Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 AM
v7n Mentor

Have a Thanksgiving recipe or tradition to share?

Do you have Thanksgiving traditions or a favorite recipe?

My Thanksgiving secret is that I brine my turkey with salt AND sugar for a few hours before I bake it.

I use enough water to cover the turkey and add 2-3 cups of sugar and 2-3 cups of salt. (In a plastic dishpan.) I keep it in the fridge.

Before baking, I rinse the turkey off really well. The salt has already been absorbed into the meat so you don't need salt on the "outside".

Mixing equal parts of butter and (here's a secret) corn syrup and smothering the turkey in this mixture makes the skin a lovely brown color.

(I also do this to many of the chickens I roast as well.)

If you are feeling adventurous, shove herbs between the skin and meat of the turkey.

For stuffing, I like Pepperidge Farms. LOL (No homemade stuffing here!!)

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

While I don't have a recipe, we do have a tradition that we have done the past few years with about 15-20 people. It's called Turkey bowling.

Create a bowling lane in your driveway or some other level surface using cardboard (longer sheets work better). Duct tape them together.

Purchase 10 of the cheapest 2 liter bottles of soda you can find. Dump out the soda and fill with water. These are your bowling pins.

Get a medium FROZEN turkey and use that as the bowling ball. Use the handle on the mesh bag. If that handle breaks, use plastic grocery bags.

Every person gets 2 frames of bowling (more if it's a small group). The winner gets to keep the beat up frozen turkey :-)

Lots of fun!

-- Bill

Old 11-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbbv View Post
While I don't have a recipe, we do have a tradition that we have done the past few years with about 15-20 people. It's called Turkey bowling.

Create a bowling lane in your driveway or some other level surface using cardboard (longer sheets work better). Duct tape them together.

Purchase 10 of the cheapest 2 liter bottles of soda you can find. Dump out the soda and fill with water. These are your bowling pins.

Get a medium FROZEN turkey and use that as the bowling ball. Use the handle on the mesh bag. If that handle breaks, use plastic grocery bags.

Every person gets 2 frames of bowling (more if it's a small group). The winner gets to keep the beat up frozen turkey :-)

Lots of fun!

-- Bill

You ought to adapt that for Christmas using a fruitcake as the ball.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:21 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Do you have Thanksgiving traditions or a favorite recipe?
1) Rocks Glass
2) Ice
3) Rum
4) Splash of Coke

Works for Christmas too

Oh, and I take the phone off the hook

Old 11-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Sausage meat stuffing in the turkey's bum.

Sage and Onion stuffing in the other end.

Boiled red cabbage w/ bacon.

Roasted parsnips.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

This will be my first year making the Turkey in my family. I've been looking up all kinds of ways to brine it. So I'm planning on combining different recipes to make my own. I really hope it comes out good. I'll be using Apple juice, Orange slices, garlic, sage, , and of course salt for the brine. And then while cooking it will be stuffed with garlic, sage, thyme, parsley, celery, carrots, and onions. Please taste good, please taste good, please, please, please, taste good!!!

Old 11-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know that I ever ate a brined one. This is like a marinade? Or do you inject the solutions?

Old 11-26-2013, 12:22 PM
No Longer Active

I shared this story on Facebook but I want to share it here as well...

It was our very first Thanksgiving in Texas many years ago. I felt like the world's worst single mama in history. Work had been insanely busy that week and I was not prepared for the holiday. For some reason I wasn't expecting everything to be closed. I figured that the worst case scenario would be that we would eat out somewhere. I was driving around with 3 hungry kids and literally couldn't find a single place to go.

We finally stopped at a local icehouse and picked up grilled hot dogs that had clearly been there way too long. We smothered them in ketchup and mustard and headed to a local park. The kids should have been putting me through a major guilt trip but they simply ate, laughed, and played.

To this day, every year about this time, one of us mentions that Thanksgiving that mama completely forgot but it never fails to make us smile....

One month later, following that crazy Thanksgiving Day in the park, our house burned down just a few days after Christmas. For me, that was the true Thanksgiving as we sat on the side of the road watching the fire trucks fight a battle to save our home they would not win. In that moment I gave thanks because we walked away without a scratch and I learned what truly mattered in life. It wasn't THINGS.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby