Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 AM

Motorcycle drivers

As I was driving home from work yesterday, I saw an older man driving on a Harley without a helmet. Why don't people wear helmets???? One wrong turn or a minor detail could happen and your whole face could be scratched off. To make matters worse, they (usually men) take off and drive like the devil on the roads. Why? I want to start seeing more Motorcycle helmets!!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

A biker without helmet is not a real biker. Helmet is juste a part of the security equipment. How about gloves, leather jacket, leather pant and reinforced leather boots?

The only serious bikers I saw are the German.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:16 PM
v7n Mentor

Put it this way...
Nature has a way of weeding out the stupid people in all walks of life

Old 08-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

In some parts of southern Europe in the heat of summer people sometimes ride with no helmets....due to the serious heat - up to 40 degrees C. Although not safe, I can understand why they dont wear them. But in winter yes...definitely.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadywebber View Post
In some parts of southern Europe in the heat of summer people sometimes ride with no helmets....due to the serious heat - up to 40 degrees C. Although not safe, I can understand why they dont wear them. But in winter yes...definitely.
I am sorry, I don't understand why they don't wear one, when you know how a helmet can save your life. I see everyday some bikers with helmet in Nevada, and the temperature is above 43 C

By the way, when I was biker and hit the road with my face first on the ground at 120km/h, I was happy to have my full face bike helmet, perhaps it saved my life.

Last edited by Franc Tireur; 08-06-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Banned

slow driving Always care any thing but helmat is very importent for every bike direvers

Old 08-06-2009, 03:11 PM
v7n Mentor

Here's an article I wrote a couple of years ago on this very subject.

Quote:
Putting the Lid On Helmet Laws - Kevin A. Case

I’ve had several heated on-line debates on the issue of helmet laws in certain states throughout the US. The most common argument against the law requiring motorcyclists to wear helmets are they should be free to choose. Most, also go on to say that they choose to wear a helmet but don’t want the government telling them they have to. I say that the freedom of choice argument is fine, but the choice one makes needs to come from a list of alternatives, and when it comes to motor vehicles, there is the issue of public safety and collateral damage that needs to be addressed.

Have you ever driven down the road in your cage (motorcyclists lingo for car / truck/ mini-van etc.) And had a stone fly up from the road and hit your windshield due to a vehicle in front of you or one that has passed by in the opposite lane? I’m sure most of you have. I say the danger of this happening while riding a motorcycle, causing you to lose control has serious implications with regard to PUBLIC safety. Imagine getting struck in the forehead by a small stone at upwards of 100 miles per hour or more as you have to account for the speed of the rock as well as the speed of the bike. It is very probable that this would cause you to lose control and the possibilities of causing a multiple vehicle accident are greatly increased. That being said, the “choice” the rider makes by not wearing a helmet directly affects the safety of others.

You need to also look at the consequences of a single vehicle motorcycle accident. Orphaned children, widowed wives or husbands, undue stress and commitment (financial or otherwise) by family members to care for a seriously injured rider, unnecessary insurance premium increases are all factors that can be easily influenced by the choice to ride without a helmet. Not to mention the trauma inflicted on emergency services personnel and others involved in an accident, no matter whos at fault.

I cannot get over how strongly people fell about their right to choose to wear a helmet or not simply due to the fear of government dictating their lives. You certainly have the freedom of choice. Here are some choices we all need to ponder. Choose your battles; join the NRA and protect the right to bear arms, organize a peaceful protest and protect your right to assembly, fight for you right to party. Whatever you choose, choose wisely. Back to the helmet issue, I say you have the right to choose and the alternatives are wear a helmet or don’t ride. Your choice.

- By Kevin A Case

Old 08-06-2009, 03:41 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post

The only serious bikers I saw are the German.
I always say that if it's too hot to wear my gear, it's too hot to ride.

I've always gone out with full gear. It's my skin's insurance policy.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Reasons differ from each other. I have come to Philippines several times specially in part of Mindanao, most of the motorcycle drivers there don't wear helmet.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocolli View Post
Reasons differ from each other. I have come to Philippines several times specially in part of Mindanao, most of the motorcycle drivers there don't wear helmet.
I had a girl friend in my college that died because she did not wear a helmet with his boy friend motorcycle and had a fractured skull.

People are responsable to make a mature decision for their own life.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:25 PM

It feels good to ride the bike with out the helmet, just feel the wind or something, although it is dangerous, I do it sometimes but not on crowded roads or the highway, its illegal to drive without it from where I am at...

I had a friend who died in a motorcycle accident and I have been in bike mishaps as well but I don't think it would stop me to ride without helmet.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:16 AM
Banned

helmet are important while driving. they can save your life

Old 08-07-2009, 12:37 PM

I'm glad others see my view!!! I'm so sick of seeing those "start seeing motorcycles" stickers when the bikers have the audacity to drive like maniacs and make it impossible to seem them.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Because scars are bad ass. Facial scars make people afraid of you.... >:]

Old 08-07-2009, 12:52 PM

haha right, and it makes you so good looking too.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:16 PM
SEO Fanatic

To a certain extent, it's like not wearing a seatbelt, a condom, or playing the russian roulette.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Artist & Motion Designer

I'm not a believer of helmet laws - I bike and don't wear a helmet and the argument could be made that those who do where helmets and driver who see riders with helmets are more likely to be flippant about riding defensively because, hey, he's got a helmet! Whereas when you see a rider without one, I can almost gurantee you, you'll be putting a little extra space between you and him/her.

I now it sounds stupid but when I bike, a helmet wont stop a car from hitting me and certainly wont make me look around more - a helmet only work when you smack your head on the ground but it does nothing for cracking your back, or getting side swiped by a motorist who didn't see you and crushing your legs. The best way to avoid that when you're on the road is to be aware of everything around you - bikers, cars, trucks and pedestrians. Helmets can actually impede detection and on a bike, hearing, or cause long term injury by wiping your head around on a swivel with 3 extra pounds of motorcycle helmet on it - which may not seem like a lot but it feels like a lot.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Banned

IMO, riding a motorcycle in a is to risky especially here in our country. Wearing safety gear especially helmet is very important to increase the survival rate from accident. Even you're wear all safety gear if have no discipline or doesn't have experience of driving a motorcycle, it is useless because you're risk from accident. In our country many recorded of accidents in a highway that involves by a motorcycle.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliensimon View Post
To a certain extent, it's like not wearing a seatbelt, a condom, or playing the russian roulette.
Many people are playing the Russian roulette, when I see every day immature parents that don't have any children safety seats or are not attached with seat belt.

The day accident happen, the same parents will be devastated by the death of their loved one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU2jr...BFF9EA&index=9

Seat belt save more lifes than injured people with it.

Biker helmet will save life more than if you don't wear one and if you don't attach your helmet correctly when you ride a motorcycle, it is like if you don't wear any.

Life is beautiful, stay safe.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

I think that a helmet does have the ability to save your life, but you'll never have the opportunity to find out if you don't wear it...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby