Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Share |
Old 11-11-2009, 01:17 AM
Contributing Member

when everything goes into worse then that's the time i format my pc.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 12:18 PM
v7n Mentor

My own computer - I format upon new OS installs/hardware modifications.

The school's computers... I format every single day. That's due to the fact that there are at least 200 computers - and it is the easiest solution to fixing any problems that they may have, considering no information is stored on the computer itself, everything just runs off the network. It requires about a 30 minute wait for XP to install, and around 20 minutes of software installation (which I have made a batch file to do this for me). Any hardware problems... They're generally not fixed, rather replaced. The school cannot afford to have a single computer down for more than a day. Gladly, they're going to be getting new computers in the next couple of months - so I may be given the opportunity to do some real troubleshooting, spending less time chucking stuff out and formatting.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:16 AM

I hate when I have to back-up my stuff before formatting my computer. Save God I'm doing this one maybe twice a year.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:22 AM
Contributing Member

This post reminds me that a format is due for my Laptop. Lol. I think I am too lazy to do it. Taking all the backup and stuff is err... But we all have no choice right?
By the way, I would like to know which external Hard drive you use for taking backups?

Old 11-16-2009, 02:29 AM
Banned

It should be not like that means once in months format your PC, I format my PC only when there is actually it needs.....

Old 11-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

I re-format my pc everytime it slows down with no reason..meaning no detcted virus but still preforms slow..thatsthe time I need t format it.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

NEVER

I have four PCs at home. In the last 10 years I had about 8 PCs at home. I never had to reformat them.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

If you have virus in your pc you have to format it. Bad thing is you have to delete all your files because the virus might be inside one of your files. Even if you reformat it, the file that saved might still have a virus.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 PM
v7n Mentor

I only format once and thats when I pick up a new drive. The remainder of the time I'm pretty careful and haven't had the need to reformat, yet.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Well if you are getting viruses I recommend windows 7 with our with out anti virus. If you choose to run an anti virus make sure your get avg. I have been running this beta install of 7 for about 6-7 months now with out formatting. I use the net 24/7 on it and I do not know what it is but windows 7 does not get viruses easily.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:22 PM
No Longer Active

I am totally shocked at how often some of y'all are reformatting. I think I had to reformat a computer once in the last 7 or 8 years. Don't y'all do regular maintenance and keep your PCs safe from viruses?

Old 11-19-2009, 01:28 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I am totally shocked at how often some of y'all are reformatting. I think I had to reformat a computer once in the last 7 or 8 years. Don't y'all do regular maintenance and keep your PCs safe from viruses?
I find it quite easy to get a virus, especially as a gamer. I play games like Armed Assault and IL 2 Forgotten Battles/AEO/PF and dl/run a lot of mods. Sometimes picking up a mod and installing it is not always a good thing and is now the reason I pretty much avoid most (if not all) .exe's.

Conversely, my daughter plays the Sims 3 and anyone who plays those games knows that you're continually adding content virtually every time you play. I've found a couple of corrupt and less than savvy files included in some of the mod sites for the Sims.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

just an update, i just formatted my desktop today lol

Old 11-21-2009, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Me too! I've never reformatted any machine I've owned. I can't imagine the headache of doing it once, let alone monthly, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter-ego View Post
I find it quite easy to get a virus, especially as a gamer. I play games like Armed Assault and IL 2 Forgotten Battles/AEO/PF and dl/run a lot of mods. Sometimes picking up a mod and installing it is not always a good thing and is now the reason I pretty much avoid most (if not all) .exe's.

Conversely, my daughter plays the Sims 3 and anyone who plays those games knows that you're continually adding content virtually every time you play. I've found a couple of corrupt and less than savvy files included in some of the mod sites for the Sims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupon master View Post
ya even i am pretty annoyed with virus it keeps on accumulating in to my p.c untill i format it. download less to avoid virus from net and do not open unauthentic links it might harm ur p.c
Doesn't having good antivirus software prevent this?

Old 11-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Banned

I format it when it gets so slow, that it gets difficult to fix by uninstalling programs, etc.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:09 AM

Formatting The Hard Drive

It happens with me as well ... Al tough i have a good security SW as well... So please make sure the Drive in which you have the OS installed and all the program files ... dont download anything and save there from the Web....

[Removed]

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 11-23-2009 at 01:14 AM.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:28 AM
Contributing Member

I formatted my PC last year but I was not happy with its configuration. So, now I got a new powerful PC which would hopefully go smooth at least for one year

Old 11-23-2009, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Till now I've never formatted my PC.
It's about 6 years old.
I just do update all my software's on regular basis.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:35 AM
v7n Mentor

Since I have a nice backup system I use for all new installs I generally don't go three months without doing a format. As a software developer and trainer though I install lots of applications so things slow down with me a bit quicker.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

I too am shocked at how often some of you are formatting your PC's. A few tips here to help some of you out:

1.) Get a router if you don't have one. The built-in firewall is an added layer of protection you should never be without. (Software firewalls are not typically a good solution)

2.) Regularly update Microsoft updates, reboot and make sure there are no issues.

3.) Update your anti-virus (whatever you use) and let it scan daily.

4.) Update your malware scanner (whatever you use) and let it scan daily.

5.) If your a gamer that mods or a torrent user, dual boot windows and ALWAYS test the .exe files BEFORE you move them to your primary OS. If the dual boot gets corrupted, you don't affect your main system. (When I say dual boot, I refer to an actual separate partition of your Hard drive)

6.) Don't use Internet Explorer. There are too many browsers out there that are not as vulnerable as IE. Firefox, Chrome, ect. are all good choices as they are better protected than IE is. Are they perfect? No, but imo they are way better than IE.

7.) Whatever browser you do use, clean it out regularly.

8.) Use the Disk Clean-up utility and De-frag at least once a month. (My computer, right click on your hard drive, select tools tab)

If you follow these simple steps as part of regular maintenance (number 6 excluded) you should not have to format so often to clean up your PC. Maybe once a year at most.

If anyone has other suggestions, feel free to add to this. Or if you feel this information is in error, please be constructive.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk