Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 07-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Administrator

On browser “statistics”

You should really read this whole post. It is very eye opening for those of you who rely on 3rd party stats about your website/blog visitors and have forgotten about those who are not the "cool kids on the block".

Quote:
...Now, as most of the official sources constantly mentioned are companies that make money with selling statistics software it makes you wonder if those numbers could not be doctored to show some cool trends so people want to know if as many cool kids on iPads come to their site or not. Even without my tinfoil hat on I feel that there should be a better way of collecting information from sources closer to the, err, source. You know, like server logs....

...Supporting old browsers is to me a given when you put things on the web. Read my lips: you can not dictate what browser your users should have. If you do that, you hurt the web, you lock yourself in to a monoculture and you build yet another piece of the web that will block innovation in the future. I do not care if your browser of need is IE, Safari, Chrome or Firefox. All should get something that works – no matter how cool a new version of a certain browser is. This thinking gave us all the apps that now only work in IE6....

...Whilst it is obvious that you should cater to the largest part of your visitors you should not see that as a reason not to improve the experience for those who can get more. Using local storage and offline storage in browsers that support it can significantly reduce your traffic. Using CSS3 and responsive design wisely means that you cater for the web and new, cool tablet and mobile devices without changing the experience for IE6 users.

It is no wonder that you won’t see many mobile browsers in your stats when you concentrate on supporting only old browsers and desktop machines. Your stats should be a guideline to remind you that you have a diversified audience, not a blocker meaning that you will never get others....
On browser “statistics” - Christian Heilmann, Yahoo Developer Network

Advertisement

Advertisement

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby