Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

Share |
Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 AM

Question about images of products

Now this is something I've been trying to find an answer to but haven't really had any luck with. Sites like amazon that contain reviews have images of all the products that are being reviewed. Does anyone know how they legally use those images? Is it copyright infringement to post product images to your site?

I'm not quite sure what you are able to do with images of products like guitars, electronic, games, etc. Do you need permission from the person who took the images, the people who make the product, do you need permission at all?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

In both copyright law and trademark law there is a concept called "fair use" which applies to sites which use another's intellectual property for the purpose of commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, etc.

However, if you are using the screenshots to drive visitors to your web site to make money from their visit, that is not permissable. Further, fair use is an affirmative defense. In other words, you may raise it if you are sued. Unfortunately, the cost of a law suit could be very expensive.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:15 PM

Thank you very much for your response. I wouldn't be using the images for anything other than informative purposes.

I was thinking it would fall under fair use but wasn't sure. And in most cases I'm sure the manufacturers of the products would like them on my site.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Before you go and grab those images, you need to understand that those images are separate from the products they display. The photos themselves have copyrights. So unless you are doing a commentary or reporting on those images, you can't use them under fair use. If you want images of products I suggest you you either take them yourself or visit the products website. Many times they will have a PR package with images.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealrm View Post
Before you go and grab those images, you need to understand that those images are separate from the products they display. The photos themselves have copyrights. So unless you are doing a commentary or reporting on those images, you can't use them under fair use. If you want images of products I suggest you you either take them yourself or visit the products website. Many times they will have a PR package with images.
Ok I was wondering about the ownership of the actual images.Thanks for that information. This website is already helping me out quite a bit.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 PM

Image product is sale mostly because it is best way to sale any product.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:15 AM
Contributing Member

and what if the images are real pics of the products these websites are selling?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues