im a member there...too.. i know...they had some products of their own..which they also offer as the cool peaks...

and then they have those Sales thread on top and features...their membership is way too costly...
The price is up to the owner of the forum. Shawn has coded all those features himself so he knows how much time it took to create them and also maintain them. Worth the price.

You can see, there are ways to get people to upgrade there membership. Just think of certain features that you would pay for if you joined a popular forum. On v7n, we have certain features member can't access till they reach a certain post count. Just imagine if we made those a paid feature. People on a large active forum would want those extra features because it will benifit them when they are posting.

I gotta run for a little bit. I hope someone else can join in on this discussion.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Forums such as webhostingtalk.com allow you to rent a sticky slot for $100/week on each of there selling sections with a maximum of 4 at a time running per category.

Displaying ads to logged out users will give them a reason to sign up. I don't really like ad's placed in stupid random locations like mid post. I think these are often mistakenly clicked. Image ads grab attention so placing these in a suitable position should work IMO. I have never really gotten why anyone would use of the SERP looking ads outside Google.

Also if you have any inactive members sending them a little remember you are there could bring them back to your forum possibly generating you any income you may be losing.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostSurfUK View Post
Forums such as webhostingtalk.com allow you to rent a sticky slot for $100/week on each of there selling sections with a maximum of 4 at a time running per category.
This is a Good Idea... Will surely try this...Any more suggestions??

Old 03-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

One thing that always works great is a donation button

PS: Sponsorships can be huge payouts if you have the right industry covered.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:22 PM
v7n Mentor

So which banner ads are people suggesting for forums?

Also, whatever happened to those ad networks like Digital Point's link coop? I used to make some money by renting out those links...

Basically, I have an active forum with 188000 + posts | Total topics 6800+ topics | 1500+ members. But no income.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Trotta View Post
So which banner ads are people suggesting for forums?

Also, whatever happened to those ad networks like Digital Point's link coop? I used to make some money by renting out those links...

Basically, I have an active forum with 188000 + posts | Total topics 6800+ topics | 1500+ members. But no income.
DP forum his there own ad network. DigitalPoint Ads I believe it is called. Never used it at all though.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Ads are probably best if you are starting out. You won't have the loyal members by then yet. Once you are established with a huge fan base, you can definitely make some big money with a membership subscription.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 PM

Well money can be earn by allowing cheap premium membership to the forums, you can switch your forums to Google Adsense and through that you can earn money also.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Adsense probably not the best option for forums. However its always a trial and error process.

Besides banner/text ads here are few more options:
sticky threads
announcements
tweets
feed

Old 04-19-2012, 08:06 AM

I've always found ads perform really badly on forums. One site I have makes a few thousand in AdSense on the main part of the site while the forums made virtually nothing when we had them.

How about trying well-placed affiliate (resource?) links that relate to the topic of the forums?

Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Banned

Premium membership + Adsense both are the best ways of earning. Affiliate ads can too be very constructive

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management