Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 10-23-2013, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Lightbulb Apple is more like a fashion label than an electronics company, what do you think?

When Apple launched the iPhone 4 in 2010, the company’s website featured large images of the device with the text “This changes everything. Again.”

If you watch the original 2007 iPhone announcement, you’ll be hard-pressed to deny the device’s overall revolutionary claims.

But now that Jobs is gone, we can see this shift from futurism to fashion more clearly. Take the iPhone announcements. Instead of promising change and revolution, the iPhone 5C offers itself “For the colorful,” a slogan we’d be more likely to see from Benetton or J. Crew than from Apple.

The company (maybe we should start calling it a “label”) is releasing a new line, seasonally, and needs to train its audience to feel increasingly comfortable dropping hundreds of dollars each season. The “change” in question is not regime change, but a change between tennis at the club and dinner downtown.

Phonearena also is thinking that they have even made the case that Apple is a design company first, but that isn't quite right. Apple isn't a design company, it's a fashion company.

What do you think?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

I agree. It seems like it's changing its market from "people who actually understand and use technology" to "who wants to look the coolest." It's very disappointing. I'm sure Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave right now.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Geez, I just got my iPhone 5s this past Saturday and got the plain old silver one. I don't need to make my phone look all fancy and cool. I have it for a purpose and that's it.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:12 AM

totally with you on this. I think this is just stereotyping that apple started. I love the retina display of iphones but yeah they even ordered this from other company that also produced cellphones. I am an android fan.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Definitely, they are more of a "Revolutionary company". If you've seen the documentary of Steve Jobs, then you will definitely know that Steve wasn't aiming to be a top-notch businessman/CEO. He was more busy on changing the world.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby