Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Share |
Old 07-31-2008, 03:05 AM
Contributing Member

Recommendation - free unlimited auto google sitemap gen.

After looking about for a while and trying various options i found a FREE google sitemap generator with all sorts of great time saving features, and most importantly its unlimited so no silly 500page restrictions, great for those with larger sites!

I have been testing it on a couple of my sites since early betas and its now pretty polished, it will auto update your sitemap daily adding your new pages and it will even email you to confirm its updated with a page count, check it out:

Free XML Google Sitemap Generator php Auto Updates

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, only 18 steps to use...

Old 08-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy131 View Post
Wow, only 18 steps to use...
The instructions were made idiot proof for people who make coments like that.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:33 AM

I will try this one for sure.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

I am already using it. Thanks anyways, i had lost the link.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

and just to let you guys know, It does have some series of steps that need to complete before it generates the report. So be patient when you use it.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:41 AM

Hey guys i found a bunch of alternative tools for this.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...or&btnG=Search

Old 08-04-2008, 02:46 AM
Contributing Member

nice, have been looking for this type of tool I think this will really help me alot. thanks

Old 08-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Contributing Member

morph, most of the results in your google search are limited and require users to pay to create larger sitemaps, also none of these are automated, but its up to you if you wish to use an inferior or paid generator!

Old 08-04-2008, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
morph, most of the results in your google search are limited and require users to pay to create larger sitemaps, also none of these are automated, but its up to you if you wish to use an inferior or paid generator!
Yeah, but in my search i found this tool that much easier to generate sitemap for the site's first 5000 pages.
http://sitemap.xmlecho.org/sitemap/

Im not against your tool buddy, its just i want to provide an additional option aside from the tool you provided, that can be used also by others.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:43 AM
Contributing Member

Well, its not my tool, just one i use, and yes, there are some other options out there that are also usefull, but as you pointed out this one is limited, it also does not automatically add new pages to your map, this means you will need to either re-scan or add manaually, for many folks thats just extra work.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:02 AM

5000 pages(a very huge huge site) is a very large number. And i believe that SE(specially Google) is capable enough to know the entire site by giving this huge links(most of the links actually is not needed).

Its not a matter how many you links you can present in the sitemap, its a matter of putting the most important pages of your site in the sitemap. And then if you provide these, its all automatic for the rest of the page. Most SE are very capable enough to do this, that's how powerful they are.

If you have a very good link structure on your site, then definitely putting all your links in the sitemap is not needed anymore. And this is the ultimate goal as a developer for myself, is to make the site link structure to be easily access, search engine friendly and user friendly.

Another thing is that the tool you provided is very technical and unfriendly to install for a non programmer type of person. And that is why some people hate it. The tendency for them to do is to ask in a forum for help, contact a person to do it for them which sometimes require a fee for that or even search it in google and spend a lot time reading about its instructions in laymans term.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:17 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by morph07 View Post
If you have a very good link structure on your site, then definitely putting all your links in the sitemap is not needed anymore. And this is the ultimate goal as a developer for myself, is to make the site link structure to be easily access, search engine friendly and user friendly.

Another thing is that the tool you provided is very technical and unfriendly to install for a non programmer type of person. And that is why some people hate it. The tendency for them to do is to ask in a forum for help, contact a person to do it for them which sometimes require a fee for that or even search it in google and spend a lot time reading about its instructions in laymans term.
I'm currently 7 months into my hobby as a web developer seo begginer and that post seems to be utter drivel if sitemaps are not required then why does Google bot still require them for optimal indexing. It will index sites without them BUT at a much slower rate.

You call the tool very technical and unfriendly yet at the same time claim to be a developer what exactly do you develope? After only 7 months of html, php and css experience I found it very easy to install only two questions arose from the installation which I posted on the relevent forum and received a rapid response which only has to be admired.

How many of the other sitemap generators dynamically update your sitemap for you with no effort what so ever. This ones free well supported and requires the very minimum ammount of know how to install. If you can post an alternative that does the same job that is also freeware i'd be very interested to trial it.

Been spending my time on DP, this also happens to be a great webmaster forum and I'm pleased to be part of the community. Sorry for this outburst but I feel it's unwise to dissmiss something this good on the basis of what seems to be limited knowlege, experience and understanding.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by < E > View Post
I'm currently 7 months into my hobby as a web developer seo begginer
Thats my profession and not simply a hobby. And spend many years in developing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by < E > View Post
You call the tool very technical and unfriendly yet at the same time claim to be a developer what exactly do you develope?
Well im on the side of most people here who dont know much about web programming(exclude me), i only want to provide a much simpler/non technical approach in generating sitemap FOR THEM not just FOR MYSELF. And i know, most SEOs here dont have any access into the ftp server of their clients. So that's why online generated sitemaps is what most SEO indulge.

