Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 08-24-2011, 04:26 AM
Contributing Member

I haven't touched Joomla (and probably won't), but I've designed custom themes and I currently run websites on both Wordpress and Drupal.

Wordpress wins by far.

I think a lot of people associate it mentally with blogs, but you can create a non-bloggy website with it. I'm working on one right now, actually. No one will be able to tell that it's on wordpress without checking out the code.

The ONLY reason I'd suggest going with Drupal is if you have an obscenely complex website idea. And even then, you're going to need to hire someone to build it for you - there's really no point in improving your Drupal skills to the "dabbling" level.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Try Joomla.

It has a lot of extension's that are easy to add on and do not require coding experience. Just need to be able to read, copy, and paste.

It has a lot of nice features, for more information check it out here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joomla

Old 08-25-2011, 07:41 PM

You can use wordpress for the meantime. There are a lot of themes that you can use to start with your online journey.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJones View Post
What are your suggestions? Let's say I cannot code on my own & do not have enough funds to hire a professional designer. What system would you suggest & why? Please, try to be descriptive & do not repeat yourselves.
I would recomend you Wordpress! it's easy

Old 09-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

You can still not use a CMS and get a lot of traffic. I hard-code my site. It takes about half an hour for every new post. It's no really a big deal. It's best for SEO if you know how to code for SEO.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Wordpress is for elementary web designers / webmasters.
If you need something quick & easy-2-use then WP and Joolma are for you.

If its a serious business, that sells a product/service they are serious about its almost 99.999999999% recommended that you build your website custom to your brand. Your own given one chance for a first-impression.

If you ever wanna be considered a leading-industry company, then you need to be ahead of the game & ready to adopt to changes. I myself like to use static sites or I build custom CMS for my sites if I need alot of info stored in db's (php/mysql).

Go for the CMS, try WP/Joolma, see what you like and when you can upgrade to a more professional custom branded website revolved around the business.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Dan Williamson gave you the answer right from the beginning. Using a CMS for "online store, several calculators/evaluators & a good descriptive base so visitors can choose a style they'd like to use for their room/apartment, check available design options/materials/items & "create" their own room" and expecting that you won't have to write code is foolish. Expecting to set up ANY eCommerce site without writing code is foolish. In short, people who think they can end up with a custom site without writing code are being foolish.

The bottom line is that if you can't write code, and can't afford to pay someone who can - and can't find a free script that does exactly what you want - you're out of luck. While developing a web site may not be brain surgery, it's not tearing up paper either. Anyone can learn enough in a year to code a pretty good site. But an off-the-shelf CMS isn't going to be a very good eCommerce site, and it's not going to allow your user to design his own room.

Wordpress is good for what it does, which is presentation. Joomla is good for what it does, which is making coding easier. Neither one is the answer to creating a custom site without any coding.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby