Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

Share |
Old 02-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Google Wallet is Easy to Hack and Exploit

I don't have a Google Wallet Account and sorta happy that i don't after reading this. Of course, you'd have to kill me to get a hold of my phone.

Quote:
Google Wallet, which initially launched in September of 2011, has decided to temporarily suspend its provisioning of prepaid cards as a result of two newly discovered security vulnerabilities. Recently, a security research team uncovered a potential threat to the overall security of the Google Wallet. The initial issue, which revealed that a brute-force attack could reveal a Google Wallet user’s pin, was discovered by researchers at the security firm Zvelo Labs.

While the first vulnerability could theoretically place Google Wallet users at substantial risk, it is not an easy security hole to exploit. In order for the hacker to make payments using a stolen account, they would have to physically possess (steal) the user’s phone, install the Cracker app, and install a piece of malware to disable the phone’s security system. Even after all of these steps are completed, the hacker will not....
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/g...ilities/40128/

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

If everyone's financial information is contained in their cell phones than I imagine there would be a rush on getting other people's phones. Security is still not stringent enough for many to enter this type of market with their most precious resource.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:49 PM

I can get the app for my bank if i wanted to do banking stuff from my phone but i choose not to get the app. What was mentioned in this blog post is why i don't do banking from my phone and never will.

My laptop is very safe and also no one will attempt to break into my apartment.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Just as a side note, the last time my CC went around the world without me was when a national carpet cleaning company processed my card via their wireless processor over a cell phone connection.

The next day I was being declined in the local Lowes because my card was in Turkey buying something.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:35 PM

That really stinks Sman.

I forgot to post this in this thread but it seems Google has fixed the issue.

Quote:
Google officially announced that it has “restored the ability to issue new prepaid cards to the Wallet.” Additionally, the company “issued a fix that prevents an existing prepaid card from being re-provisioned to another user.”

These improvements in the update above come hot on the heels of exploits discovered recently related to Google Wallet. The easiest among them was to clear the app’s data under settings; once done, the application was asking for a new PIN but Google prepaid card information was remembered.
Continued at: http://mashable.com/2012/02/15/googl...llet-security/

Check out the video also. I'm just not convinced all security holes are fixed. (Maybe i should move the thread to the Google is evil thread)

Old 02-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, the info is not quite optimistic, that's for sure. Especially for technology-driven Google geeks.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 AM

Glad to know Google fixed the issue so quickly

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues