Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Website Review

Website Review Forum offers feedback and constructive criticism regarding the design, content, SEO, marketing, or overall impression of your website.

Share |
Old 07-23-2012, 12:04 PM
v7n Mentor

Review: ResponsiveDesignTest.net

Hi all,

I know I was not here a looong time... true, and I must admit that I do not really have a lot of time.

However... I did a new website. It is for testing your responsive designs.

The URL is : http://www.responsivedesigntest.net/

I know there are other sites but there was one "feature" that I wanted to have... I don't want to scroll with my mouse wheel.

Now I can click on the buttons and the site scrolls exactly where I want it to.

That's the reason why I did this page. Not to look good, to help people (and me) to check designs for responsibility.

Check out yourself and tell me what "feature" I should add. No, I won't wrap any "graphics" around the iframes, sorry.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Here is one thing that might your traffic. Say we want to try the example.com on your site. Your current URL is http://www.responsivedesigntest.net and after clicking on test now and seeing the result, the URL stays as http://www.responsivedesigntest.net. If you can change it to http://www.responsivedesigntest.net/example.com and add a history page where it has all the latest tested URLs say, then you will get a huge traffic from search engines. People constantly search for the domain name itself and you will have a good chance of showing up in search results, if you have their domain in your URL.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 07-31-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM
v7n Mentor

I am not sure if it is possible to add that "feature"...

Will have a look if possible, thanks for the suggestion

Guess it would need some backend coding... too bad, I am only frontend developer. HTML/CSS no problem, PHP... not my "world"

Last edited by csm; 07-23-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:35 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeadstime View Post
Here is one thing that might your traffic. Say we want to try the example.com on your site. Your current URL is http://www.responsivedesigntest.net and after clicking on test now and seeing the result, the URL stays as http://www.responsivedesigntest.net. If you can change it to http://www.responsivedesigntest.net/example.com and add a history page where it has all the latest tested URLs say, then you will get a huge traffic from search engines. People constantly search for the domain name itself and you will have a good chance of showing up in search results, if you have their domain in your URL.
If you know someone that can code this feature let me know :-)

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 07-31-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Contributing Member

What are the current widths in use. You may want to use them as examples (I think some of your sizes are too small). Do you also check for cell phone and Ipad sizes. Browser shots gives displays of different browsers. You may want to incorporate something like that but using Browser Shots you can load too many samples and it takes too long to load. You may want to limit the number of samples if you do that. Also like HTML Tidy, You may want to give suggestions on how to correct or improve the page.
My problem now is I have to go to so many sites to get what I need to check my site. Too bad someone doesn't have them so they can check several items and make corrections or tell you what you need.
-
hope this helps
falcon

Old 08-08-2012, 10:09 AM

For me the first thing that popped into my head was "cool, I can see how my website looks on mobile browsers AND on 'real' browsers at the same time."

The problem is, for myself and I'm sure for many others, that I render a different css file based on user agent and not based on screen size. So your 320px view is quite accurate for what the site would look like if you shrunk your desktop browser down to 320px but not at all accurate for if you view the site from a mobile device.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:38 AM
v7n Mentor

We are working on a new version that will send user agent, too

Old 08-21-2012, 07:02 PM

It was very hard for me to scroll down the page with the broswer scroll. I like the idea, but I just became a bit frustrated with it and left. There was a ton of things going on and I'm still not sure what you were trying to provide.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

That would be cool to be able to make changes to the css on the fly and see how it affects the layout.

I have been working a lot recently learning about responsive designs so I think this is great. Some sites I use seem to have problems sometimes with the nav buttons and they don't always work as they should. I like being able to see ALL widths at once so I quickly scroll down the page and see how it will look on all instead of clicking something and reloading to view different sizes.

I don't think it takes too long to load. Sometimes I try a few minor changes to the css (sometimes a lot) using trial & error to experiment and figure things out so I like being able to refresh one page and get a look at everything at once.

Good job man!

Old 08-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Looks good.
I'd love to see a handler for the viewport meta tag
<meta name="viewport" content="width=768;" />
This enables you to fit a website to a specific width on a mobile. But I have yet to see a Simulation website that takes it into consideration. So I still check my sites on an actual phone or tablet.
Btw I've been using an a javascript bookmark snippet for this same purpose. It's a little easier to use because you don't have to copy the website and go to another... you just click the bookmark and it converts the current site that you are on.
check it out for ideas: http://responsive.victorcoulon.fr/

Old 09-12-2012, 04:47 PM
v7n Mentor

Nice idea...

but we are already working on another solution ;-)

The bookmarklet is a cool idea, will take a look at the code :-)

Old 09-19-2012, 11:26 AM

I actually like this site, the only thing I dislike is the moving green banner, makes me feel like I am being hypnotized

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Website Review