Ok i will not argue about this topic anymore because it doesn't help the readers of this thread, agree? I will only make some suggestions for vladd44's tool. Maybe i will join your forums one of these days

Uhhmmm here's one of my suggestion:
Put pictures on the manual on every step. It will definitely help the readers. Its very complicated if you only read text, agree?

Old 08-05-2008, 06:25 AM

The point is, the tool is there for those who do like to use sitemaps.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Thats my profession and not simply a hobby. And spend many years in developing.
Well I'm surmising you need to take your choosen profession more seriously.

Quote:
Well im on the side of most people here who dont
know much about web programming (exclude me), i only want to provide a much simpler/non technical approach in generating sitemap FOR THEM not just FOR MYSELF. And i know, most SEOs here dont have any access into the ftp server of their clients. So that's why online generated sitemaps is what most SEO indulge.
Exclude you! I beg to differ for starters there is NO web programming required it's a pre written php script!
In a previous post in this very same thread you dissmissed sitemaps alltogether stating that if your navigations well thought out theres no need for one. You have also failed to note my point about sites being crawled at a much slower rate without one. People who take SEO seriously would NEVER say such a thing. A questions arisen aswell if you have no ftp access or method to upload files to your webserver then how do they manage to upload a site and or files to the webhost at all?

Quote:
Ok i will not argue about this topic anymore because it doesn't help the readers of this thread, agree? I will only make some suggestions for vladd44's tool. Maybe i will join your forums one of these days
This isn't an argument at all! It's an imformed disscusion between adults with a similar passion. What doesn't help users of this webmaster forum are uninformed poorly written statements such as yours. I'd presume the developer would warmly welcome suggestions for the sitemap tool.

Quote:
Uhhmmm here's one of my suggestion:
Put pictures on the manual on every step. It will definitely help the readers. Its very complicated if you only read text, agree?
This statement simply affirms your posting in reguards to a tool you've not even taken the time to install nor test in any way shape or form. Theres simply nothing to take pictures of during the install process. I'll go through the install in leymans here for anyone who wishes to install, trial or test this sitemap generator.

#1. Download the file and extract it.

---------------------------------------------------------

#2. Upload the smap.php file to your webhost the same folder your index.html is located in. If you cannot do this then the tool is NOT suitable to your requirements and you should use another tool / method.

#3. Make a new folder in the same location as your index.html called scache

Ok everybody still with me? extract > upload > create 1 folder.

#4. Copy and paste this http://www.yourdomain.com/smap.php url into your browser replacing the "yourdomain" part to your own domain name.

#5. Your then prompted to create a password. Once you have choosen a password the SCRIPT yeilds an md5 encryption key. ( Long line of numbers and letters. ) Save this line of numbers and letters.

#6. Open the smap.php file on your computer and scroll down to line27 in the script file. you will see this :

$password ='THIS IS WHERE THE LETTERS & NUMBERS GO'; // enter pw here

Save the file and then simply upload & overwrite the one you previously uploaded to your webhost.

If this is too difficult to follow then maybe you should stick to blogging

#7. Copy and paste this http://www.yourdomain.com/smap.php url into your browser replacing the "yourdomain" part to your own domain name. This time you are prompted to enter the password you have just choosen. enter it.

#8. You are then prompted with a list of files currently in that directory on your webshost. Simply place a "tick" in each one you DO NOT wish to be included in your sitemap. Then click submit.

That is all thats required once this is done you will never have to manually update the sitemap again. Re submit your sitemap to google and use:

http://www.yourdomain/smap.php ( replace yourdomain with your own domain name )

This is your new sitemap url.

Minor point if your site uses a robots.txt then use the same url in that too.

NONE OF THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS REQUIRE SCRIPTING OR PROGRAMMING !

If any of this is beyond you then all I have to say to you is happy blogging

Last edited by < E >; 08-05-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

As an update to this thread, a sitemap generator for phpbb3 will be released shortly, with a version for phpbb2 and wordpress following soon.

I will post when the scripts have finished testing.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:56 AM

Google Related Issues.

Google is the most relevant site to search the related topics or issues this is the site on which we can rely for complete and accurate information. It's like every thing is possible to search when it comes to google. We can search information on technology, Jobs, About animals, Any latest updates and many more.
======================================
Peter
Car auctions

Old 09-03-2008, 03:26 AM
Contributing Member

Peter. please explain how your post is relevant to this thread?

Old 09-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
5000 pages is a very large number.
I have people complaining because I can't promise A1 Sitemap Generator will handle one million pages 5000 pages aren't really that much for some of the websites out there. Under all circumstances, I think calling something "unlimited" is bit too much... Even Google is limited in
capacity, just like any unlimited sitemap generator.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum