Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 11-06-2018, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

The markets, despite a few "ups and downs" throughout the day, look like they might close favorably. Nothing earth shattering, but positive (I hope).

Tomorrow, however, will most likely be a different story. I'd love to have a crystal ball right about now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-06-2018, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

I finished all my belated recording keeping.

Bah Humbug.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

This should cheer you up:

Quote:
U.S. stock futures rose in early morning trade Wednesday as the U.S. midterm elections played out just as investors expected with the Democrats winning back the House of Representatives and splitting Congress.

Investors believe the Washington gridlock scenario will be best for the market, allowing President Donald Trumpís business friendly policies to continue, but keeping a check on some of his more disruptive market actions like the trade battle with China. History has also pointed to strong returns for equity markets when Congress is divided.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...7Go?li=BBnbfcN
At least here in KY we established the fact that 8M $ in out of state money can not buy a house seat.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

Yesterday's market showed some caution with a few swings, but all-in-all, it was a positive day.

I'm optimistic that the markets will see today as a "new day" and am interested to see how they perform.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
Yesterday's market showed some caution with a few swings, but all-in-all, it was a positive day.

I'm optimistic that the markets will see today as a "new day" and am interested to see how they perform.
Pretty good day so far. I got a decent bounce on some dead cats and dumped them for LT loss. I need the offset for a house I sold. Trust me they are never getting back to what I paid.

Wow, the last time I looked there were still 4 senate seats too close to call.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Markets are looking good today. S&P up 1.6% so far. The only thing down today, so far, is Oil.

Last edited by LMD; 11-07-2018 at 11:32 AM.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

All I can hear this week is several of the neighbors trying to start up their snow blowers.

I'd say more than half of their machines need some maintenance - and/or at least fresh gas (fresh gas being the de facto rule of thumb). But, I guess it's certainly better to know now if they're going to work or not, rather than being surprised when the machine won't start right after the first big snowfall.

Last edited by LMD; 11-07-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I'd say more than half of their machines need some maintenance - and/or at least fresh gas (fresh gas being the de facto rule of thumb). But, I guess it's certainly better to know now if they're going to work or not, rather than being surprised when the machine won't start right after the first big snowfall.
That is what the smarter person does. I sure hope the older people have electric start; cranking those that have not been started for 6 months can make ones back hurt.

We hardly ever get enough to justify owning one, so I don't. I do sometimes, about once every 3-4 years, regret not buying the dozer blade for the riding mower.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
We hardly ever get enough to justify owning one, so I don't. I do sometimes, about once every 3-4 years, regret not buying the dozer blade for the riding mower.
I have strong boys here - but they have their own lives and never get up early enough to shovel, so I pay a service to plow the snow. It's not so much the driveway (which yes, it can be a lot for anyone to shovel after a bad storm), but the hardest part is the stuff at end of the driveway that the street plows push up on the bottom bit that's usually wet, really heavy and more than I ever want to try and do by hand ever again.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
, but the hardest part is the stuff at end of the driveway that the street plows push up on the bottom bit that's usually wet, really heavy and more than I ever want to try and do by hand ever again.
Yep. The government can really and usually does mess things up. That is some of the heaviest snow you will ever try to move about

I'm retired, the wife works from home or is on the road. The only time I ever do any part of the drive is when she is away and has to get in when she gets home. Her schedule is flexible enough that she does not travel when the roads are dicey and there is always paperwork to be done.

My neighbor has to go when he has go, has a snow blower and sometimes likes to play so occasionally I get a free throw job. Had to change that wording, it just did not sound right.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I get a free throw job. Had to change that wording, it just did not sound right.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:02 AM
Administrator

You guys are talking about the s word already!

Couple of suites have Xmas lights up already I noticed yesterday.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
You guys are talking about the s word already!

Well the stores have theirs up for at least 6 weeks!

And you threw the S word (Santa) out at least a month ago.

I'm just getting around to cooking the prime ribs bones from last Christmas.

I did pick up a turkey for our TG day. Store ran the suckers for 37 cent a pound no additional purchase required. By far the best price I recall in many years.

Oh, and we the s flurries in the forecast for Saturday which is way early.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
I installed the clear, cool-white lights. Leave them up all year, but of course, don't turn them on. I'll be digging out the boxes with the garland and other decorations to set up soon, but I don't do ladders much any more. Especially those ladders that extend to the second story where the current lights are up, and stay up!

Old 11-08-2018, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
And you threw the S word (Santa) out at least a month ago.
Not that S word!!!

Old 11-09-2018, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
but I don't do ladders much any more. Especially those ladders that extend to the second story where the current lights are up, and stay up!
My knees don't allow me to do ladders anymore.

I decorated the yard one time. Took me until Derby day (first Saturday in May) to get them down again and that was the end of those escapades.

Buckle up for today's wild ride.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Buckle up for today's wild ride.
Ugh - all the gains in the past couple of days (which was only a small percentage of the total October losses) is all but gone. But, it's still early in the day. This, apparently is the "dip" after the "wave". Apparently more "dips and waves" are in store.

The only good news in all this is "history". Apparently the dips after the midterms are historically followed by upward gains - eventually. Although, there's never been a couple of years like the last two ever.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

I would not be surprised to see a few more down days. Having freed up some cash I actually welcome them.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

That's what some of the analysts were saying - investors were selling a little while back, and putting their money aside to "wait out" the dip.

I don't know if that was fueling the dips to go deeper or not, but although those people who got out certainly were not making any money, not losing any of their stakes could certainly be looked at as making money, in a round about way. And, those investors will get back in at the right time to ride the "return to normal" wave - whenever that time actually is.

That said, and I don't know how true it is, but a friend mentioned that someone they knew (who I also knew slightly) cashed out sometime in 2007 before the crash where everyone who still invested, eventually lost up to 30%.

I suppose that person got back in and rode that wave to make a lot of money while things were "normalizing" during the next few years.

Last edited by LMD; 11-09-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: add

Old 11-09-2018, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
That's what some of the analysts were saying - investors were selling a little while back, and putting their money aside to "wait out" the dip.
Well if they were, as I should have done, I missed it. I dumped some dogs earlier in the week and now I have to get back on the horse or I will never ride again.

Quote:
That said, and I don't know how true it is, but a friend mentioned that someone they knew (who I also knew slightly) cashed out sometime in 2007 before the crash where everyone who still invested, eventually lost up to 30%.
No one with the ability to hold on to the losing stock lost anything in 2008. I think the value went down about about 30% but a cash account does not have to sell at a loss. By 2010 they were back on track and rising. A couple of years of lost potential is all that was lost. By 2014 you never knew it happened unless you were smart enough to double down in 08 or 09.

If you need the money within 5 years, put it in the bank and not in the market.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby