Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

Share |
Old 04-08-2018, 07:26 AM
Administrator

GDPR Legislation

Have you prepared for GDPR yet?

Quote:
...So, how does this affect American businesses?

Recognizing that data can travel well beyond the borders of the EU, GDPR provides protection to EU citizens no matter where their data travels. This means that any company, anywhere, that has a database that includes EU citizens is bound by its rules. Businesses of all sizes are affected — from micro to multinational. No one is exempt.

In order to comply, American companies can either block EU users altogether (an impossible choice for a multinational brand) or have processes in place to ensure compliance....
MarTech Today’s Guide to GDPR — The General Data Protection Regulation
Quote:
...GDPR is an EU (European Union) law, but its implications are far-reaching. Since it covers EU citizens’ data no matter where it travels and the transfer of this data to other jurisdictions, global US companies must also comply...
Preparing for GDPR: How to signal your intent to comply
Quote:
There are still things you can do before the May 25 deadline to be more prepared for the European legislation....

...Determine if the GDPR applies to you.
The short answer is that it probably does. Most large companies are bound to have some European customers. It gets trickier for smaller businesses and enterprises, and misconceptions abound, but any business that has even one European citizen, regardless of where they reside, in its database is expected to comply.
9 steps you can take now to get prepared for GDPR

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2018, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

not complying not blocking, I will never bow to the EU or the UN, lets see them enforce it on an americans. Especially small american companies. Obviously they only intend to be able to enforce this on global companies within their reach they can afflict.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:24 PM
Administrator

How GDPR Impacts Marketers

Some information on GDPR from Social Media Examiner for marketers:
Quote:
...plain-language overview of GDPR, how it could impact your data collection, and what you need to do to make sure you’re compliant before May 25, 2018...
How GDPR Impacts Marketers: What You Need to Know

Old 05-01-2018, 06:48 AM
Administrator

GDPR and the marketer's dilemma

Seth Godin's post on the GDPR:
Quote:
On the twentieth anniversary of Permission Marketing, the EU has decided to write the basic principles of that book into law.

There are two ways to look at this.

1.Lawyers and yield-maximizers can find ways to use fine print and digital maneuvers to get the same sort of low-grade tolerance and low-impact marketing they've always gotten. Industrialise interactions! The marketing machine at their organization has an insatiable appetite for attention, for data and for clicks, and they will skirt the edges to get more than their fair share.

2.Realize that the GDPR is a net positive for people with something to say, something to sell or something to change. Because the noise will go down and trust will go up. Embrace this insight and you can avoid the hit and run low-yield spam that marketers have backed themselves into.
Continued: GDPR and the marketer's dilemma

Quote:
Permission Marketing

Permission marketing is the privilege (not the right) of delivering anticipated, personal and relevant messages to people who actually want to get them.

It recognizes the new power of the best consumers to ignore marketing. It realizes that treating people with respect is the best way to earn their attention.
Continued: Permission Marketing

Old 05-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Internet Attorney on GDPR Compliance for Ecommerce

Practical Ecommerce has a podcast (and transcription) of an interview with internet lawyer John Di Giacomo.

Internet Attorney on GDPR Compliance for Ecommerce

Old 05-20-2018, 12:54 PM
Administrator

The Quiet Death of WHOIS

From Plagiarism Today:
Quote:
...thanks to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDRP), a new European regulation that restricts how companies and organizations can collect and share personal data, the WHOIS system faces an uncertain future.

What this means for the internet is unclear, but it will definitely have an impact on how individuals track and find the internet’s villains, including spammers, hackers, pirates and other infringers...
The Quiet Death of WHOIS
Jonathan Bailey - May 17, 2018

For those who do not know Jonathan Bailey and/or Plagiarism Today it is a website about "content theft, copyright infringement and plagiarism issues on the Web."

Old 05-22-2018, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

One big headache for larger EU websites I do believe, although i've had tonnes of emails saying "we've updated out policy" or "terms and conditions".

Old 07-04-2018, 08:17 AM

That think is everywere, now i have to close a window with information about GPDR on almost evewery website i open.
Once I headed back to home, and I "came across" a GPDR notice to all members of housing Association - it was sticked to my door.

I'm afraid that one day I willl open a fridge, and a GPDR notice will pop up right in front of my face.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues