Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 08-09-2012, 10:02 AM
No Longer Active

Thumbs down Boy Scouts Of America Controversy

Quote:
The Boy Scouts of America (BSA), one of the largest private youth organizations in the United States, has policies which prohibit atheists and agnostics from membership in its Scouting program, and prohibit "open or avowed" homosexual people from leadership roles in its Scouting program as directly violating its fundamental principles and tenets. BSA has denied or revoked membership status or leadership positions of youths and adults for violation of these foundational principles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Sco..._controversies
What happens when a private organization's rights and the rights of individuals collide? Should an organization be forced by law to accept members or leaders that violate their principles? What if a private organization only allowed white members, would that be tolerated? Where is the line?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

I am glad you posted this thread. I intended to do something similar and just never got round to it.

My personal belief is that private organizations should be allowed to restrict their membership in any way they wish to do so and I include race in that statement. By the same token I would never join a private organization that used race as a standard because that is contrary to my personal beliefs.

I mean we have a Black Miss America pageant don't we?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hate to say this but I agree with Scripty on this. If it is a private organisation then you should be free to run it as you wish. That said, I doubt it would do too well if it had some rather unethical policies in place (unless it was called the kkk or something)

The again, from an outsiders perpective, the USA seems like it is bending over so hard to show that it accepts everyone, that it almost looks like it is racist towards whites.

Miss Black America
The MOBO's
Black Month (or whatever it is called)
Magazines in shops just geared for black people
(We could carry on adding to this list here)

Now imagine if we turned all those things full circle and they were only for whites... Boy, the fallout from that disaster would be something else.

Ok, now you probably think I have gone so far off topic here, but actually I haven't. My point is this, If you accept all the things listed above as normal and don't bat an eyelid, then why should we make a scene out of what other private organisations do?

Old 08-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

What do you mean? You hate to agree with me? The check is in the post; check your box.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Boy Scouts of America (BSA)

... of America

they need to change their name - they imply what they are against.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 AM

Private organization......should mean just that....

An individual joins an organization because of what it has to offer or avoid...
Many of the private clubs offer cold beer for $2 a bottle..the bars charge $3.50...(duh)

The US is and has gone overboard on PC......

Oh...re: magazines...we have magazines for most every special interest imaginable....
fishing....hunting...cooking...perverts.....:mrgre en:

And there are organizations in this country for "only whites"...but most of those just hate everybody...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues