Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 08-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Why entrepreneurs need Net neutrality

Quote:
I've written a bit about Net neutrality on my blog in the past few years. Every time I do, I hear about problems with regulating the Internet. The readers of my blog are a fairly "laissez faire" bunch. Guess what? So am I.

Somehow Net neutrality got painted as "regulating the Internet" when it is really all about not regulating the Internet. Net neutrality is about keeping the way the Internet works today: an open Internet where innovation is allowed and freedom reigns.

In the past 10 years, the on ramp to the Internet has changed. Hundreds, maybe thousands, of dial-up providers have been replaced in the U.S. by a handful of broadband providers with local duopolies. We now have a wireless Internet in the U.S. with an on ramp controlled largely by four carriers (two of which have the dominant market share). And these access providers have invested heavily in packet detection systems that will allow them to use their dominant positions to "manage their networks."

So now we have a situation where the access providers want to change the game. And they are seeking the regulatory approval to do just that.

Venture backed startups and venture capitalists don't use regulations and lobbying as competitive advantages. We don't have armies of lobbyists. We don't have congress on our payroll.

But the access providers certainly do. They have been regulated for a long time. They know how the game is played and they use it to their advantage. Regulation is their game. They want our government to regulate the Internet and they want those regulations written in a way that allows them to do what they want to do. A regulated Internet is a comforting thought to the access providers and a frightening thought to entrepreneurs and the ecosystem around them.
http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/13/tech...tups/index.htm

Do you think that net neutrality still exist or will exist in the future?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 07:47 PM
v7n Mentor

I'm not sure we have ever had net neutrality.
It has always been a tired structure as far as I can tell.
The best defence I can see to a tired structure is a bigger and bigger cache.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

After reading the CNN article, I really don't think the headline fits the column. I feel that net neutrality should more be geared towards content and not how it is delivered.

Don't get me wrong, I am no fan of government regulation, but nor am I of letting a few big players tell me what they will provide me. Quite the catch-22

Old 08-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

The idea of these players is to build their monopoly on the back of others.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues