Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 07-15-2017, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Does age of domain have any impact on SEO?

I am running my blog for almost two years and there is not any improvement in organic traffic. I am thinking of quitting blogging as I don't have enough time for writing new posts. Does age of domain have any impact on SEO? If do then I will renew my domain and write posts when I am free. What do you guys think?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-15-2017, 09:58 AM

The age has little effect. From what I can tell Google does not like to send new domains to the top too quickly as this can suggest spammy high volume/frequency artificial link building.

On a domain that's not performing, the age will have little impact in my opinion.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngTal View Post
Google does not like to send new domains to the top too quickly.
What is the time frame for new? Will it require more than two years to come out of it?

Old 07-15-2017, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

as per my personal experience
old domains ranking well
my domain after completing 2 Years of age, ranking very well means old posts serp changes to first page.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Age of domain has nothing to do with rankings. You can rank a brand new domain just as easy. With that said the time your pages/content has been indexed does matter. It's not the age of the domain but the age of the "INDEXED" pages.

I just released a brand new domain 4 days ago. It already outranks 4 year old domains for their own keywords. Before you ask - NO I DID NOT "BUILD BACKLINKS" AND SPAM UP THE WEB.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman View Post
I am running my blog for almost two years and there is not any improvement in organic traffic. I am thinking of quitting blogging as I don't have enough time for writing new posts. Does age of domain have any impact on SEO? If do then I will renew my domain and write posts when I am free. What do you guys think?
Domain age as a ranking factor is a myth:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
This myth/misinformation about the domain registration length has been around for ages.
Quote:
...John Mueller responds on Twitter about Matt Cutts saying they didn't and don't use this as a ranking factor saying that domain name registrars don't always share this information publicly, so they don't always know to use this as a ranking signal...
Quote:
AFAIK most registrars don't provide registration length anyway. That's not what you want to spend your "SEO time" on.
https://twitter.com/JohnMu/status/79...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Google: Domain Registration Length Not An SEO Factor
Nov 7, 2016 Search Engine Roundtable
Myth Busting and Correcting Misinformation - Right from Google Employees

That being said, older domains do have the opportunity obviously to gain more organic incoming links.

Perhaps you need to review your existing content so it is search engine friendly (ranked naturally in the SERPs) and provides the readers with information that they want to share (natural incoming links).

Old 07-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

In general, webmasters agree that domain age is not a strong ranking factor but different opinions:
It may not have any element at all;
It can only play a small factor in millions of other factors (but it still is);
Domain age won’t of course hurt but it will hardly help.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

Older domains do tend to rank better, although I'm not sure how domain age is used to calculate ranks. Having said that, I think 2 years is really good domain age to rank well for your target keywords. In fact, you should have started seeing traffic after 3-4 months itself. If you're not seeing any improvement, then I would look at on-page optimization, and get a few backlinks from quality sites that are relevant to my website.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:55 PM
Contributing Member

How many old domains do you have ? I have some that are 12+ years old and I have brand new ones that can outrank the old ones. Do some testing before giving advice please.

If you are not showing traffic in 1 week then there is a problem, not 3 - 4 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree31 View Post
Older domains do tend to rank better, although I'm not sure how domain age is used to calculate ranks. Having said that, I think 2 years is really good domain age to rank well for your target keywords. In fact, you should have started seeing traffic after 3-4 months itself. If you're not seeing any improvement, then I would look at on-page optimization, and get a few backlinks from quality sites that are relevant to my website.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:44 AM
Contributing Member

Don't quit your blog my friend. Create one post every month if you don't have so much time. I ve seen your older posts and I'd suggest making them richer in content. They are too short compared to others out there.
You've gained some trust from Google, I'm sure, and you don't want all this effort you've put go wasted.
The age of your domain wont give you rankings, but the number of visitors you ve had so far is a plus and you can use it to be more popular in the future with your new material.
If your new posts are larger and of good quality, your older ones will gain trust and more visits as well.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
It is about domain registration length. My concern is about domain age.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

I will recommend you to read once this all list of ranking factors. A survey conducted by MOZ, This is far most trusted ranking factors I have seen.
You will learn alot from this resource

https://moz.com/search-ranking-factors

Old 07-16-2017, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It is about domain registration length. My concern is about domain age.
Further to the quote from John Mueller referenced above,
Quote:
Google's John Mueller responded with a resounding "no" when he was asked if domain age matters for ranking in Google's search results. John responded on Twitter to the question by simply saying "no" and adding no more detail.
Google: Domain Age Doesn't Matter For Search Rankings
Apr 13, 2017

From Backlinko's Google’s 200 Ranking Factors: The Complete List
Quote:
Domain Age: In this video, Matt Cutts states that:

“The difference between a domain that’s six months old versus one year old is really not that big at all.”

In other words, they do use domain age…but it’s not very important.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Administrator

This thread has been cleaned up, removing replies that obviously did not read the whole thread before replying.

If you do not read the whole thread before replying or do not give candyman some useful or encouraging help your reply will be removed. Here's the original question again:
Quote:

Old 07-18-2017, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

You do realize MOZ has nothing to do with search engines rankings, right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourabh Rana View Post
I will recommend you to read once this all list of ranking factors. A survey conducted by MOZ, This is far most trusted ranking factors I have seen.
You will learn alot from this resource

https://moz.com/search-ranking-factors

Old 07-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagebag View Post
...testing and experience by SEO professionals paints a pretty clear picture that an older domain age competes for rankings a bit better.
If you wouldn't mind, please let us know who these "SEO professionals" are, and supply a link to their data which validates your statement as true.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonmoore View Post
Domain age is the additional factor that helps in getting higher domain ranking on Google. Google give more priority to old domains. It doesnít mean that a new domain canít beat the old domain, if you have new site with good content and follow all SERP guidelines then definitely old age doesnít matter much.
According to your opinion, the organic traffic of my site should have increased over these years. But it never happened!

Old 07-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Please provide proof of your claim. Google does not have any factor for domain age. They do have a factor for how long a domains pages have been indexed but these are 2 totally different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonmoore View Post
Domain age is the additional factor that helps in getting higher domain ranking on Google. Google give more priority to old domains. It doesnít mean that a new domain canít beat the old domain, if you have new site with good content and follow all SERP guidelines then definitely old age doesnít matter much.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

I think, domain age does not have any impact on SEO. If there was any impact, then people will not buy new domain. They always look for aged domains.

Today we still looking for aged domains but domain with good metrics so that we can redirect it to our money site.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:47 PM
Banned

Yes, now domain age have an impact on SEO as websites with old domain ages are now ranking well. If your domain age is old your domain authority would be high too.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum