Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 05-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameJunky View Post
You should move the inline adsense ad down a little so that it closer to the games. That will make it look more liek links for your website.

Also, that it the only ad you have on there. You should add some more Adsense banners, or sell ad space on the website. You should have no problem making $1.00 a day if you use more ads, or sell ad space.

Good luck to you!
I agree with NameJunky.
The only ad I see on your site is in the header - possibly the worst location for ad revenue.

Place a 468X15 text link below the header - looks similar to navigation links.

Then a 468X60 banner or a 336X280 Square ad at the beginning or between the first and second set of game links, with another 336X280 Square ad at the bottom of the page.

With 1000 uniques per week you should be making over $20.00 each week.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delstu View Post
I agree with NameJunky.
The only ad I see on your site is in the header - possibly the worst location for ad revenue.

Then a 468X60 banner or a 336X280 Square ad at the beginning or between the first and second set of game links, with another 336X280 Square ad at the bottom of the page.

How about now? I wish I could make $20/week...lol. Then I would even MAKE money on the site.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Oh and by the way, I made $0.61 yesterday with four clicks after the changes, and already $0.09 today with two clicks. Looks like they are at least clicking ads now. And my overall eCPM is $0.50

Last edited by homebrewpcgaming; 05-25-2008 at 10:44 AM.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Go to https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal and research pc games to get bid values for keywords. The show/hide columns button has a dropdown menu - click Show CPC. It shows amount advertisers are willing to pay for clicks.

Then write a paragraph or two using keywords where bids are over $1.00. Do this using a different keyword for each page on your site. Should result in better click values for you.

Earnings vary by click values and placement of ads. Have you seen the eye tracking studies? You will find one on Nielsen's website.
http://www.useit.com/eyetracking/
Try to place your ads in the hotspots.

The eye tracking study shows few even look at the headers - visitors expect to see ADS there. I would try eliminating the ad in your header. See if that improves your clickthru ratio. Try text only ads. It does not cost anything to test on your website.

None of the keywords I see on Googles Keyword Tool have very high CPC, so you may need more traffic to earn $20.00 per week, but not by that much.

Experiment, add some textual content to your pages, write a few articles for your site, reviews, tips...

Old 05-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Tried to edit my previous post but it did not work.

Eye Tracking studies show visitors look across the top and down the left. So left align your ads which are not at the top of the page.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I agree with NameJunky.

Very good tips. Also concider that gaming is low paid. I also have a gaming website, it has a lot of clicks but for very low value.
Better make good traffic and PR and then try selling links or add space.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you for linking me to that Google tool. I have an idea for a website I would like to make that would be more profitable, it has high EPC's from $1-$12 with barely any under $1.

Are there any online articles which I can read more about utilizing these keywords to make them appear in my Google Ads where users can click them?

Thanks,
Matthew

Old 05-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewpcgaming View Post
Thank you for linking me to that Google tool. I have an idea for a website I would like to make that would be more profitable, it has high EPC's from $1-$12 with barely any under $1.

Are there any online articles which I can read more about utilizing these keywords to make them appear in my Google Ads where users can click them?

Thanks,
Matthew
I don't recall where, but it gets mentioned in some of the webmaster and/or marketing forums.

Place your ad immediately following a paragraph which utilizes one of these keywords. It may also help to follow the ad with another paragraph utilizing the same keyword. Or you could use the keyword in headline, then the ad, then a paragraph utilizing the keyword.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I don't recall where, but it gets mentioned in some of the webmaster and/or marketing forums.

Place your ad immediately following a paragraph which utilizes one of these keywords. It may also help to follow the ad with another paragraph utilizing the same keyword. Or you could use the keyword in headline, then the ad, then a paragraph utilizing the keyword.
There are tags you can use to isolate keywords in your page, so you can just use those and put them around the keywords that you want your ads to use. Couldn't I just use those??? Instead of putting paragraphs before and after.

EDIT: Here they are:

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

And this one makes AdSense ignore stuff.

