Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 02-14-2012, 08:56 PM
No Longer Active

Thumbs down Would You Survive?

If there was a disaster in your area, would you survive? I'm not talking about the Apocalypse but rather a natural disaster like what happened during Hurricane Katrina. Would you be prepared to survive until help arrived?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 PM
No Longer Active

After watching an old series (The Colony) on Netflix I have come to the realization that by day 2 I would be sitting in the corner sucking my thumb...

Old 02-14-2012, 09:22 PM
v7n Mentor

Theres water around, plenty of canned goods and supplies, and means to defend em if needed. We have horses for transport. Lots of stuff around here to butcher, and that how i got thru college. Neighbor has chickens to supply eggs, we could barter, and theres places to hunt if meat runs short. Doesnt seem like an issue. Short of an atomic bomb i figure we're ok. In the event of a nuclear strike i figure it was just time to go.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

We're iffy. But if that disaster waits a few months, we'll be back on top of ready.

We've water for a few months on hand, a few canned goods, not much else. Things in another state have needed tending to for the past year, so...

Dang it, Cricket. Don't I have enough to do right now? :0

Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 PM
v7n Mentor

Nope. We lost power for 24 hours last fall and I just about went nuts. Disaster preparedness is on my To Do list...

Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Boy, good thing you guys don't live on the West Coast.

Here: Prepare Now for an Earthquake

Old 02-15-2012, 03:12 AM
Contributing Member

Mhhh.....very unlikely that a disaster would strike in my area. No earthquakes and to many mountains, so no tornadoes. But when something hits, yes, I would manage. Only thing that might be a problem is getting enough food supplies. Some canned goods at home and other food that would last for at least a month, enough gas cartridges for cooking or heating, some tents. I also know where I can get unspoiled water if normal water supplies would run out / get spoiled. Even when riots would break out, I know of a place where I could go and nobody would bother me.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:18 AM

I'm afraid of marauder acts.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

We live in an area where winters can be harsh, so we're prepared for Mother Nature. Extra food, water, a small solar array and a propane fireplace so that if we lose electric we'll still have heat and a way to 'plug in'.

I'm more concerned about 'Washington Disasters' than I am natural ones, though, since they tend to do far more damage and last longer!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

If we were not physically hurt during the event I suspect we would do better than many. I prefer not to 'rough it' if I can but I do know how.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM
v7n Mentor

I think I'd be ok. I've lived through hurricanes, ice storms that cut off power, travel, and water for weeks on end, and grew up camping. I must admit, I LIKE my air conditioning, hot showers, and internet, but in a survival situation, I think I'd be reasonably well prepared.

My biggest issue would be water. If I dug a new well, I understand we're on a good water table. It's definitely on my wish list. I do have plenty of barrels I could store water in, and I guess I'd be having to make a water purifier if it came to that. But as it stands right now, I'd have to go get some water soon. Most of what I have around here is in use by the waterfowl, and I don't think it can be made clean enough to use.

In winter, my biggest issue would be what to feed the animals. I think their numbers would have to be thinned ... at least the less productive ones. It's a way to keep meat fresh until you need it though. And right now things are greening up enough that I could feed half of them on what's growing, though they might not be happy about it. I'm almost out of hay, but normally I have some stored, so if I had it, that would make a difference. Just about all of my animals can eat hay except for the chickens and ducks, and their diets are 50% forage.

And I don't live in a fortress, but I'm off the beaten path, and could defend as well as anyone, probably better than some. I have a lot of like-minded neighbors around.

Didn't use much of the wood for heating this winter, and I can cook with it if need be. My llama CAN pack, and I have one very large goat (if I didn't eat him) who could probably be useful as a draft animal. It would probably make more sense to get with neighbors who have horses though, and barter for transportation services.

But as for food ... I have plenty. It's walking around all over the place out there. I try to keep a pretty good pantry store. And a few weeks of animal feed. Ammunition. Wood to burn. Yup, water would be the issue. Haha, I think the local water co-op has passed a rule that no one can store large amounts of water. I could use all those barrels for water (I'm thinking of letting the ducks and geese nest in them), and run afoul of the law.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:46 PM
v7n Mentor

Absolutely, that's what a Marine does, overcomes and adapts. I don't think the wife would handle it to well and that might put me over the edge. lol

Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

It won't be tasty but most homes have 40-50 gallons sitting in the water heater. For drinking and the limited cooking you would do that should last a while.

If you want to prepare get some of those purification pills to keep on hand. Any puddle in a pinch.

Muddy don't do it.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 PM
v7n Mentor

LOL.

I actually have some supplies that would kill germs in water. My puddles and pools are full of duck poo though. Not appetizing at all.

I can always put up about 500 gallons or so in my barrels. Just haven't done it. Guess I'm not a hardcore survivalist.

I do always keep at least several clean gallons on hand.

Given the history of the water company service around here, I really SHOULD put up at least a couple hundred gallons. They have been known to shut off the water to the community for various reasons (or no reason at all) from time to time. And last year during the drought, a nearby town suffered so many burst pipes due to the dryness of the ground that they were without water for a week or so several different times.

No warning, it just happens. Water to drink isn't such a problem in that case. you can always run to the store and grab a few gallons. Water for washing or filling troughs or watering the garden is a whole 'nother story.

OK, Cricket ... sigh ... I guess I SHOULD be prepared for that.

Guess I'll put up a few barrels. I can spare 200-300 gallons' worth. I can't afford to buy bottled water for the animals, LOL, so might as well be prepared.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 PM
v7n Mentor

Probably yes. There are 10 commercial centers located 5km from my home, so pretty much everything possible would be close by in a case of emergency. I also believe somewhere nearby an old bomb shelter is located within the mountain, thus atomic explosion is also survivable. I fancy my odds

Old 02-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

That is commendable but in the event of a nuclear strike, I will probably practice the old CD drill they taught us in school. Get under the desk and tuck your head between your legs.

That position makes it easy to kiss your --- goodbye.

Last edited by ScriptMan; 02-15-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: drill for drive

Old 02-15-2012, 06:19 PM
v7n Mentor

Seems I've missed that drill

Still, there are atomic bunkers built in my city. After WWII guess the fear did it's part. I sincerely hope I'll never have to find out if they work

Old 02-15-2012, 07:08 PM
v7n Mentor

To be fair, those desks were very well built. If they couldnt make a nuclear blast survivable, what could?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kids_school_desk_25_roanoke_co_25458485.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	15882  

Last edited by robjones; 02-15-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:27 PM

Hard to say....have had some close hurricanes.......
We are getting older...can be harder to handle some problems...)

Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
That is commendable but in the event of a nuclear strike, I will probably practice the old CD drill they taught us in school. Get under the desk and tuck your head between your legs.

That position makes it easy to kiss your --- goodbye.
Way to young for these kinda drills but I saw the educational video with Bert the turtle

[YT]IKqXu-5jw60[/YT]

Remind me: There is a bomb shelter in a nearby school but I doubt that it would withstand a nuclear blast. But who would nuke Austria anyways .

Last edited by snakeair; 02-16-2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: fixed youtube link

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby