Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 04-17-2012, 03:01 AM
Contributing Member

Question Very chaotic section, how to deal with it?

I'm sorry I can't find a better subject line for this one.

Here is the situation...

If a particular section in a forum gets out of hand, lots of spams, rude posts, fighting and flaming, totally chaotic due to let's say 'irresponsibility' of moderators assigned in that section for a long time, and members are more likely give time to fire up the fight rather reporting it. Then members are protesting why moderators are seems like inactive in that section, what would be your recommendation or the best way to do? Is re-assigning new moderator and removing the previously assigned mods would be enough to aid the long existing problem? But if assigning new mods will be like 3 versus thousands, is it right? Newly assigned mods might be going nuts and crazy if that is the case. Yeah, it's hard to be on a battle field without any preparation.

How about closing that section and do some major clean up then re-open it again once the clean up is done and new set of rules / specific rules is implemented? Any ideas? Take me to your thoughts.

Thanks,
MrSS

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

What i would do is stop creating threads and posts in that section while the admin or a NEW moderator cleans up the spam and threads in that section. Once this is done, if there isn't a sticky thread up in that section with rules is to create one. Or edit the existing rules for that section and get a little stricker with them in that section. Also put up an additional sticky thread explaining how to report posts and why avoiding responding to the spam, bad post is the best course of action till a moderator gets to the report. It upsets me when someone reports a post then responds to it. Then end up getting themselves in trouble by doing this.

If you have to ban a few veteran members from that section for a certain period of time then so be it. The veteran members need to set the tempo and not fight or be rude. Only way i know of saving that section is to appoint new moderators to that section and enforce the forums rules whether it makes veteran members happy or not.

Someone let that section go far to long it sounds like so it'll take awhile with some bans, warnings, infractions and moderators being vocal in that section trying to get people to calm down and act like adults.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry for late response. I just let this topic open to make other member post their opinion.

Your suggestion Snake is very smart, no wonder why you become a Super Moderator. I'm also disappointed to those who reported a post then seeing 'em getting involved in the situation. For me it's like being a 'hero', and sometime a backseat moderators. You're right, it would be *bloody*, banning and infractions will be awarded to those unruly members. Right now the section, the forum where this situation is happening has now doing a little good, improvements are very noticeable little by little.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:42 PM

Lightbulb Why Is This Section Like This?

I think the first thing to do is to find out the reason why this particular section is like that. Does the section encourage such behavior? If so, maybe deleting the section would be the best lane to take.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moola Mails View Post
I think the first thing to do is to find out the reason why this particular section is like that. Does the section encourage such behavior? If so, maybe deleting the section would be the best lane to take.
Keep in mind that deleting a whole forum section will leave a ton of 404's and also not be good for the rankings and over-all forum stat's will be off.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 PM
v7n Mentor

It's pretty much always going to be the Politics and Religion section... by whatever name it goes. The cause is not real mysterious... it's the section where people's core beliefs and sacred cows are challenged. Emotions *will* run high... just the nature of the beast.

The only other section I've ever seen the generates such polarized responses is the dedicated Dmoz section... which IMO is the forum equivalent of of a vestigial tail and should just be deleted.

FIXING IT: Set a clear standard and enforce it with impunity
As snake indicated, if you have an outta control section, it needs dedicated attention to make it simmer down. Put up a pinned note from the admin explaining in unambiguous terms that the mayhem is OVER, PERIOD... and that anyone that acts otherwise will be summarily banned.

Then when someone inevitably tests to see if you meant it, ban them on the spot.

To achieve the correct effect, don't make them quietly disappear... leave the body in full view with a chalk outline and three big red Xs. Do a couple of those and do not miss a single offender (you absolutely can't play favorites in this case).. and the rest will get the message.

Last edited by robjones; 04-28-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Blue Rose Mentor

New mods might be the best idea. Or have a really "enlightening" chat with the existing mods and find out why they aren't doing what they are supposed to. Maybe its a small problem that can be fixed, or maybe they feel that they cannot control the forum they are in charge of. I have to agree with Snakeair and Rob Jones though. You have to lay down the law, and enforce it no matter what. Before that section starts to eat at the rest of the forum, and goes beyond the point where you can fix it.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management