<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->

Last edited by homebrewpcgaming; 05-29-2008 at 07:17 AM.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewpcgaming View Post
There are tags you can use to isolate keywords in your page, so you can just use those and put them around the keywords that you want your ads to use. Couldn't I just use those??? Instead of putting paragraphs before and after.

EDIT: Here they are:

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

And this one makes AdSense ignore stuff.

<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->
I have never used those so can't say how it would work. Try it - testing is cheap online.

You could also try just an Hx keyword close to the ad. The important thing is to have the targeted keyword close to the ad.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Go to https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal and research pc games to get bid values for keywords. The show/hide columns button has a dropdown menu - click Show CPC. It shows amount advertisers are willing to pay for clicks.

Then write a paragraph or two using keywords where bids are over $1.00. Do this using a different keyword for each page on your site. Should result in better click values for you.

Earnings vary by click values and placement of ads. Have you seen the eye tracking studies? You will find one on Nielsen's website.
http://www.useit.com/eyetracking/
Try to place your ads in the hotspots.

The eye tracking study shows few even look at the headers - visitors expect to see ADS there. I would try eliminating the ad in your header. See if that improves your clickthru ratio. Try text only ads. It does not cost anything to test on your website.

None of the keywords I see on Googles Keyword Tool have very high CPC, so you may need more traffic to earn $20.00 per week, but not by that much.

Experiment, add some textual content to your pages, write a few articles for your site, reviews, tips...
The problem with AdWords is that it shows no correct estimations for the keyword. I think that Google Trends is better in this. You just enter a keyword you know how many searches a day it has. For example, try with mystery method phrase (without quotes) and type, for example, how to speak japanese. Mystery method has around 600 searches a day so you get the idea. I learned this at last year's Thirty Day Challenge, you can sign up and see their archive.

Oh, I forgot this is also a great tool. WordTracker + Google Trends. Very cool, take a look.

Hope this helped!

Last edited by cldnails; 06-09-2008 at 08:30 AM.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canvas View Post
The problem with AdWords is that it shows no correct estimations for the keyword. I think that Google Trends is better in this. You just enter a keyword you know how many searches a day it has. For example, try with mystery method phrase (without quotes) and type, for example, how to speak japanese. Mystery method has around 600 searches a day so you get the idea. I learned this at last year's Thirty Day Challenge, you can sign up and see their archive.

Oh, I forgot this is also a great tool. WordTracker + Google Trends. Very cool, take a look.

Hope this helped!
homebrewpcgaming originally requested ways to break even with a hobby site. Improving placement of ads and using them near higher paying keywords should accomplish this.

You are right, proper keyword research is important for a money-making website. But there is a lot to learn. Determining visitor behavior, what they are really looking for, etc... Then what to do with the keywords your research finds, sorting and organizing into groups, long-tail keywords, theming of your pages, it all adds up.

You may also find that neither Wordtracker nor Google will reveal some of your best keywords. Discovered this by accident.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
homebrewpcgaming originally requested ways to break even with a hobby site. Improving placement of ads and using them near higher paying keywords should accomplish this.

You are right, proper keyword research is important for a money-making website. But there is a lot to learn. Determining visitor behavior, what they are really looking for, etc... Then what to do with the keywords your research finds, sorting and organizing into groups, long-tail keywords, theming of your pages, it all adds up.

You may also find that neither Wordtracker nor Google will reveal some of your best keywords. Discovered this by accident
I already discovered that "There's no way to know, the only way is to test." That's one of my favorite quotes However, you can discover with Google or Google trends which keyword brings TRAFFIC which I think is very important. NO traffic = NO conversion.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:20 PM

I use a stock exchange of the purchase and sale of references from a site and I earn 3-8 $ from a website in day

Old 06-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canvas View Post
I already discovered that "There's no way to know, the only way is to test." That's one of my favorite quotes However, you can discover with Google or Google trends which keyword brings TRAFFIC which I think is very important. NO traffic = NO conversion.
I understand what you are saying. However some keywords are not found by any sources mentioned in this thread.

Understanding visitor behavior can reveal keywords which will bring traffic that neither Wordtracker nor Google, or any other tool will reveal.

I get a lot of traffic from keywords not found by any program.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue