Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 10-23-2009, 03:48 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
On a forum-community-affiliate hybrid that I helped build for a client I screwed up big time when setting up a cron, and made the system give away money to the members for the whole night. The next morning I thought my client would have a heart attack.

you know what they say, surprised users are happy users
So, did you still get paid lol? I don't think I would be very happy about that if I was your client

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Senior Web Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWizard View Post
So, did you still get paid lol? I don't think I would be very happy about that if I was your client
it just gave away a few cents to a few (thousands) clients.

Of course he wasn't happy but that's wasn't entirely my fault, the owner decided that he didn't need a development environment for the crons and he just asked me to write them and put them live.

That gave him a lesson on why dev environments, beta tests and QA are so important

Old 10-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter-ego View Post
Trusting a friend ... lied ... refused to take responsibility ... thrust my forum into a downward spiral ... years to rebound ... damage my reputation.

I no longer make friends staff unless they show a higher level of site dedication than my regular members.
I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen that scenario play out. Friends and family are the worst.

I'll never forget one time, I caught the site owners friend doctoring other peoples posts to support their own argument. They thought they were slick and removed all traces of it from the forum logs, but when I busted out the server logs they tried to argue that they must have had a virus or something and they were being framed.

While possible, it was very, very unlikely. The logs had their IP, were timestamped within the same timeframe of when they'd made other posts, and also had their usual User-Agent. It was a petty argument to begin with, nobody involved had any reason to want to frame the person.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.joebert View Post
I'll never forget one time, I caught the site owners friend doctoring other peoples posts to support their own argument. They thought they were slick and removed all traces of it from the forum logs, but when I busted out the server logs they tried to argue that they must have had a virus or something and they were being framed.
The chances of a virus editing a lot of posts to help someones argument is like 0%

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management