Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 10-13-2014, 09:30 AM

htaccess and cache-control

Hello, I've a question.

My hosting updated its servers, using the old server I was able to use cache-control directive, with the new server I'm not able any more (if I put the cache-control code in the htaccess I obtain a 500 error).

I've told the hosting about that and it's reply was:

"with the new apache/php version using this header is senseless, you need to implement the function in the pages of your website".

Using phpinfo() function I see Server API is Apache 2.0 Handler and PHP version is PHP Version 5.5.12-2ubuntu4 .

What the hosting reply means? Is it true that with those apache/php versions I should avoid to use cache-control?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

I've never done it with Apache so I can't answer that.

Doing it with PHP at the page level is only a few lines of code added to the top of each script. That I may be able to help you with if you want to learn.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:06 AM

Hi ScriptMan, txs for the hint.
Which PHP script would you use to make cache?

Old 10-14-2014, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

If there is a particular script I am not aware of it. There are examples out there on the web and you have to piece together what you want. Let me explain the process. Then you tell me about how your site is built and I will offer some code for you.

Exactly what code is used at the top of you page will vary depending on how the HTML and queries are being generated.

The caching process involves only 2 section of code. One goes at the top of each and every dynamic page and does a simple check to see:
* if the page exists in the cache file folder and if it is new enough (based on time factor you set) to use
* Serves that page if it exist and is timely
* terminates the rest of the scripts on the page
* or allows the rest of the page to execute

If the page is being regenerated then it writes the HTML rendered to an output buffer so that at the bottom of the page:
*the contents of the buffer file are named and
*the data is written to a file that identifies the page
*the output buffer is cleared.

In my usage that part of the code is fairly standard and is placed after the closing </HTML> tag on the script.

PHP Code:
<?PHP

if ($cache=="on")
    {    

$cachefile "cache/".$page;

$fp fopen($cachefile'w');

fwrite($fpob_get_contents());

fclose($fp);

ob_end_flush(); 
    }
?>
I do think I should point out that caching may decrease the processing load on a busy server but it may take longer to find and serve the file than serving it dynamically. This depends on the total number of queries per rendered page and the input output disc speed.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum