Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 11-04-2010, 05:02 AM
v7n Mentor

Google brings us mod-pagespeed

Hey there.

Today I installed a new module for the Apache server. The module is called mod-pagespeed and guess who is offering it to us for free: the big G ... Google itself.

I did not test it much for now, but be sure I will.

Here you can read more about it (it is still beta).

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...un-faster.html

I will do some tests soon and if wanted I can share some statistics

Just let me know.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 04:46 PM
v7n Mentor

I knew it was the right decision to test this module first:

http://code.google.com/p/modpagespee...s/detail?id=10

This error would kill all servers

And more bugs here:

http://groups.google.com/group/mod-p...7c2caaa88ce0ff

The idea is good, the code isn't (yet)

Old 11-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, I have speed-optimized my websites for a few months now, and I have not seen a noticable difference with my Google ranks.

I think if any it's right now not that important, and that only overtime it will have a noticeable impact on your Google rankings.

Tools such as modpagespeed must be installed on web servers. If you have a dedicated server you can do this yourself, however the majority of websites are hosted on a shared web server, so these people will simply miss out as they have no control over this, and I do not think google is going to punish people, and force them to move to dedicated servers, until the majority of large webhost will support this module on their shared servers.

Google is working with godaddy on the implementation of this module.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:23 AM
v7n Mentor

Marius,

that module for Apache is one approach to make websites faster.

It is still in "beta", so it will take some time to get a decent release.

Next week I will do some extensive tests. We will see what Google wants to achieve with this module.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:59 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaloney View Post
Thanks, I have speed-optimized my websites for a few months now, and I have not seen a noticable difference with my Google ranks.

I think if any it's right now not that important, and that only overtime it will have a noticeable impact on your Google rankings.
Google was fairly clear when it introduced site speed as a factor, that it was a minor factor. Speed would merely be a factor that might tip the scales when all else is largely the same between two sites.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:09 AM
v7n Mentor

In some time it can become a major factor... be prepared.

Speed matters, that's for sure.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

I've found the fcgid module for Apache speeds up PHP page loading time. cPanel/WHM servers have a built-in program called easyapache which makes it simple to recompile Apache with fcgid. It's also easy to rollback to your old installation using easyapache if fcgid doesn't work out well.

As a side note, it also adds some security by forcing PHP scripts to run as the user who owns it rather than running as the default web server username.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:43 AM
v7n Mentor

Google's mod_pagespeed has nothing to do with speeding up php or any other scripting language.

fcgid/suexec/suhosin or other stuff is totally irrelevant in this case.

We have only dedicated servers so there is no cPanel or similar stuff.

I would recommend reading on Google's PageSpeed site.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm View Post
Google's mod_pagespeed has nothing to do with speeding up php or any other scripting language.
I'm aware of that. But, as page load speed as a possible ranking factor keeps coming up in discussions like this I'm thinking that there might be a couple of different modules which could help.

Quote:
fcgid/suexec/suhosin or other stuff is totally irrelevant in this case.
Sorry if I was confusing. But yes, I read the blog entry about how it speeds up page loading speed across the board. Up to 50% they claim. I'm curious to possibly test it on a cPanel server.

Quote:
We have only dedicated servers so there is no cPanel or similar stuff.
Interesting. I'm not surprised you tested this on a non-cPanel server. Installing non-supported modules with cPanel is a pain from my experience. If it isn't already in the list of supported modules, then you have to manually disable the module every time you recompile Apache, then re-enable it after the build, or else it ends with an error and reverts back to the old installation. mod_pagespeed is probably not built into easyapache since it's still a beta.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Seeing this is still in beta at this time, thinking it's a little too early to jump on the bandwagon unless you really know what you are doing and your hosting outfit is ok with it.

While PageSpeed is stated to be one of the many factors Google takes into consideration, it really doesn't matter. What matters is how fast it loads for your target audience. Faster load time = referrals from your visitors = moving up in the ranks.

You can add all kinds of plugins and tinker with the server but ultimately if the background programming is not optimized (uses too many processes) and the database being used is not normalized properly it is not going to help, you are just adding to the problem by adding more things to process.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

I also agree that speed is going to be major issue overtime, as energy is getting more expensive, so the better pages are speed optimized the less energy would be consumed and this will be important to a "green" company such as Google as it's has a huge carbon footprint.

That installing such models on a web server will increase energy consumption at the hosting service is apparently not a concern for Google.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Seeing this is still in beta at this time, thinking it's a little too early to jump on the bandwagon unless you really know what you are doing and your hosting outfit is ok with it.
Yeah, I'm probably just going to test it if I have some free time. I wouldn't force it on users as a beta.

Quote:
You can add all kinds of plugins and tinker with the server but ultimately if the background programming is not optimized (uses too many processes) and the database being used is not normalized properly it is not going to help, you are just adding to the problem by adding more things to process.
Good point. It could backfire. Also, some people might be happy with their current page load time, anyway.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:35 AM
v7n Mentor

For me this module is not really necessary. My servers use mod_headers, mod_expires and mod_deflate anyway.

The code on my sites is always optimized.

But this module shows me where Google wants to go... speed matters!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
What matters is how fast it loads for your target audience. Faster load time = referrals from your visitors = moving up in the ranks.
Someone of the same opinion:
Quote:
Ever since Google announced page speed is a ranking factor, SEOs have been blaming their rankings on their site speed. Google is trying to make webmasters conscious of making fast loading pages but with anything Google does, when they provide a testing tool webmasters and SEOs can get a bit obsessive.

Page speed is important but how important? A WebmasterWorld thread has one SEO/webmaster blaming the speed of his pages for his loss in rankings. But the thing is, you won't be penalized or kicked out of the index for having a slow site. You might not rank as high as an site on the same level as you that might be a second faster.

From what I understand, speed is a very very minor ranking factor. So relax.

As Tedster points out in the thread, you should be more concerned with speed in terms of your users, not GoogleBot. Tedster said:
Quote:
I'd say that visitors are punishing slow sites much more than Google's algorithm ever will. So improve your speed for you visitors' sake and your business will improve. Even more, when visitors like your site, they are more likely to help you promote it on their own and your links and mentions around the web will grow, too, and that REALLY helps.
Got that? Good.
Google Doesn't Penalize For Slow Sites, Kind Of
(bolding by yours truly )

Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 PM
v7n Mentor

Noone said that Google is punishing a site that loads slow. The users will do that, and that is proven.

A test showed the following:

- Google slowed down their page for 500ms – 20% drop in traffic

- Yahoo slowed down their page for 400ms – 5-9% drop in full-page traffic (users leaving before site finished loading)

- Amazon slowed down their page for 100ms – 1% drop in sales

Ofcourse this is not the case for every site.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:27 AM
v7n Mentor

@HTMLBasicTutor

Ofcourse you are right, mate. It is still in beta and they are fixing bugs.
But it shows where Google wants to go.

I did some tests and they showed that, if you do not optimize at all, it can really help to improve code (!!!), combine, minify, ...

Inline base64 encoded images (saves one http request).

This module has potential, that's for sure.

I prefer "hand made" optimization

Old 11-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

I just joined cloudflare.com with some of my websites. might be worth to have a look at them as well if you want to speed up your websites and improve the customer experience.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:14 PM
v7n Mentor

Cloudflare and server-side optimization with mod-pagespeed (or done with mod-expires, mod-headers, mod-deflate,...) are different techniques.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby