Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 08-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation How to deal with Wordtracker data?

I just realized it's been a year since I came here. Things have changed and so did people. Some succeeded with their online business and some seem to have given up and left the forums. Even some seem to have gotten babies lately (like Hades/Cris) Congrats and good luck to everybody.

Okay, enough of that, here is the point:

Lately I have created a WordTracker trial account, I am not a big fan of it, and never was, so I am not that much informed when it comes to the meaning of the data it provides. Here is an example:

I am about to start a website about Israel/Hebrew Language/ Jewish History etc. So I brainstormed some keywords through WordTracker and got results like these:

Keyword - Volume - Competition - KEI
israel - 1729 - 70 - 42.6
hebrew alphabet - 353 - 60 - 34.8
aleph - 95 - 60 - 28.6

Now, what does the volume mean? searches per day? Week? Month?

Competition is 70 for a major word like "israel"? A country name only got 70 websites targeting it? Isn't it illogical?

Plus, since the KEI ranges between 1 and 100, isn't it supposed to be bad when it is below 50? I see that most of my keywords are way below 50.

Is it even worth writing content for keywords with volumes like 1 or 2? Do you have some measurement that you use to judge these numbers?

I am an ex-user of SBI. I used to be a happy one. SBI showed me numbers (apparently taken from WordTracker as they said) but the numbers were calculated into monthly average volumes. So for me it made sense to write content about a keyword that got 100 or 200 searches per month, but now that I see numbers in days, I am more suspicious that these words would be any good (2 per day! "Nah!", I thought.).

Phew! That was a long post, not many would read, but I am very thankful for those who will read and respond.

Thank you

Adam

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 06:53 AM

Hi Adam,

I'm Mal, and I work with Wordtracker. Probably the quickest way to give you an overview of our numbers is to direct you to the page /support/numbers on our site (I can't post links...)

However, to give a little more insight - the search volumes are taken from just under 1% of US search for the last 365 days - but that's not to say we have the same proportion of search for every niche or market across that - there may well be larger or smaller proportions of search across different markets in the database.

It can be hard to read numbers from any keyword research tool, as they're all based on samples (including Google's), but in terms of the lower volume keywords you're talking about, it's worth looking at the competition figure - if it's high, then that does suggest that there's a larger market than the search volume may suggest at first look, which is one of the reasons we also provide Google data in a separate tab so that you can make comparisons and from there, make a better informed decision.

A KEI of less than 50 isn't necessarily a terrible thing - if you have an established site which is already ranking well for some terms and has a good link profile, you'll tend to do better with more competitive terms than if you're starting from scratch. Remember that KEI is based on the relationship between volume and competition, so it's not meant as a 'target/ don't target' guide - more as another piece of data to help inform your decisions.

I hope this is of some help, but if you have any other questions, just drop us a line at support@wordtracker.com - we've got a great support team.

Cheers,

Mal

Old 08-30-2012, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Mal,

I am very thankful for the information you have given me, and I actually find the "half-link" you gave me very informative. I also understand that you might not have too much time on your hand and you might not answer back, and that's OK, but I would like to ask you (or anybody else) this direct question:

What would you understand when I tell you that "1729" is the search volume for the keyword "israel"? I would like a simple answer please, I am not that intelligent when it comes to WordTracker data.

Does that mean an average of 1729 people type "israel" in a search engine and hit "search" every day? Every month? I honestly still do not get the answer.

Thank you again for the time, and again, the link was very informative, I am not sure why you can't post it, but please allow me to post it for those who would be asking my very same question, or at least those who want to read it with fresh eyes and answer my questions:

http://www.wordtracker.com/support/numbers

Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 AM

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply - I'm glad you found the 'link' useful!

The number 1729 means that in the last year, 1729 searches have been made in our catchment for the word "Israel" - it's not really safe to try to break that into a monthly figure as we don't break down the data in that way - but, for example, if you saw that the keyword "hebrew alphabet" had 578 searches (I've not checked), then one could safely say that "Israel" was the more popularly searched term.

What I'm really trying to establish for you here is that it's less important to look at the raw numbers (which are taken from samples, in any keyword research tool), and more important to look at the relationships between the keywords - it gives you a much more helpful overview.

Let me know if it's still not clear for you :-)

Mal

Old 08-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you for your kind response, Mal.

I find your answers very helpful and very very important. I was taught to pay attention to WordTracker's numbers back when I was an SBI client, now that I am on my own, I find it hard to deal with different kind of numerology. However, you made things more clear, I believe.

After your responses I think I might re-join WordTracker after a few months (once I am done with creating enough keyword-focused content pages for keywords I already have from SBI and WordTracker. So, I will see where the opportunities are.

Again, I would like to thank you for the time and effort. And I would like to know if you have a personal blog or website that I can check from time to time for new updates about SEO. Maybe if you can't post here you can send me a PM with it?

However, thanks for the help and have a wonderful day.

Adam

Old 08-30-2012, 11:19 PM

Food for thought...
I have several keyword research tools......

A system that I have used many times is the "what do regular people search for system"....

After you have done the searches and made your best estimate of your prime KWs...

Try to put yourself in the shoes of a searcher.....
If your target is an ordinary person...consider the search of a non-expert....the opposite for a professional...

You can always slip in a couple of extra words.....and with the Google changes...no hard is done...

Old 08-31-2012, 02:37 AM

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your kind words - I don't run a personal blog, but you could keep an eye on our site at /academy and /blog where you'll find regular updates talking about SEO and content management along with posts about other things as well - check it out, leave comments, join the conversation!

All the best,

Mal

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum