Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 09-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

SEO Tip of the Day - Sept 3rd, 2013 - SEO in the Personalization Age

Here is today's SEO Tip of the day.

Quote:
Personalization in search marketing is not something new—it was (re)launched on Google in 2005. Still, it was only with the launch of "Search, plus Your World" (January 2012), the rollout of the Venice Update (February 2012), and the introduction of Google Now (July 2012), that the personalization factor has become predominant.

If we ask everyday Google users about personalized search, though, this is what they answer:
Continued at: http://moz.com/blog/seo-in-the-personalization-age

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 06:47 AM

SEO Tip of the Day - Sept 9th, 2013 - SEO Best Practices: Setting Up a Blog

Have a blog? Today's SEO Tip of the day is a helpful one.

Quote:
Your blog should be the centerpiece of a larger initiative, one that engages your target audience in a "human" way, with the goal of creating signals that will aid/support what you're trying to achieve with SEO.

One mistake many businesses still make is creating posts that consist of self-promotion with little "meat" to entice anyone to engage with the content, much less share the content (in the hopes that you might earn a link or two, or any "viral" activity to the post, whatsoever).
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...ting-Up-a-Blog

Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 PM

SEO Tip of the Day - Sept 13th, 2013 - The Rel=nofollow Tag: Five Uses

Here is today's SEO tip of the day.

Quote:
The nofollow tag was introduced by Google in 2005 to help combat the use of spammy links for SEO purposes. This tag can be used in the rel attribute of any HTML <a> element. Setting this tag for a link instructs search engines that this link should not affect the link target’s search engine rankings. A nofollow link should give no link juice to the website that the link is pointing to (though we don’t know exactly what Google is actually doing behind the scenes of course).

You can set the nofollow attribute in hyperlinks as follows:

<a href=www.example.com rel=”nofollow”>Anchor Text</a>

To check if a website is using the nofollow tag on your link, you can have a look at the page source and search for “nofollow” in the source code.

Let’s look at five ways the nofollow tag can be useful for your website.
Continued at: http://dailyseotip.com/the-relnofoll...ive-uses/3649/

Old 09-20-2013, 06:59 AM

SEO Tip of the Day - Sept 20th, 2013 - Make Content Relevant For A Specific Location

Quote:
If you are marketing a local business, you know your online content has to be relevant for your chosen location. You want your website to attract the right type of visitors, i.e. people looking for information, services or products related to a specific city or region.

What you need in this case is a way to let search engines "understand" that your content is tailored to that location. At the same time, you should create a meaningful piece of content, not just something you put together for the sake of having your site indexed. How do you do that?
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...-location.html

Old 09-23-2013, 07:00 AM

SEO Tip of the Day - Sept 23th, 2013 - How Search Engines Rank Web Pages

Quote:
Once upon a time search engines looked at words. Over the years the movement has been towards concepts. Or as the new mantra goes, "things not strings¯."

Yes, indeed, the words on the page do come into play, but more often than not, it is more about identifying the concepts of a page or a website. This helps them better deliver results in a commonly more personalized world.
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...Rank-Web-Pages

Old 09-24-2013, 09:34 PM

SEO Tip of the Day - Sept 24th, 2013 - 3 Essentials for Great Mobile SEO

Quote:
Much of the discussion around mobile SEO seems to be a numbers game. Dozens of articles focus on mobile usage statistics – from 25 percent of all searches being performed on mobile devices, to cross-device decision-making. These articles have the goal of assisting professionals get buy-in from their bosses, or freelancers pitch to their clients.

While it's one thing to know that consumers are using a technology, it's quite another to know how, where and for what purposes.
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...eat-Mobile-SEO

Old 09-30-2013, 08:31 AM
v7n Mentor

Domain and Trust Authority Can Help Assess the Quality of a Site.

PageRank isn’t dead, but not only is it only one of 200 factors Google considers, it’s also not a metric that is available right now. Fortunately, there are other ways to assess whether a page or website has quality. Open Site Explorer reveals the what MOZ says is their
Quote:
… best estimate of how well a domain will perform in search.We calculate this metric by combining all of our other link metrics—linking root domains, number of total links, MozRank, MozTrust, etc.—into a single score.
Open Site Explorer also offers a Page Authority score.

Majestic SEO also plots a graphic of a website’s incoming links along a “trust” graph: https://www.majesticseo.com/.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:56 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct. 1, 2013: Heading Tags Revisited – H2 and H3 tags

It’s not news to anyone that a page should have an h1 tag (and only one) and that should probably be the headline for the page. But h2 (and h3) tags have gained more prominence, and most bloggers perceive them to be a critical part of their on page optimization. They are not a strong ranking signal, per se, but they are considered to help establish relevance. Most importantly, subheadings help organize a page and make it more readable. That keeps the reader engaged and more likely to stay on the page long enough to buy or link through to another page. Be sure they are logical and natural. If you are writing content that will benefit your readers, you won’t have to worry about keywords; just let the keywords flow naturally. If the topic warrants even more minor sub-headings, by all means, employ h3 tags. I am not sure it is semantically correct, but I like using h3 tags for quotes that I break out of the copy. I do tend to think of heading tags as they were originally intended - not just to organize but also to control the size of the font. So, perhaps that is a semantic use of them.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:57 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct. 2, 2013: Rel=canonical Tag & Duplicate Content Issues

Duplicate content issues are tougher than ever on website rankings; prior to Google’s Panda update, duplicate content on a site might have been filtered out or sent to the supplemental index but today it can actually harm a website’s rank.

If removing the content is not practical, you might find the rel-canonical tag to be helpful. While Google’s Matt Cutts says duplicate content only hurts you if it’s spammy (watch the video) it’s not always easy to be sure you and Google agree on what’s spam.

Moz has a good FAQ on the rel=canonical tag:
Rel=Confused? Answers to Your Rel=Canonical Questions

Old 10-03-2013, 05:47 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct. 3, 2013: SEO Copywriting Contest

Since Google continues to make content not just king, but lord of all the search realms, copywriting skills become increasingly important. V7N has launched a “top ten SEO copywriting tips” contest to help us all to hone our craft. Those who submit the best tips will have their submission posted in the V7N blog along with their link. So get out your nicest quill in your mind’s eye and start writing your submission.
Submit Your Best Tip: Copywriting Contest – Top 10 to be Posted on V7N’s Blog

Old 10-04-2013, 08:53 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct. 4, 2013: Anchor Text - It's About Balance

In the recent MOZ survey of industry experts conclude that exact match anchor text correlates highly with ranking – as does partial anchor text. But didn’t Google’s Penguin Update target exact match anchor text? It did, and if your site’s rank was dependent on exact match anchor text from forums, blog posts and directories, your site probably tanked or slipped significantly in the SERPs.

For example, I had a lot of forum links for ‘seo web design,’ and my site was on the first page for that term. It slipped to page 4. I changed all my forum links to reflect and interestingly, the site remains on the 4th page.

I think partial text links work well because the terms are still there … so a link that reads SEO web design will provide relevance for the target phrase.
It’s all about balance. Most of my anchor text is to my name or my company name, and that’s how it should be.

There's lots more interesting information on links and ranking factors in the complete survey. Here's an interactive version: 2013 Search Engine Ranking Factors Survey & Correlation Data.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
For example, I had a lot of forum links for ‘seo web design,’ and my site was on the first page for that term. It slipped to page 4. I changed all my forum links to reflect and interestingly, the site remains on the 4th page.
The anchor text seen by forum users is not necessarily what gets indexed.

E.g., vBulletin Version 4, as implemented by WPW, provides for a template containing placeholder Signature data that is subsequently overlaid by actual data from member's Profile. It is the former that is first seen by Google and thus indexed.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:12 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
The anchor text seen by forum users is not necessarily what gets indexed.

E.g., vBulletin Version 4, as implemented by WPW, provides for a template containing placeholder Signature data that is subsequently overlaid by actual data from member's Profile. It is the former that is first seen by Google and thus indexed.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
As you know, we don't dialogue in this thread. But that's helpful. What is seen, then? The URL?
The last I checked, which was not too long ago, owing to my noticing a large number of IBLs being indexed with the wrong Anchor Text, WPW was pre-loading "Home page" as the Anchor text.

Intended to raise the issue with Admin., but didn't get to it owing to physical disability.

If one board can do it, there's no reason to assume that no others do also do it. Only way to know for sure is to look at the source code.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:31 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct. 7, 2013: Images and Quality

We are constantly trying to assess what is quality content – not just for users, but for search engines. How do images fit into the picture? Of course, photographs and graphics are very appealing to the user. Not only is a “picture worth a thousand words,” an image breaks up blocks of text and makes the copy easier to read. A user is likely to stay longer on the page if you entertain your visitor with great images – especially if the copy demands it. I accepted a guest post on a real estate client site last week on quirky contemporary lighting, but not before I made sure we had a good photo for each of lamps in the article. No matter how well a writer can describe an object, a photo makes the written word come alive.

So, that helps the user – but what about search engines, what about Google? We know that the image alt attribute sends a relevance signal to search engines, (not to mention that a well optimized image that appears at the top of an image search will drive traffic) but in addition to that, a lot of SEOs suspect that part of the Panda update for on page quality includes a signal for images. In other words, the presence of an image may be a quality signal. If you think about all the spammy article sites and blogs you’ve seen that had no images whatsoever, it’s not hard to believe that Google would use images as a signal of quality.

So, do add images to your content, and be sure to name them accurately, and include an alt attribute, at the very least.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:33 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct. 8, 2013: Must a Search Term Occur on the Ranked Page?

Does content have to appear on a page for the page to rank for a competitive term? Apparently not. A Google query for backlink tool finds this Open Site Explorer at the top of the second page:

Explore the site in its own tool and you won’t find more than a few links with exact match anchor text for that term either, and the text doesn’t appear on the page. Anywhere. The term backlink analysis tool in the snippet is directly from the alt text of the MOZ logo in the header.

This is not advice to stuff alt attributes, but it is a good idea to think carefully about your alt text. The message is not that Google is using your alt text to rank the page – chances are that the term occurs on pages that link to this page. But clearly the use of the alt text here in the listing snippet is important.

This is, perhaps, that the context of a link – and the relevance of the page it appears on – is increasingly important.

More on this from Moz's Rand Fishkin:
Prediction: Anchor Text is Weakening...And May Be Replaced by Co-Occurrence- Whiteboard Friday

And more in-depth examination by patent analyst Bill Slawski
Not All Anchor Text is Equal and other Co-Citation Observations.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:38 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct. 9, 2013: Developing Viral Content

There is no more powerful SEO tactic than developing content that attracts shares and links - and it's rare that we just happen upon an idea that goes viral. More than a little research and thought goes into the process.

What are the ingredients of viral content?

It must be original, unique, and there must be an “emotional hook” says Kelsey Libert in a post on MOZ today.
Specifically:
Quote:
… it must evoke feelings of surprise and interest, which are generally essential to a successful viral idea.
Libert walks the reader through a research and development process to find ideas with the potential to go viral. She offers a wide variety of tools and guidance on how She shares, in depth, the brainstorming process that allows you to learn how to ask the right sorts of questions.

The discussion in comments is also well worth your time. Read the entire post:

Want a Viral Hit? Here Is an Inside Look at Our Ideation Process

Old 10-10-2013, 09:39 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct. 10, 2013: How to Learn from the SEO Mistakes of Others

Learn from the mistakes of others. One of the things I love about spending time on forums is that it inspires me to research issues and stay informed. I spend a fair amount of time fact checking and that keeps me up to speed.
One of the mistakes I see a lot of forum members make is not considering the source. You really can’t believe everything you read. Pay attention to the credibility of the “expert.” When I read new SEO information or claims on forums or blogs, I scratch my head until I can find someone I know to be an authority to corroborate a new idea.

I started a thread today on Top SEO Mistakes and How to Avoid Wasting Time and Money Top SEO Mistakes and How to Avoid Wasting Time and Money. Hope you will share your mistakes and how to learn from them.

And you might find these articles useful:

The Top Five SEO Mistakes According To Google’s Matt Cutts.

And it's amazing to me, and should be pretty embarrassing to webmasters who are still making these mistakes:
Top 10 shameful SEO mistakes, don't you think?

Come share your responses and ideas here, please:
Top SEO Mistakes and How to Avoid Wasting Time and Money Top SEO Mistakes and How to Avoid Wasting Time and Money.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 10-10-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:06 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct. 11, 2013: Need to Improve Bounce Rate? Stay True to Content

When we talk about improving our bounce rate (the percentage of people who “bounce” off your landing page without exploring your site further) we usually talk about improving content or navigation to make a site stickier. And that’s an important part of the process, but your bounce rate might improve if you change your meta description to more accurately reflect your content. You probably spent a lot of time crafting an alluring description, knowing that you can improve click-through rates with a well written listing, but if you have over-promised you may be attracting users only to disappoint them. By all means, your meta description should include a benefit and a call to action, but you must stay true to your content. In fact, consider lifting content directly from the page to the meta description. Write several and test to see which decrease your bounce rate.

Changing your title might also be helpful, but I am always a little more hesitant to experiment with titles when a page is where I want it in the SERPs. But don't overlook this element: it, too, must be true to your content if you want to attract targeted traffic.

We have a new thread here on the topic: How Have You Improved a Site's Bounce Rate?

More help on improving your bounce rate from Google: https://support.google.com/analytics.../1009409?hl=en.

Reduce Bounce Rate: 20 Things to Consider: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...gs-to-Consider (and meta descriptions isn’t on this list, either!).

Last edited by mjtaylor; 10-11-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: add link to forum thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct. 14, 2013: Ask the Hummingbird

In a Search Engine Watch article on what Hummingbird means to small business websites, SEW concludes that a successful website will need to answer specific questions; its content will need to be broader while still focused on the topic. Does the term, “long tailed keyword” mean anything to you? It will now. And a valuable metric for gauging the success of a website will be how many unique entrance pages a site has. From the SEW article:

Quote:
A website with more entrance pages:
• Is a stronger resource for answering questions.
• Offers expertise on more topics.
• Ranks on more long-tail keywords.
• Has more breadth in a specific space.
Where do you start to find that content? There are some terrific posts out there on how to brainstorm to create viral content, (we covered one resource for viral development a couple of days ago) but the first place to start, in my opinion, is in your own FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page. If your FAQ is well done, you already have a list of questions that can be expanded into more in-depth articles. And a link from your existing FAQ to each new “entrance” page can give it the initial link boost into the SERPs.

If your business is large enough to have a customer service department, talk to them about the questions they are fielding. What information does that department feel is missing from your website?

And of course, as a last resort ( ) you could ask your customers. Poll them on Facebook or Twitter to learn what they want to know. Or use your newsletter to ask customers what sort of information they might like to read about? Put a survey on your website – and offer a chance to win something – a discount on a product or service, or an Amazon gift card, perhaps) – to encourage participation. As a bonus, you’ll get new subscribers for on your email list.

If you want to discuss Hummingbird, V7N has a thread here: http://www.v7n.com/forums/google-for...ht=hummingbird

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

Closed Thread