Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 08-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

Is this finally the economic collapse?

Quote:
The Great Depression. Wall Street in 1987. Japan in 1997. Points of economic collapse are generally crystal clear in the rear-view mirror. Professional politicians in Japan have been telling stories for 20 years as to why they can prevent economic stagnation. In the US, the storytelling started in 2007. All the while, stock market and real-estate prices have repeatedly rallied to lower-highs, then collapsed again, to lower-lows.

Despite the many differences between Japan and the US, there is one similarity that continues to matter most in the risk management model my colleagues and I use at Hedgeye, our research firm -- debt as a percentage of GDP. Now that the US can't cut interest rates any lower, the only option left on the table is what the Fed just announced it would start doing -- buying Treasury debt. And that could lead the country to the brink of collapse: According to economists Carmen Reinhart & Ken Rogoff, whose views we share, crossing the 90% debt/GDP threshold is the equivalent of crossing the proverbial Rubicon of economic growth. It's a point from which it's almost impossible to return.
http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/11/news...tune/index.htm

What are your thoughts?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Recession, depression or reset, it's all the same. I wouldn't compare it to the Great Depression but rather the "Dot Com Bubble." Every now and then it's time to realize that products, social programs & employee contribution are being reset. This is the only true way to reset and stay competitive..

Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEOMom View Post
Recession, depression or reset, it's all the same. I wouldn't compare it to the Great Depression but rather the "Dot Com Bubble." Every now and then it's time to realize that products, social programs & employee contribution are being reset. This is the only true way to reset and stay competitive..
Excuse me?
Sorry Mom, but this is no dot com bubble.

I'm not sure yet that it is a 'great depression' ...
half of economists still think we may avoid a second dip.
However; that also means half of economists think we will
have a second dip.

A question: who are we resetting to stay competitive with?
The Chinese who make $.60 an hour?

If that's where we are headed ... this IS a great depression.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:39 AM
v7n Mentor

Natural elements, I agree with your observations completely. The Fed needs to stop the funny money and a new plan needs to be executed. I think the following. First the government needs to be
shrunk big time. Like cut defense by 2/3rds, get rid of useless agencies. Invest, invest, invest in new industry and small business in this country, create jobs, balance taxes to drive down debt, pay as we go & get the budget back in balance. Elect new politicians who work for the people, not lobbyists, parties, or special interests.
Only the people can force change in Washington and if the message is not sent in November, then we will be bankrupt, pure and simple.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:48 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Mom,
Your kids will be the victims of this "reset". What needs to be
RESET is the government. We need representatives who will pull us out of this "tailspin" and work for the people. We need to stop job loss, home loss, the people need help here pure and simple...not RESET!!!

Old 08-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonshire View Post
Natural elements, I agree with your observations completely.
Devonshire, that's not my own observations, I shared an article I read through this thread, just to clarify

Old 08-14-2010, 03:50 PM
v7n Mentor

Thanks for clarifying...I do agree with the article.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues